Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • I'm an avid fan of Mr.Kwon, a well known photographer in South Korea. Here's his LX7 setting for photographers.

http://tinyurl.com/c2wjlqd Crisp mode = Vivid mode.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=panasonic_forum&page=1&divpage=23&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=124404

• LX7 picture would match with GH2 as B cam? If yes then which setting is? Waiting for mine arrive and just wonder .

• @tinbeo

I will do a comparison video for the video from the LX7, GH2, and GH3 if my GH3 gets here tomorrow.

• Hi to all, sorry but i am not very expert with video. I have a Panasonic Lx7 and i noticed that iMovie is not able to import the video made in AVCHD (.mts) 1920*1080 at 60P, but only at 60i or in .MP4 . Do you know any method to import directly in Imovie the video made in avchd at 60P ? I have tried to convert the .mts video in .mov and then to import them in iMovie, but the quality in horrible. Do you have any suggestion ? Thank you. Scipio

• Interesting calculation (from Panasonic presentation)

• Very interesting presentation/comparison ! Thanks !

• @VK Allowing faster shutterspeeds for achieving exposure, right. But how about dynamic range?

• LX7 has shallower DOF than RX100 toward tele end.

• I got the LX7 now using amazon's 10% off on their WHD. Looking forward for Vitaly's hack this neat little cam.

Cheers Jens

• http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/102534#Comment_102534

"Interesting calculation (from Panasonic presentation)"

But it's a terribly wrong calculation ... where every "error" gives advantage to LX-7 ... ARE THEY LIERS ???.

• The area ratio at the displayed comparison (LX-7 at 4/3 RX-100 at 3/2) is 116.16/36.09=3.22 . Their 1.68 result is 1.68 stops (or else 1 2/3 in photographic terms).

• 2.696x is 1.43 stops, not "about 1.6" as displayed ...

more than this ..

• At (LX-7 longest) 90mm RX-100's lens is f/4.5 not f/4.9 ...
    • At (RX-100's widest) 28mm LX-7's lens is f/1.6 not f/1.4 ...

To make fair comparisons one should compare at the same FOV and the same frames.

So for the common range of FOVs LX-7's aperture advantage (rounded to one decimal) is more like :

28mm 1.3x (0.4 stops)

90mm 3.8x (1.9 stops)

The sensor area ratios (after full height 4/3 crop and full width 16/9 crop from RX-100's 3/2 frame) are ...

Both at 4/3 = (11.738.80)/(6.905.23) = 2.86 (1.52 stops RX-100 advantage)

Both at 3/2 = (13.208.80)/(7.144.82) = 3.38 (1.76 stops RX-100 advantage)

Both at 16/9 = (13.207.43)/(7.514.27) = 3.06 (1.61 stops RX-100 advantage)

The above combined give ..

• more than 1 stop advantage for RX-100 at it's wide end (28mm)

• about 1/3 stop advantage for LX-7 at it's long end (90mm)

Look at this Graph from Dpreview.. http://4.static.img-dpreview.com/files/articles/2367736880/Graph.jpg?v=1881

Graph[1].jpg
    1280 x 983 - 128K
  • Hi VK, I would like this camera very very much and all his features are perfect for me but one of this is very poor but very important I think.(and almost unique) The timelapse function is limited at only 60 shoot or 1 minute, this is crazy. Do you think that in your hack it's possible to remove this stupid limit?? Thanks very much.

F

• My DIY timelapse gear.

LX7.jpg
    500 x 535 - 120K
  • "Vitaliy_Kiselev November 25

Btw, we today purchased LX7 for hack."

Did you start yet or wait till next year :-) ?

Btw Happy New Year to all , looking to a new life for lx7. I really love 120 fps shooting of this camera.

• Just ordered the LX7 :-)

• @drifwood . Just ordered the LX7 :-) Great news!!! I´ve already started dreamin...

• @driftwood Can't really use my LX7 -- as much as I would like -- with the 30 mins 1080p recording limitation. Am using my GoPro Black (with external power supply) for B-roll at the moment... But I think you will enjoy the convenience of the LX7, and even the FZ200 (which has no 30min limitation). Let us know what you think of the bokeh, it looks good to my unskilled eyes :)

• The LX7 is one of my favorite cameras of all time. Here is a video that explains how I setup the LX7 I gave to my brother for Christmas. The auto closing and opening lens cap is absolutely essential.

• Here is a full-blown video of a museum taken with the LX7, taking advantage of its low-light abilities:

I was impressed with the color. Most everything shot at widest aperture (depending on zoom), 1/60th shutter, sometimes using 'natural' color mode when the contrast was very high. Most using 'standard'. NR -2.

The original is downloadable. No post-processing.

• My first test shots with this camera, very impressed with it, like the manual f-stop ring, still trying to work out if the 'izoom' is lossless like the GH2s sensor zoom function? Would be great if the 120/100 fps 720 mode had manual control and avchd encoding instead of mp4. For this price I am really pleased.

• Anyone tried using the LX7 3D image capability? It seems to work pretty well, except that my Sharp 3D TV will not read the MPO files (3D) produced by the LX7. The Sharp 3D TV will read the MPO files produced by another camera (Fuji), just fine. And the Sharp 3D TV will only display 3D images from the LX7 using the HDMI connection from the LX7.

I'm curious if the LX7 MPO images might be directly viewable on another brand/model of 3D HDTV?

• I suggest you to check various MPO editing software, sometimes it is enough to load image and resave it.

• Yes, that worked. Downloaded freeware and simply opened/saved a test MPO file from the LX7 and it now loads fine on the Sharp 3D TV. PITA, but at least it works.

FWIW - to my unpracticed eye, the 3D image quality from the LX7 compares very favorably with the quality of the 3D images produced by the dedicated 3D Fuji camera. The Fuji camera is easier to use, but the LX7 can do a better job with static subject.

• 3D image quality from the LX7 compares very favorably with the quality of the 3D images produced by the dedicated 3D Fuji camera

By idea it must be so, as it has much better lens and sensor. Fuji 3D camera must have been long ago updated to modern specification with adjustable interaxial distance. But managers have huge trouble with 3D, for them it is much harder than megapixel count, or features list length.

• I got LX7 for my bro. Then another one for father-in-law. Then he likes Fuji X10 more. So we are going to swap. Yeah LX7 for me!!! Woohoo~!

1080p60 56Mbps (hacked) would be great.