Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Bow controller
  • This is old version prototype

This is new one

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • This is very cool thing. Violin and other bowed instruments' attack and release were impossible task for midi controllers and sound modelers to quite nail, but I believe this is a game changer.

Only thing is that you need skilled violin player trained to play on 2mm optical sensor if you want to record anything. And that is probably a good thing in the long run.

• Only thing is that you need skilled violin player trained to play on 2mm optical sensor if you want to record anything. And that is probably a good thing in the long run

In fact, you can already do same just using touch controller on Novation keyboard. Just requires proper synth and, may be, scripting.

As for sensor, it seems like reversed mouse sensor. He just use low level drivers providing high speed image or something like it.

• using touch controller on Novation keyboard

It think that bow is crucial for violin sound to be convincing.

• @inqb8tr

In reality you don't see any bows and all synth based classic tracks are usually written mostly without using anything but simple midi keyboard and proper scripts and nuances.

• Yes, that is true.

I only think that this sounds better than any conventional midi controller, even though you can make any sound in the nature in digital domain, or even model it by analog synths.

My personal opinion is that bowed instruments have always been a step behind pianos or percussive instruments and horns etc, and that this kind of controller that transfers players bowing technique to some midi parameters is nice thing. If you can theoretically do the same thing with a numpad, that's fine, but this is much much faster, if nothing else.

• There is one product that is quite good for this type of thing. The Haken Continuum

• This is why I love PV. It's not just camera love, but all sorts of great multi media geeky gadgets, with a mixture of snark (Bolex) and politics. Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev !