Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Best Video Settings
  • 814 Replies sorted by
  • YouTube is useless for this, though.

• @wgtwo yep, you're right

• But did anyone ever come to a conclusion on AVCHD vs MOV for high ISO shooting? AVC certainly looks less noisy, but I'm not sure the lower bitrate is a good tradeoff.

• @maddog15 About changing brand or system, I used in a theater a 5d unhacked, no way, I 1000% prefer gh3, only bmpcc is a reason to change for the DR

• Lets say that storage is not so big problem, but I am sure that avchd has something in color that is a bit better than mov and in combination with the half size of it, it is becoming tempter

• @starios Good question. I use mov on the GH3 because of (1) the higher bit rate (2) easier workflow (3) habit. * 90% of the editing I do at work comes in as ProRes .mov's so that's the habit part. But I love having one single file. Personally I hate using AVCHD for the simple reasons of work flow. Private>AVCHD>packets> stream etc. etc. is a pain in the a** when culling footage, deleting unneeded clips and grabbing one or two clips instead of the entire shoot. As far as the "higher bit rate" is better argument: remember a while back when I shot that wedding and accidentally set the camera to shoot mp4 vs mov? When I look at that footage now I can't emediately tell (visually) what's shot at 28mbs MP4 or 50Mbs MOV! So yeah, why not save the space if the quality is the same? Phycological I guess.

On another note I shot a multi cam interview last week. I'm again so frustrated trying to get the GH3 "pink plastic skin" to match the hacked GH2's footage. This issue alone has become 40% of the work alone...on the entire job. Not happy. >:^(

GH4 going to be a higher, cleaner version of pink plastic? I've invested lots of money and still believe in the m4/3 system. But this weekend is the first time I've begun to intertain the thought of a different brand or system. Sorry to the group for getting off topic.

• I want to ask you, why do we shoot in mov and not in avchd, I mean, I always shoot in mov but I find the color in avchd to have a tiny difference in good direction, it has less noise takes less storage space, it also has the usable amount of detail in shadows. I know it is harder for a pc to edit, any other reason not to use avhcd considering we shoot professionally? I am asking cause I am ready to get divorce with mov

• Great, thanks.

• what can I say, it's a nice instrument lol. As some others agree, iso 320 640 are the "best", ok, do not expect huge differences but there are.

• Yeah, unfortunately not helpful. What can you tell us from looking at the raw footage yourself?

• youtube compression forever!!!

• I was to say that only 1600 is better even from 1250 and 2000, so 320 640 and 1600 for extremes!

• Best ISO is something that has been demonstrated with Canon cameras to be best @ multiples of 160 (http://www.photographybay.com/2011/05/01/proof-that-multiples-of-iso-160-work-best-on-canon-hdslrs/). Probably something similar going on with GH3, depends on what are the true base ISOs and which are electronically adjusted in-cam.

• @yak nop, it can't, it is only about noise, but best iso for DR is a very interesting next test! It sounds reasonable 640 to give the best DR. Another thing a bit off topic, I had to shoot something with a 5d and my gh3, my conclusion, double sensor, double iso! 6400 in 5d is like 1600 in gh3, in noise I mean

• @surfculture @starios

I agree with you @starios that 320&640 are the best... I feel 640 gives the best DR hopefully your test can prove it... the absolute worst iso are 500&1000....

• I am uploading a noise test in some minutes, as I see, EVERY step up in iso brings more noise, the think is in every whole stop, 400 800 1600 I notice big change, so, if I understand correctly the lighter settings with less noise is just before 400 800 1600, for me, best settings are in iso 320 and 640, in iso 200 unfortunately the DR curve changes cutting some highlights

• thanks Yak, anf for iso , 640 or 200 ?

• Huh, can someone confirm this noise thing? I've heard the same about the 5Dmk3; lower noise at 320, 640 and 1250 ISO.

• @royfel If you have filmconvert, I discovered that when set on 5DMKII The preset PD P400 Ptra at 40-50% does exactly what I'm trying to do but failing to achieve.

@surfculture This is the good one

0eb33818a48acf5392b8bf88c4fcf2.zip
  • If I understand you, iso 640 make less noise than iso 200 ??? and Yak, if it's possible for you, you can put your good LUT again, to be sure that we get the good LUT.

• Wow...28 pages of testing and retesting to find..pull it out of the box, turn down NR and shoot. But have to agree having just spent the morning filming me holding a gray card. Notes...you're right, very little noise at 640, I set white balance and exposure to gray card, card showed up on the scope at 60 not 50 so I conclude that my copy is slightly overexposing. Nat 0,-2,0,-5 Pana/45 @3.5/60 diffused daylight. You are right about the red and green. (on scope)The red did not appear much higher but more 'bloomed' not necessarily more luminescent. I think the trick is to pull down the saturation in the red channel and as yak noted 'a dash of green'. I don't have a corrector that can make a LUT that will just desaturate 1 channel (speedgrade..nope), and I'm crashing my Resolve. Thank you everyone especially Yak for all the work on this. Hope this spurs you on to try one more LUT for 000-5 (insert happy face here).

• @royfel Yes, 0,-2,0,-5 (m43 glass) 0,0,0,-5 (Legacy) and the LUT I created if for shooting at -5, the last LUT I posted is garbage it came out very bad, still don't understand why, the other 2 are good.

@royfel & @flablo: Yes natural for high contrat scenes (Natural looks a bit like standard -3,-2 but flatter in the shadows while not touching the lighter mid tones too much) and standard for flatter scenes.

• @yak sorry guess I missed some posts: may you elaborate VERY briefly the use of Standard and Natural depending on lighting ? Thanks!