Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • @Mckinise

60P :)

Try 1/40s shutter with 24P. Dont move camera. Tell people to stay still. Dont shoot moving objects. Dont zoom. Dont sharpen Dont autofocus.

• @McKinise: Watch it on a tv.. Seriously. Watching 24p on a 60-100hz monitor will always stutter.

• @Vesku Man, I may as well be taking photos in that case.

@svart I am asking more if there are certain settings that should be notched downward to improve the fluidity of the footage.

Something like Standard with -5's across the board. I will not be doing much if any panning. I will be using a Dolly to go forward and backward.

• ...omg, seriously? This is what 24p LOOKS LIKE. How many times is the going to be brought up?

• @bwhitz Perhaps, but there are still ways to decrease the amount of stutter. I wish to discuss those methods and their usage on THIS specific camera. Do you have advice?

• @Mckinise, I just gave up on 24p and shoot everything at 60p with 1/60th second shutter. I then comform to 30p and I don't have the problem. They only time is use 24p output is when I am doing a slow motion piece at 40% speed from 60p to 24p :)

Shooting at a lower shutter speed helps a lot. Use 1/40th second as was suggested by Vesku. The idea is to blur the motion part of the image across frames thus smoothing out the stutter your mind picks up on. You lose fine detail to a certain extent, but spatially your mind recreates that detail from the motion that is blurred more. The theory is something to that effect in any case.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer

More tips for 24P if someone have to use it for some reasons. Set shaprness to -5 in camera. So sharpness pumps less when soft movement stops and scene becomes sharp. Even little movements lead sharpness pumping. Use tripod. Use small f number so that backgroung becomes soft. Then you can follow movement without backgroud jitter. Pan very slow, there are some rules (degrees/sec). If handheld use stabilized lenses.

• Thanks @c3hammer and @vesku - I'm going to try that too.

• Thanks @svart too!!

• @McKinise No, none of the settings change the way 24P motion looks. I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying here.. What I am saying is that a LOT of people complain about stuttering on 24P but they are viewing it on a 60hz monitor, but they are being fooled into thinking the stuttering is more than it really is due to how a 60hz monitor displays 24P. You cannot evenly display 24P on a 60hz monitor without there being gaps between frames, doubled frames or having to do a 2:3 pulldown telecine conversion.

Seriously, look up telecine and 2:3 pulldown. That's how broadcast networks make 24p NOT stutter on 60hz televisions.. Newer TVs can do this natively. Monitors don't have such things and will always have issues.

If your monitor can do it, I suggest changing the refresh rate to 72hz(3x24P) and rewatch your 24p files. They'll be a lot smoother.

@manu4vendetta That december day video looks great.

• great deal for UK people

http://www.amazon.co.uk/deals-offers-savings/b/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27?ie=UTF8&node=350613011

G6 with 14-140 £470 (plus £100 panasonic Cashback = £370 in total!!!)

• So I was shooting with the G6 the other day. I was doing the handheld work and the director was watching on his tablet computer. After about 60 seconds, the screen goes black on the camera yet the stream to the tablet stays working. I suppose they don't think that someone might actually want to use both at the same time.

Also, if you have wifi control of the camera and then do something manually on the camera, it takes over and the tablet user loses all control over the camera from that point on and the only way i can figure out to get wifi control again is to reconnect with wifi, which is a 2-5 minute operation. That kinda sucks.

So now my list of must-haves for future firmware is:

1. HDMI live view while recording
    2. Wifi AND lcd viewing(or at least the option to have both)

Otherwise, the camera worked great.

I did find something interesting though. If you are plugged into HDMI and go into the menu, nothing happens. If you are in the menu and go to "custom" and go into a sub-menu, the HDMI starts working and then you can navigate the menu while watching it on HDMI. It looks like they attempted to cripple the HDMI in all modes except for playback, but somehow missed a portion of the menu.

I think it's pretty obvious that HDMI out will work on this thing with some firmware changes.

• @svart Thank you for the clarification. I did understand that part. I was unsure of the effects of adding and lowering the amount of sharpness and contrast as related to the processor. I remember reading something online about the added sharpness stressed the processor causing it to have issues with highly detailed scenes.

For example if I brought up the sharpness and contrast to +5 versus bringing it down to -5.

That is what I was asking about.

• Just received my g6 yesterday. Man is it light ! I have the advanced manual but I can't find how to set manual controls in the creative control picture styles . Is this even possible , or is manual limited to the normal picture styles ?

• I think the paper manual that comes with it is an abridged version of the one available online.

• got both...the advanced isn't very clear

• ok...found 2 reviews that says it's not possible. They've got some interesting filters, and they put my favorite, dynamic b&w there, which is a drag . We need a workaround on this one. Are the reviews right ?

• @Kurth go into the actual menu, into the video mode section and go to "picture mode" from there you can make the adjustments to "std", "vivid", etc. Seems they took away the shortcut to make those changes directly from the buttons.

• So I did a bunch of shot matching last night between the G6 and the GH2. The G6 has a lot more saturated color, even set to lowest compared to the GH2's 0 setting. strange. Anyway, the GH2 files needed to have a little yellow-orange raised in the midtones to match pretty well. Other than that the overall tone, brightness matched pretty well.

I also had to do some masking automation and automate some gain/saturation and the G6 files held up really well. The noise brought up from adding gain was mostly just noise, no blocking as far as I could tell. I have a work meeting with the director tonight to go over some things, so I'll have more to say about what we do, tomorrow.

• @svart

Obviously I see picture mode adjustments. But you can never adjust monochrome to be dynamic b&w. And they've got more some cool filters in creative control mode. Last night I did some video in some of these ...like bleach bypass. I'll do some more testing. You can take video in these modes and it looks like it tries to keep shutter speed at 60 ( at 30P ) but it does ramp up if there's more light . Today I'll put my vnd on and see how it behaves in daylight. I also saw that this is a carryover from the g5. I'll add this to the wishlist for firmware fixes. It was one of the complaints mentioned in reviews. They give us these great picture filters , and then they don't let us control them. Maybe the g7. And , before anyone mentions the argument about doing it in post...stop ! To be able to compose in esp. b&w, if you're certain you're using b&w, is a great advantage, in contrast (no pun intended ) to composing in color and then converting in post. thanx k

• So the director and I sat down and did some cutting and color work on the footage last night. We matched the GH2 to the G6 by lifting the yellows in the midtones a little, as mentioned before. We did some heavy gain up of a couple dark shots and did some masking in a number of shots to get faces lit up a little. We didn't run into any issues with color or noise/blocking other than the regular noise from using 640ISO. the only strange thing was that as we gained up the mask, the faces turned a little more yellow. This could totally be a Vegas thing and not the footage though.

We have an outdoor and night shoot this weekend if the weather permits so we'll see how outdoor color and things mix with the rest of it.