Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Travel tripod/monopod with Fluid Head
  • I'm looking to use a Manfrotto 502HD head or something similar on a mefoto travel tripod (benro). I want it to be lightweight for traveling but sturdy enough to use a BMPCC or a GH3 on it and still get smooth tilts and pans for narrative and documentary filmmaking. Will this combination work and/or does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks

Mefoto/Benro: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926473-REG/benro_a2350q2k_2_series_travel_tripod_kit.html

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • The 502 is pretty big, I wouldn't consider it for a strictly-travel setup. I think the 701 is more travel-sized and is more than enough for a m4/3 body.

As for those legs, they look the same or similar to a MeFoto/Benro set I looked at in a local camera store. I was disappointed in how flexy they were, but they did fold up really small.

• Get Manfrotto 701 HDV and 190xpro legs to match.

• For such low weight scenarios I like the Manfrotto 128RC head. It´s lightweight, compact and smooth to operate (using it since years). (And I am recommending it, altough I am not THAT of a Manfrotto fan ^^.) But only usable very good in the max. 1->2kg range. Optimum is around 1kg.

As legs I would choose a Benro A3580T or A4580T "classic" tripod. (They are folding down very well, are quite stable and you can "lock" the 128RC on them). Btw.: I am using actually the 128RC with an A2570T tripod as a lightweigt 2nd tripod system. It´s nearly a little bit too lightweight but stable enough with a (not too heavy) bag on it´s hook ^^. But if you can invest a few bucks more, get the A3580T or even better the A4580T. (Or if you really want something "rock stable", check out the Sirui M3004X.)

Btw.: The Benro tripods are also available as "clip lock" editions. (For example: A3580T = screw locks & A3580F = clip locks.)

• @MaulKentor

Just check other topics in http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/tripods-fluid-heads

Main principle is to get legs with high diameter carbon tubes. And with reasonable price. This makes Manfrotto not an option.

• Primer of sturdy and light system (new series of NEST tripods and their small new fluid head):

nest.jpg
    800 x 507 - 84K
    nest2.jpg
    545 x 365 - 26K
  • Need a good bang for your buck video tripod. Benro Aero s4"? I'm shooting with Samsung nx500 with the pro lens 16-50mm f2-2.8. Lens weighs 1.38 pounds. Zomei? Aluminum is okay. Require video head. Leaning toward Benro Aero4