Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @dubu49 thank for comment. I agree with you, tests with trees and rivers, there are fed up. Make creative guys.

• @IEBA1

You've been fooled. There is no real 2K video acquisition on GH2 (using spherical lenses). Camera resolves just about 800 vertical lines in to file with 2K resolution. You get better results using AVCHD 1080p. Only good reason to use 2K modified MJPEG codec is to use anamorphic lenses or adapters.

• "So much more interesting than watching people filming trees with their test footage."

@dubu49 @orgie18 From chapter 13, verse 4 of the Lumix Decalogue "...and behold those who do not heed the encoded wisdom of the Bush of Death, may they feel the wrath of write failures and macroblocking mud" ;-)

I haven't noticed any Cluster v8 tests, anyone? Really curious to see how the new 'cinema smooth matrix' compares. ( It's -20c and rarely some sunlight where I am so I haven't been able to run out and film anything worthwhile)

• @blackspot

Shhhh, don't tell him that lol

If it was TRUE 2k people would be making a WAYYYYY bigger deal about it. It's a nice concept and all. I really would like to see his crop zoom stabilize theory. And if your footage looks that bad, that you rely on post stabilizing, it might be time to invest in a tripod or stabilizer instead of trying to manipulate the footage in post. All his methods seem to sacrifice quality to create a false illusion. If the gh2 could produce true 2k with it's High big detail, I would consider canceling my BMCC preorder....not really lol

• "If the gh2 could produce true 2k with it's High big detail" There really is not. It's just resize :)

• @damienmoreau Nice film. Liked how you used music. All very cool.

• Hi, Just to understant something, what does the gh3onagh2 hack does? does it improve the DR to gh3 level? what are the advantages of this specific hack?

thanks emy

• @emynach It offers the same GH3 chroma/luma low pass filter matrix - that's all. However, the GH3 uses 8x8 transform as well as 4x4 therefore there are still major quantisation differences - this is because of the two extra 8x8 matrices employed by 8x8 transform in the GH3 encoder which is not found in the GH2's encoder.

In summary though, its a very good matrix and works rather well as a decent overall setting in the GH2.

• @shon

it was a typo, should have been "high bit detail" and I fully understand, that it's called 2k because of the size. I'm sure if I wanted to, I could probably take footage from my FF 6d and pull off 2k a bit better than a gh2. ; )

• So 2K is not 2K. Hmmm. Is it upscaled 1080p30? What is the source for the larger than FullHD files?

• @driftwood I was testing Cluster 6 DREWnet and the footage fell apart whilst capturing a few trees see vedio below:

• @vpetero See my reply in Cluster X thread! What sd card did you use? Was it formatted first before using, etc... what settings did u use... etc.. Be more specific - thanks

• @damienmoreau, 'Begin Your Journey', great, and I like seeing footage shot at night. Any post stabilisation to the footage, such as at 4:10?

• @driftwood, The card was is "Sandisk 64GB Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 Card -95mbs" it was formatted.
    I was filming 1080p,24 Lens - Nikkor,24mm, 2.8

Actually I just checked original footage and these issues are minimal, it is only amplified ounce I apply any color correction in FCX.

Thank you.

• "Actually I just checked original footage and these issues are minimal, it is only amplified ounce I apply any color correction in FCX." Disregard this statement its there from the capture, I just didnt pay attention.

• reshoot the scene @vpetero and try and reproduce problem. My guess is a fragged card.

• @driftwood Will try that tomorrow. thank you

• I'm a newbee... my apologies. Can I use any of the "Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom" on a Panasonic GF5? I would like to experiment with that and I know the GF5 has limitations. I'm only interested in maximizing the quality of movie in that camera.

Many thanks. PM

• @driftwood, I reformatted the SD Card Reset the camera

Shot 24P everything manual with Nikkor,24mm, 2.8

• @driftwood I performed the same test again with same settings as above:

• @WhiteRabbit Yes at that spot and in the bathroom at 1:37 were post stabilized. I don't think any others were off the top. Maybe 3:32 was too. But that's it

• @driftwood Actually I think the problem is with Final Cut X, because I tried a piece of footage in both FCX and Premier and it exhibits those issues in FCX but none what so ever in Premier.

Thank you

• @vpetero I had a simular experienced fixed by using 5DtoRGB and or clipwrap then brought into FCPX

• @Chippy I tried clipwrap, but had the same issues.

• @vpetero +1 point for Premier :P