Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Windmotion - upsampling to 4:4:4
  • 263 Replies sorted by
  • @rean Thanks I got it!!! =)

• @Misfire I have sent you a license info now. Sorry for the processing delay.

• @rean I bought pro yesterday but never received my license info :(

• Windmotion 1.0.0 is there.

• @tonalt

Update. 4K example is updated, so this issue is fixed. Also I added less grain noise.

• Before/After screenshot: https://googledrive.com/host/0B37lRAHALMnURzJzc19iUWhpUnM/4k-ba.png

Something strange with her hair at top left. Like it clipped to pure white for highlights.

• @ahbleza try this way (open source tools): http://dcinemaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0 I have not tested it. It is just a googling result.

Use Windmotion export to H.264 10 bit (4:4:4 if need) and then ffmpeg and other steps, as described. FFmpeg understands H.264 color matrix flags correctly, as I tested.

• @rean So if you wanted to build a tool chain that would export to DCP, which tool would you use AFTER Windmotion?

• @ahbleza no, image export is not supported.

• Can Windmotion easily prepare TIFFs with right colour space and bit depth for DCP packaging?

• @SuperSet clip settings are independent. But you can make one clip optimization, then you can copy these settings to other project avsi files using text selection and Copy&Paste. You can also create your own preset file for your camera or film environment by edit or copy the file "3. Edit\Avsi.bat".

I personally copy partial settings from file to file, if required, using clipboard, and have own scripts.

The processing is batch-optimized. All video files processed file by file. It requires a long time. So you can create a first optimization with a short cut, then process huge list of project files in a batch mode. This trick will keep your time.

• Oh yeah, big difference. Thanks for putting that up! I haven't read all the latest documentation but is this something that can be done in Bulk or is each clip different?

• The footage is from Panasonic GH3 (courtesy of Superset Media Group) Processing: high-detail sharp and a film grain applied.

Ripples and grain, as you see in the picture is the result of applying a film grain noise emulation filter. It masks H.264 non-random noise artifacts after a subpixel sharp.

• any idea on pricing?

From $0 to $275.

Thanks @humpman for the GF1 (hacked) footage 720p MOV MJPEG 120 mbps.

It is a resize example from 720p to 1080p with Pro edition sharp filters. Source image is pre-resized for 1080 for comparison. Denoise and dehalo filters and red and blue channel saturation are also used.

It is not very best resolution upsample example, because unfortunately the source video is blurry without subpixel details (probably GF1 lens is not so good for this fantastic hack bit rate). So I used existing 1-2 pixel sharp only. Subpixel sharp is useless here - I had only random dirty pixels.

• I'm very impressed with your nex7 footage sample. it would be really nice to see some type of chart where the effects on detail are more obvious. Awaiting the final version. any idea on pricing?

• Here is the latest beta version. The next release will be the final release. I have successfully created a big 7-hour Full HD project with this version. The main documentation is also almost ready.

Version 0.9.0.Beta2, 2013-09-04

Audio processing disabled by default.
    16:9 2K support 2048x1152.
    Film grain filters are moved to different functions.
    Film grain 16-bit export support.
    Increased default crf for 720p film (Pro).
    Script "Edit\Edit All Before After" without a histogram added.
    Bugfix: Incorrect parameters of MakeFilm scripts fixed, setlocal added (Pro).
    Bugfix: Private scripts removed from installer (Pro).
    Bugfix: Incorrect mp4 mixing for Film (Pro).
    x264 updated to the latest version (Komisar build is used).
    TODO: Documentation in progress.

• The Nex shots look very good.

• i was eating peanut butter and honey !!! now i see this. Thanks @rean ,you make my day. Finally clear instructions. And thw video and image is awesom the before an after!! thanks!!

• I have started to publish the user manual. Currently available two articles. They cover most of questions about program usage steps.

• @rean, the Nex footage looks really good. Evident even with low quality youtube clip. How are you coming along with optimization for GH3 (based on sample-clips I sent)? When that is ready, I'll be buying the "Personal Edition" for sure! :)

• @zcream, probably later. I was busy working on the new Windmotion web site. Now I am ready to make a documentation and examples.

New Windmotion example (before/after):

It is a very noised Sony NEX-7 ISO 3200 footage. And a Windmotion Pro result.

A bigger screenshot, ProRes 4:2:2 10 bit file, before/after video, MTS source and other info is here.

A youtube low quality preview:

• @rean Could you post a small 1-2 second h.264 4:4:4 4K upscaled sample file ? I want to try run it via CF - convert to CF RAW and see if the FCP workflow actually works.

• OK. i did some research. CF allows conversion to 4:4:4 CF RAW. If it read 4:4:4 h.264, its all good. This can be used full raster even in FCP7. And this allows for color grading using First Light.

• @zcream I understand your request.

Probably in the future, but now I have no possibility to develop a special code for your codecs export. Windmotion supports only codecs from ffmpeg using conversion from a H.264 temporary file. (Why this strange way? I have removed DirectShow export possibility while development, because I found unknown bugs in third-party components. For this reason, two months ago, I decided to close the project. Also ffmpeg has no possibility to choose color matrix directly, so we have color shift in HD videos (known bt.709/bt.601 issue). But I found a conversion from H.264 file works fine, so I use this strange solution.)

Prores 4444 is not yet included in ffmpeg. I know this codec is included in ffmbc, but probably it is not supported for 10-bit conversion from H.264, so I do not support it. Also I found ffmbc is 3 times slow, without any superiority over ffmpeg.

Windmotion final release will support the same codec set as supported currently in beta. This includes: ProRes 4:2:2 10bit, DNxHD 1080p 4:2:2 10bit, H.264 lossless (all modes), Ut codec (all modes but RGB mode has color shift for HD source because a bug in ffmpeg), MJPEG 4:2:2, v210 4:2:2 10 bit.

I myself do not like the way the export is made currently. Currently this is a set of tricks to get accurate color over open source tools those developed by programmers not artists. But this is the best solution available today for me, which works fast and without errors. Perhaps in the future, I'll do something like ffmpeg, but for Windmotion especially, but not now.

• @rean With the paid version, CF allows for a 4:4:4 export. Prores allows for 4:4:4 anyway. These 2 codecs cover pretty much most of the commercial editing range. If you include the Avid DnxHD, that would be close to a 100% coverage. I would be happy to pay more and be able to get 10-bit 4:4:4 export with Cineform.

Firstlight Cineform is by far the fastest primary color grading app I have seen - and I would really like to use it.

Another trick used by Cineform and possibly by 5DtoRGB is to spread the 16-235 range of luma over the entire 10-bit. This offers an extra range while grading.