Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @powderbanks and @tinyrobot FYI: I did acouple of 45 minute continuos recording test with Moon T5. It spanned just fine on the 95Mb/s card. Playback in camera didn't work but all files transferred to my computer and looked fantastic. That said, In camera playback seems to work fine for me with numerous 1 to 5 minute takes using Moon T5.

• The only card I use with Moon T5 is the 64MB 95Mb/s Extreme Pro card.

• Hello.

Here is my latest work with moon 5. I believe is really the best patch for post. Thank you very much @driftwood. Your patch is making me earn hard work money, but at all i deliver i think the best overall image in my country from the DSLR market share. And thanks a lot to the community for making this journey of constant knowledge, with topics in which i find myself surrounded by good people. Thanks to @vitaliy_kiselev for not hating me that much and having a lot of calm mood with me. I respect you men, really.

• Ciao Belli, it's my latest test with ClusteX Drewnet Trial 8, shoot with a class 4 sd card.

• A recording I shot recently using Moon Trial 5. This is straight out of the cam. Any suggestions on vimeo compression for these videos? I'm just doing h264 with bit rate set at 12 mbps at maximum bit rate...the orignal file looks a lot better than this but maybe that's all you get with Vimeo compression..

password is hulksmash

• @ RyanPW Unfortunately you're at the mercy of Vimeo's (and YouTube's) compression standards regardless of how great you footage looks before upload. It's my understanding that 10 even 12Mb/s may be overkill for uploading vids online. Check out this link from the DREWnetwork. Drew did a quick tutorial in Premiere Pro on the subject of export settings...

Hope this helps

• @maddog15 "It's my understanding that 10 even 12Mb/s may be overkill for uploading vids online." Since youtube and vimeo recompress you footage (which can not be avoided anymore) it makes sense to deliver best possible quality. I usually upload 50-80 Mbit H.264 for best possible quality.

• What? You use 50-80 Mb/s but 10-12 Mb/s is overkill. I don't get it.

• @tinyrobot and @Meierhans Yeah I was a bit baffled too... check out the vid link I posted below by DREWnet. Via his advise it seems that Youtube will give higher quality compared to Vimeo. (Vimeo limited to around 6Mb/s I think he said) I too still upload vids that are anywhere from 40 to 80Mb/s regardless. Still learning, but I figure the better the master quality the better the online compression will turn out. Perhaps that's just a phycological thing.

• @maddog @tinyrobot If I find time in a couple days, I'll try uploading the same video file in various formats to Vimeo and enable download of the originals.

• How about you guys read the guidlines vimeo and youtube have on their sites for best possible outcome :)

• The point is the recompression. If you deliver a already heavily compressed file all the compression artefacts will be interpreted as details, leaving less bandwidth for the real details. Ergo: Worse quality. For the same reason you should use lossless codecs for intermediate renders.

• Yep, one recommendation is set data rate to 20,000 Kbps. I saw a demonstration where someone said anything above that and he couldn't tell the difference after it gets destroyed by Vimeo.

• Damnit, off topic again!!!!!

• @endotoxic Lorena Pestana very nice!

• Youtube higher quality than VIMEO? That's a laugh.

The compression guides for both are either horribly outdated, incomplete or utterly fail to address achieving the best quality seen on their respective sites for lowest-common-denominator solutions.

• @driftwood if there is a Moon Trial 6 or Moon final release. a suggestion from my own experience with Moon t3, 4, 5. All moon series patches falls below 100mbit if we take a empty shot a wall or a uniform non object as subject. the lowest is 80mbps or around 80 - 90. the most detailed shots doesn't exceeds 135mbps peaking is around 120-135 Mbps. so if there is a moon final version please take my suggestion on bitrate to be a little higher. Continues recording is not necessary for feature film makers it can be even limited to 3-4 min set for safe recording like canis night. can it be taken a little above from 120 - 160 Mbps in peak??

• @driftwood hey i'm new to this topic and tried the moon trial v5. my clipping white areas are flashing black even my detect is off. What am i doing wrong? Would appreciate a reply. Thank you very much. kind regards

• @ Maya FYI: My Moon T5 footage peaks right at 156Mb/s.

• sry my fault... rec highlight was still "on"...

• @maddog15 Just curious, what were you shooting to get it to peak at 156? I've never come close and mine dips to high 50's sometimes. Think I average 80-90. I've shot everything imaginable.

• @vicharris i am wondering the same what did @maddog15 captured?? its not at all possible i feel maximum 135mbit or less. for me the lowest is 80mbit the highest is 135mbit. it wont even exceed 140mbit in full detailed shots. i dont know how sure he is?. Intravenus II does better bitrate than moon series. i had most shots above 125mbit in intravenus II.

• Hey guys, I've been using my SanDisk 32gb 45mb/s card successfully with Moon T5.

So far, I have had relatively little failure, spanning, or other issues. The occasional stopped recording, but nothing drastic.

Is this normal? Am I kidding myself? Have I not put the camera through intense-enough shooting conditions? Everyone seems to swear by the 64gb 95mb/s card, but it seems like the 32gb 45mb/s does an admirable job.

What are your thoughts?

• I've been using older Sandisk 30mb with M5 without any problems whatsoever, so you're not alone :)

• @miked I mentioned on the last page that I also use the 45MB/s Sandisk cards (I have the 64GB versus your 32GB) without issue; aside from a couple times stopping during high detail 720p/60fps footage, it's been perfect. I'd like the 95MB/s cards for 'future proofing' and for the extra bit of insurance of not losing out on a shot; but I haven't reached the point that I absolutely need it.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters