Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How many axis for stabilizer?
  • Hi, since the E-M10 has 3 axis only, but otherwise looks ok, I wonder if 5-axis is needed or 3-axis is sufficient for video.

I never used one of these electronic gyroscopes that stabilize video cameras, as they are too expensive, but is it so that they often feature 3-axis stabilization?

I watched IMPRESSIVE footage from the E-M1 regarding stabilization, but it is too expensive when considering landscape dynamic range and ISO performance. So hence the question: what to expect regarding stabilization for video use in the E-M10?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • E-M1 is fine for still, its not like we are doing photo as living, hell even I just use mobile phone for snaps most of the time.

I read from imaging-resource that3 Axis still work on video since the sensor is still "floating" like 5 Axis IS.

"For video recording, Olympus has also included a hybrid IS system utilizing both sensor-shift and digital image stabilization "

• What site is this Voldemort? There are some examples on Vimeo by this fellow: https://vimeo.com/user4391835

Fantastic. But E-M1 really s***s at still photo (noise like hell and low dynamic range) so I find it overpriced.

• OMD-M1 has IBIS during video and it's wonderful. Check proper camera thread and eventually Voldemort site.

Bye

• But in the Olympus Asia site says nothing for video stabilization...

http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/em10/spec/

Olympus USA, no mention. It is somewhat confusing at this point.

• Actually, just checked on the Norwegian Olympus site and the specs there say 3-axis IBIS during video.

So the question seems relevant.

• I am not talking about 9 axis really, nor tele ;) Just 3 versus 5. Any practical experience?

In the OMD-series, stabilization tends to be enabled during video AFAIK, but no word so far about the new model.

• No words about stabilization in video in the E-M10, but my guess is that will not work for recording video. The older Olympus cameras never enabled it for vídeo (used a crappy electronic stabilization), same with the Lumix GX7. Maybe something with this 3-axis stabilizators tech cause issues with video.

• Of course more axes are better! Just how much are you going to jump around? Can you walk smoothly? are you use wide or telephoto lenses. 9 axes should do it.