Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • @Flaaandeeers @matthere

Even though matthere was the shooter, what do you think about this option? It's a lot cheaper than Slr magic 12mm t1.6. You lose sharpness, and the corner are very soft, but distortion? How does it seem for you? Quite acceptable? Thanks

• @Flaaandeeers those tests were not by me, just posted them as they looked interesting :) still awaiting the bmpc I ordered on the 8th April here..!

• Lumix 7-14mm Lumix 12-35mm Canon FD 35-70mm Canon FD 135mm

• The Canon 17 - 102, named V6x17 8 (i.e. made for one inch sensors) doesn't vignette and is parfocal when shimmed correctly, just like the Fujinon 18-108(C6x18).

They are not very far apart, the Fuji is a tad better at wide angles, the Canon at longer ones. Both show some barrel distortion wide and massive pincushion at tele. The Fuji has a bit more CA and the Canon has softer corners WO. It's also a bit yellowish (could be my sample only) . They can be found cheap and have decent mechanics, but optically and mechanically don't come close to the Schneider Varigon 18-90 (if you can find one).

• I've found this short film that was shot for a 48hs film competition, with BMPCC and a Canon TV Zoom.

• @Renovatio
    It was tested by @matthere sometime ago:

• Anyone who tests slr magic 11mm 1.4? What about it?

Thanks

• @oedipax I didn't know about this bug either. Thanks for sharing.

• @redcomet

Does the Canon 17-102 focus to infinity and is it parfocal?

• @grierdill

Thanks

@Oedipax

I did not know this bug, hope they fix soon.

• @Renovatio the distortion on the 12mm is negligible. I've never once noticed it even on interiors with lots of straight lines. The only thing I don't like about it is how small the focus ring is and the large amount of resistance it has. I think their new cine housing coming out soon will fix that though.

• @kingmixer, there's a bug in the firmware that makes motion blur at 180 look more like 360. The workaround for right now is to shoot 172.8 instead.

• thanks, I'll try playing with shutter speed and see if i figure it out. i think it was set to 180deg. Are you talking about needing to compensate for 60hz lighting?

• @kingmixer

I love the skintones coming out of the camera. Gorgeous lenses. (shutter speed still looks 'off' though)

• Playing around with my Black Magic Pocket Cam for the first time – thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and made it a quick audition video for an actress. The first shot is the voigtlander 25mm and the second, closer shot, is the voigtlander 50mm (m-mount with adaptor). Graded quickly in After Effects.

• @grierdill

Thanks. But what about distortion? Just too much or can go without problems? I'm afraid of this cause would be my only "doitall" lens.

thanks.

• I really like the slr magic 12mm in the pocket cam. It's wide enough that I can go hand held without the jitters and is fast enough to get decent shallow DOF when I want. The voigtlander 17.5 is nice too but too long for hand held without stabilization

• Hi guys, i'm thinking to take BMPCC (if it is possible...), and i have with me a CV 17,5mm. The crazy idea (for me) is that 50mm is simply too much (in fact i sold my panaleica 25mm to take the 17,5mm on Gh2 and Em5 system).

So i was thinking to the slr magic 12mm t1.6. Does anyone know if there's too much distortion with it? It would be a perfect 35mm equivalent.

Maybe will sell the Voigtlander for this. I know, it's the perfect lens, but not as wide as i would like to have on the Pocket sensor.

• They come cheap, you should find one around 50,- Euro.

At f22 diffraction would soften it considerably on the small sensor.

• Probably the F22. Not bad for a very diffracted old lens, though.

Still considering getting one m'self to play around with... really wish the Kowa zooms worked, though.

• Footage looks soft, feels very SD rather than HD when compared with images in The One (above)

• Quick test on canon 17-102

• is there a difference between the schneider kreuznach arriflex cine xenon 16mm f2 and the schneider kreuznach xenon 16mm f2 (regarding the usability on the bmpc)? i have seen both lenses with a significant price difference...

• @digger tomorrow i will be in a splendid location to test out some lens! I hope the videos will be ready for sunday. Anyway i have some serious problem with Resolve 10 lite. At the beginning it seemed to work fine but now i have a problem with video hdd, all my clips are blackened and I've tried everything but I could not solve the problem..

• @redcomet Did you get a chance to post some footage with the Canon 17-102? I'd be interested to see how it performs at the wide end of the zoom.