Personal View site logo
RED attacks Sony
  • 71 Replies sorted by
  • The patent revolves around REDs patented format REDCODE RAW. Which is their version of lossy wavelet compression applied to bayer data for video, combined with uncompressed PCM audio. They believe that Sony is using the same method, the same algorithms.

• If its all about raw wavelet compression then why doesn't cineform aka gopro, sue Red? I believe they were the first to come out with a visually lossless wavelet video compression format years before Red was even thought of.

• As I recall now, I remember a post from Jannard about quitting the business altogether if something did actually come out and beat their products...

• When it comes to litigations like this, it's all about losses vs gains.

RED has nothing to lose anymore because they will be just that small funky camera company ( with a bad attitude ) in a few weeks. As soon as all those 4K cameras start to roll off the assembly lines RED will get steamrolled in volume production race. RED have offered all they could to the market in the near future and from this point on they have to thrive on gimmicks and fanfare from fanboys and perhaps a few units sold here and there to some faithful producers. Being " FIRST " will wear off soon and then the consumer start considering the usual factors in a smart purchase and that's when the RED's demise begin. Scarlet just turned to be an overpriced pinkish toy ( no- not Vitaliy's favourite shade ), Epic never came out of Beta stage and the consumer has to rent TWO to cover the down time and the stupid cropping on over crank is just stupid. Accessorizing RED cameras truly is a pain and it is downright rip-off .

What is RED's gain in this litigation !? Well Vitaliy already has brought up a couple of brilliant points. Let's add to that. Is it possible that RED is forcing SONY to buy RED and dissolve it within ? That way JJ is going to make gold from coal.

• Golden rule: ”If you can’t beat them join them” It’s all about your business position regardless technology or market. Lawyers run the show. But do not under estimate NASA. They have been given the legal rights to a number of patents without being directly involved in fighting companies’ disputes. Some of them causing both companies multi million dollars bills from lawyers side but ending up with nothing.

• Some Jannard responses:

We have taken a bit of flak for filing a lawsuit against Sony Electronics.

1. Sony stepped up and finally supported 4K from cameras to displays. That is helping to cement 4K as the real cinema standard. Good. We actually have a Sony 4K 84″ display and Sony 4K projector at RSH for reference.

2. We are heavily invested in concepts, inventions, designs, development and manufacturing of RED cameras, REDRAY and the RED Projector. Each is unique and has motivated the industry to get better, for the benefit of all. We don’t mind others joining the 4K revolution… quite the contrary, we embrace it. What we don’t accept is others just borrowing our technology, intentionally or unintentionally. We admire invention and happily pay for and license great technology from other companies when it is useful to our program.

3. We have created many jobs in the US leveraging our vision and technology and we will aggressively protect our employees. Every single job matters. It is a magic trick to build a camera in the US, especially at the highest level. This cannot be done if others are allowed to just take what we have done and use our work as their own.

4. Our customers have invested in our technology. They need to be protected and their investment needs to be protected. We have an obligation to our customers so they will not have their investment diluted by a proliferation of the proprietary technology they invested in.

We don’t mean to be heavy handed. We saw 4K as the future standard in 2005. We have endured comments that “RED was a scam”. “1080P was good enough.” “What does a sunglass guy know about cameras?”… as well as others I would never publish.

Patents are here for a reason. They protect IP. Receiving a patent now means that you have an obligation to protect it… or they have absolutely no value whatsoever.

We are anxious to resolve this and have everyone move along. But in the end… our ideas, employees and customers matter. We will tenaciously protect all of them.

He added more later (I’ve combined the later responses into one, separated by line breaks):

This is a REDCODE RAW issue… one that many have acknowledged for years as a core invention of RED and >incredibly important to what we all are doing.

• @kellar42

Good reason to ban all software and algorithms patents.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, amen, wasn't taking the position, just reporting to the thread as I hadn't seen it yet. Thanks for stripping the relevant information from the link I will remember to do that in the future.

• @kellar42, thanks for copy/paste. JJ has a thick skin to call the heat he's getting a " FLAK ". The common level of hatred towards RED have risen enough for him to come out and make a statement like this. For a guy that usually " brings bazookas to the knife fight " ( see scarlet release party 2011 ) this is quite a subtle song he is singing. For sure those lawyers put a muzzle on him in view of a hard court case ahead. After all he can not sound like his usual drunken cowboy in such an important case and boy, this must be killing the arrogant guy like him.

BTW - not only 1080P was good enough in 2005 but also it will be good enough for years to come. RED's 4k, 5K and 6K maybe a luxury in five movies a year in cinemas but thousands and thousands of other productions are done in 1080P and the story gets delivered just fine and within the budget. So 1080p is good enough. That said if SONY sell the 4K for less than half price of RED many will consider getting SONY's 4K as expected. That will put an end to the bad attitude of this company. ( see RED's original slogan: ...We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude ... )

By conning the fans in 3K/$3K campaign and abandoning them by pulling a $15000, crippled camera out of the hat they just shot themselves in the foot and their condition today is the result of that.

I just can't wait to see RED goes belly up.

• I think you are all a bit hard on Red. I can't comment much on this lawsuit, it looks out of place but I don't have enough knowledge in this subject of patent to be sure. But we can't say Red didnt bring anything good to the game. Yeah I was awfuly disapointed by the 3k for 3k scam and how they ended up staying a brand for the "elite" (with buggy cameras, go figure). Still, the cameras have potential and maybe had the influence on other manufacturers to bring it up. I am also annoyed by the arogance of JJ but I give him some respect for what he did. Let's not just throw to many stones at him...

• I think you are all a bit hard on Red.

If you ask me, people are not hard enough here.
    As all software and algorithms patents are total bullshit. All the concept of the patents is ill.

• If American lawyers would have the saying, they would patent breathing or drinking water. They already patented life (DNA). How sick is that?

• Yeah I know that this patent is bull, but it's a different story to shit on the whole concept of Red. Also keep in mind that Red cameras are not only JJ...

Uh, I can't believe im playing the devils' advocate as I was really disapointed by what Red had to offer to people other than hollywood 3d addicts... But if you ask me, all those companies are not putting products on the market to make us happy. We know it's all about profit and Red is sadly no exception.

• @tenjin I'm with you on that. You may not like the personalities inhabiting the place, but small innovative companies like Red and Blackmagic push the big corporate Japanese companies in directions they wouldn't go without that push. I never considered owning a Red, they were just too cost prohibitive, and to be honest I hated the club-like attitude like everybody else. The only way to afford one was to go out and get pro. gigs to pay off the rig, and that's not a direction some filmmakers want to go. But to the displeasure of some of their clients, they gave indies an in to Red imaging with the R1BT at a price that was just too good. So now, I split my time between PV and reduser. Both have diehard loyalists, with good reason. Each can have disdain for the other, but in the end everyone benefits from their existence.

You can hit the Scarlet angle again and again, but if you step over to a little place called "Blackmagic Hell", you'll see that there is a price to be paid for going with new innovative and cheaper options, there's growing pains. I think Red is responsible for a lot of retooling of technology and changing price points from the bigs, and I would not want to see a world without Red or Blackmagic. And at least Jannard is there and you can get a conversation going, unlike at Blackmagic where all you get are a few vague comments dressed as updates for over six months. Speak up about it and you get shouted down by the BM fanboys over there...seems to be a pattern here.

Just my two cents.

• History repeats itself…

• @Lincoln11

"You can hit the Scarlet angle again and again, but if you step over to a little place called "Blackmagic Hell", you'll see that there is a price to be paid for going with new innovative and cheaper options, there's growing pains."

Yes...but the big difference is that Blackmagic quietly (and actually) released a democratizing camera without years of marketing Balderdash...that never eventuated anyway.

How exactly did the Scarlet fiasco (or even RED One) help "change price points". A fundamental principle of philosophy is that correlation does NOT prove causation. Just because RED was making flatulent marketing promises for years doesn't prove that the "Bigs" got cold feet and started the DSLR revolution. The way technology advances this was going to happen anyway. Ironically, it's now RED that's re-adjusting its prices because of the DSLRs and the "Smalls"...and lashing out at the "Bigs" who want to give customers (even Soccer mums) value-for-money cameras.

The other difference is that BM is quietly fixing the issues...I would rather have a "few vague (relevant) comments" from the CEO than an avalanche of arrogant bullshit...often aimed at specific individuals (a rather pleasant Englishman comes to mind)...and blaming everyone else.

...and then there is the Cult of REDLoser...

• @GH2UW

I don't know if you could consider the Blackmagic camera "released" as of yet. Go talk to the people still waiting. As for quietly fixing the issues, again I suggest you take a trip over to the Blackmagic forum and see if the resellers and waiting customers share your opinion. I ordered one, and didn't interpret the silence as you do.

The BT Red One MX has definitely changed the game for me, allowing me to record in a RAW format that allows me more control over my image, and gives me a tool that I couldn't afford a year ago. Furthermore, it has a proven workflow and support of users from low-end to studio. If that's a fart to you, hey. Red's boasting did not effect the Bigs. Prometheus, The Social Network, Book of Eli and many other films choosing Red cameras did, and still does.

I don't think that Red had anything to do with DSLR's but they have a great deal to do with cameras like the BMCC and the new cameras from Sony at 4K. You can say this would have happened eventually, but again DSLR, Red, BMCC, Kineraw, Digital Bolex, whatever is next, they all make the game a lot better for us. But as we see with BMCC and Digital Bolex, Red does not have a patent on "fiascos"

• How much was a Sony F35 before RED came along? Quarter million bucks or so? Now there are F3, F5 and F55.

RED has kicked some as…s and now they get theirs kicked from below. But wait: There is moiré, rolling shutter and the limitation to 30 fps. Colors are very nice though. And then the price!

• @Lincoln11

"I don't know if you could consider the Blackmagic camera "released" as of yet."

Of course the BMCC is released. The production issues (sensor and infinity focus) are unfortunate (even RED had production issues with FoxxCom and ongoing reliability problems) but this is not the same as Promises, Promises and marketing bluster followed by non-delivery. I am waiting for my BMCC as patiently as everyone else...but I'm never an "early adopter"/Beta tester by choice anyway since most major releases for any high-tech gear/software is buggy in the first production run. Fact of modern life.

RED products aren't suitable for the work I do (expeditionary underwater documentary) but I admire the technology. That is not the point. What I am questioning is the mantra that RED somehow was responsible for "democratizing" cinematography hardware for the consumer/prosumer market. Jannard's clever marketing promises regarding Scarlet got us salivating...but it was up to other companies to actually deliver viable alternatives (albeit RAW has been very slow to arrive in an affordable package). Now RED is trying to deny us that very affordability with flatulent lawsuits. If they take this approach I'm sure the Big players will find some patent infringements of their own.

Jannard has a history of unleashing his lawyers...apparently he even sued Andrew Reid, a mere Blogger!

I wouldn't lump RED, BMCC and Digital Bolex in the same category. RED is now doing business in the higher end of the market; BMCC, despite production problems, is a real product aimed at the masses; and Digital Bolex...well, that hasn't arrived from La La Land yet.

• @GH2UW - This I agree with!!

<Now RED is trying to deny us that very affordability with flatulent lawsuits. If they take this approach I'm sure the Big players will find some patent infringements of their own.>

• On February 12, 2013, Red Digital Cinema ("Red") sued Sony Corporation of America and Sony Electronics Inc. and alleged that the Sony PMW-F5, PMW-F55, and F65 digital cinema cameras infringe two Red patents. The F65 has been commercially available for over a year and the F5 and F55 were announced in October, 2012.

Sony has now had an opportunity to study Red's complaint and the asserted patents, and categorically denies Red's allegations. Sony intends to defend itself vigorously in the Red lawsuit. Sony looks forward to prevailing in court, thus vindicating the Sony engineers who developed Sony's quality digital cinema cameras.

• look at all the RED haters :)

• Red invented the Technology.

The Sony F5 is not a competitor with the EPIC, nor is it a competitor with the Scarlet.

Red and Arri are the only Cinema cameras that count at this point. Why does Sony Release a new Camera ever year or so? F65 was supposed to kill the Epic, didn't happen, now they have the F5 & F55... Red still has the Epic, Arri still has the Alexa.

Black Magic camera is a joke. You'll get less rolling shutter and moire with the GH2

• @re9d

LOL. Quite strong and flawed opinion.

Just for your reference, Red patent is about raw data compression for video. Similar compression is used for photo raw, but they patented using it for anything 24fps or higher. Usage patent, that make it very questionable :-)

• Trolls be trolling. C'mon re9d at least be more creative with the name.