Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lens tests on the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC)
  • 232 Replies sorted by
  • BMPCC with Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2:

Tried out yesterday some of my lenses on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

1) Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 works flawlessly with it.

2) Computar 8.5mm f/1.3 for 2/3" C mount unfortunately vignettes, so unless you're cropping it then it is no good (say reduced down to 720 for instance it would then be fine, although I don't think you'd need to go quite that far).

3) my current favourite lens for my GH1 (which needs a 2x tele-extender on my GH1, or ETC mode with a GH2) is the Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2 C mount lens & in my personal opinion works fine with the BMPCC to my tastes. And would be out of all my lenses the preferred lens for me to use with the BMPCC (unless I was to get a Metabones Speed Booster for my Vivitar 1 Series 28-90mm F2.8-3.5, then just maybe I might prefer that instead). Others on the web have reported this working with S16 in the past too (before the BMPCC existed).

• I hope they can add lens-corrections to the firmware down the road. Since it is only 1080p, I suppose it would be hard to adjust in post without losing resolution. Do you have a Olympus 9-18 to test with? Wondering how bad it is without lens-correction..

• Thanks @nomad. Very informative.

• Nope, sorry.

• Thank you for sharing info, it's appreciated. Would you by any chance happen to have a eng lens you could mount and test, both with and without the x2 engaged?

• And now the famous Lumix pancake 20mm 1.7. Surprisingly, it shows some softness in the corners, minor CA and some barrel distortion. Stopped down to 4.0 it get's really sharp. A Zeiss C/Y 28mm with SpeedBooster, which is very close in viewing angle, is sharp from the start (about 2.0).

Please excuse me if I don't post all my chart shots. They are boring and eat space. If you want a specific one posted or sent, tell me. This is the Zeiss plus SB, which I consider my reference for this test (the different color is mainly due to the sun going down, not only the lens).

Zeiss_CY_28mm_SB_2,8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 253K
  • As we all know, the Lumix 12-35mm might be a very attractive lens for this camera, since it other than the 7-14 it has IS and is one stop faster. The observations are very similar: massive barrel distortion at 12mm, but sharp even wide open and just a hint of CA. Distortion improves quite a bit at 16mm already and is replaced by minimal pincushion distortion at 35mm without visible CA. If you check it on 35mm only at video resolution it is hard to see a difference against a Zeiss C/Y 35mm 2.8. Left at 12mm, right at 16.

Lumix_12-35mm_@12mm_2,8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 260K
    Lumix_12-35_@16_2,8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 251K