Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @Nameless is that a lumix 20mm lens used?

• used moon trial 4, stock 14-140 and canon fd 50mm 1.4 mix of ISOs under 800 did not do the editing but I'm pretty sure no grading was done at all

• Will these settings work on a dmc-g3? or only gh2?

• @stylz The 20mm was used for some shots

• This is more a tribute to the endless winter than anything else. Shot with Cluster X Drewnet v8, standard profile 0,0,0,0 and an old Vivitar 200mm zoom. Drewnet is great for the type of work I do, vérité with mostly static camera shots. Thanks as always to Nick Driftwood for your tireless efforts.

• 1 GOP Intra 'moon' trial 5. Leica Summilux 25 mm. Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB. Using clipwrap to fix timecode.

• @maxmizer I wonder how the cam looks like w/LA7200 and panny20mm, could you post a picture and 0.5 close up how effective it is. Good colours could you share the cam settings also? Thanks.

• Just spent the day filming a talking head with 'Moon T3' in an office environment that had two monitors turned off in the background. The gentleman in the video was wearing a dark blue sports jacket. When I got home and reviewed the footage I was really surprised with the amount of noise visible on the jacket and 2 monitors. This was lit with two softboxes (Linco Flora, bulbs CRI>92) at f/2.5 ISO 200 using AWB (since I forgot my gray card) smooth -2-2-2-2. I always use a lightmeter before commiting to a particular exposure.

@driftwood Any idea what may be the cause of this? I know some noise is to be expected but this just seemed excessive. I'd be happy to forward a link with an original MTS if it helps. Any advice to avoid or reduce perceivable noise would be welcome.

Really wasn't expecting this and somewhat disappointed as my wife pointed it out immediately. Never thought I'd encounter so much noise under ISO800 and outside the ISO bug.

• @spacewig I haven't noticed additional noise with Moon T5 as compared to other intra settings. Was there anything unusual about this shoot as compared to your normal ones that could be the differentiating variable?

Btw, you might consider setting the WB in degree Kelvin when you don't have a gray card instead of using AWB. That's my usual fallback and it's possible the noise performance may be different than with AWB (I haven't tried it).

If posting the footage is a hassle, you could just extract PNGs of a frame or two. It does not sound at all related to the setting used but there's probably still something that could be done to help. Unless of course you are talking about the issue of shadow flicker in an underexposed area - not too much that could be done on that one outside of changing lighting or exposure settings.

• Here is a sample of Moon in 720p mode- Before and after grading in Resolve.

And here is the whole video.

• Posting some PNG is not a problem, but I think posting a video won't work since there'll always be a question mark over how much of the visible noise is atributable to compression, streaming, etc.

I don't think it is the setting either. But I don't have enough experience or knowledge to pinpoint the nature or reason for the noise. I don't know if it's the sensor, picture profile, ISO, lighting choice... The dark objects were definitely not underexposed. Perhaps I'll just upload a pic to give a better idea.

• Another moon trial 3

• Here are two frame grabs. Look at the monitor screens and his jacket. When the video is playing the noise becomes much more conspicuous since it's dynamic.

Sample 1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 503K
    Sample 2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 587K
  • @spacewig From the perspective of getting the most out of the GH2 sensor, the area is underexposed. That seems to be the main contributing factor.

I pulled up the histogram and you have a huge amount of the visual information in the lowest quarter of the histogram. My guess is that you were trying to be very conservative about the highlights, is that correct?

I would have increased the exposure or lighting until the highlight on his head was showing the clipping indicator, then backed down third of a stop or two.

Anything in the lowest part of the histogram should not be counted on as a primary part of the composition.

• @bitcrusher I hate to say it but I think your grade make it look more like video. I actually like it better before for some reason. Don't know why.

• @thepalalias

So if I want to have a darker background than the foreground object I have to expect noise? Is there a workaround to this? How about the jacket the subject is wearing? It's in the same light as his head. How do you adequately light a dark object for the GH2? It almost seems as though it's not a lighting issue but a question of light absorption, i.e. dark objects will be covered with noise.

• @spacewig It's not that the GH2 never renders them well, it's that it's unpredictable. I'm in the habit of over-exposing while shooting and then bringing things down in post. The sensor/codec has a much easier time with that than with the reverse.

I'll see if I have any advice more pertinent to your specific situation after I think about it more.

• @bitcrusher i agree with @vicharris , somehow before grading video seems more natural

• @bitcrusher the grading looked great, and if you watch the whole thing it looks verry natural and magic at the same time, i liked the edit alot

• @cjdincer As you see from the video, the space, is about 1 meter, and it was impossible to focus, I took a close-up 72mm cheap and I removed the lenses, this served as thickness and immediately after I put a close up +0.5 72mm . Everything is between 20mm and LA7200, LA7200 not in front, is a test, but it worked. Patch moon trial 5, Cinema -2, -2, -2, -2, desquezze with AE, 2554x1080, save DNxHD 444 10-bit, add titles and transitions with PR, no effect, no color grading or correction.

• I just got back from vacation and wanted to share a clip I took. This is unedited, no CC/Grading. I used Cluster X: Slipstream #3 (1080p24). Sorry it isn't in focus for a lot of the time... I was shooting through glass. It's really quite amazing to watch.

Pancake 20mm Panasonic lens

• @maxmiser thanks man very informative for me. I just need something wide enough and still hold the rectilinear shape. moon T 5 rocks for now. I am on T3 again just checking what is the beauty of T3 I could not figured it out yet but still keeping it. moon is amazing in all cases gives really good results. time to donate folks maybe there is more of it coming. only @driftwood knows. :)))

• guys, from your experience, what patch provides most stable HBR operation, because i want those 30pFullHD in good quality, somehow 24fps seems a bit low when there a objects very close to camera........i see few patches have HBR around 50-100Mbps, and that is good to me, but 24H goes above 100Mbps and i would like to have 24H as well below 90Mbps in same patch, atm i use Drewnet Trial8 which give around 30-40Mbps

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters