Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Portable telescopic jibs, cranes
  • Discovery Cam Portable Jib, Alu

Video demo: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDU4OTYwOTY4.html

Specifications:

• Arm length - 205cm
    • Packaged length - 75cm
    • Minimum radius - 47cm
    • Maximum radius - 120cm
    • Max operational height - 290cm
    • Min operational height - 20cm
    • Counterweight ratio - 1:2
    • Max load - 3.5kg
    • Net weight of jib - 1.7kg
    • Tripod and head must be designed for 5-8kg load

Available at our deals:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5505/special-deals-jibs-dollies-sliders#Item_6

• 46 Replies sorted by
  • @peaceonearth

Camera : gh2, and the crane is of course the crane of this topic... There is no post production or stabilisation on crane's shoots. (And for bike's travelling at the end there is ulgly stabilisation with after effects bit it's not subject here)

• pretty nice and pretty smooth! which camera and which crane did you use? Is there stabilisation in post?

• hi guys and girls, I had the time to do some tests. With practice, some method, it is possible to me to do things with this tool. the last two dollies bike in the end have nothing to do.

• @Actarus

If your legs are rated for 4kg, and your head weighs 2kg, then you can place a 2kg camera on the head before you have exceeded rating of legs.

• @Actarus

Just read again my explanation. Summing head and tripod load has zero meaning.

• Thanks. (I meant, if the legs are designed for 4kg, and the head designed for 4kg, their combined payload would be 8kg. But I guess it doesn't work that way)

• @Actarus

I do not know that you understand under "combined". This phrase means that both tripod and head must be designed for such load (hence usage of "and").

As for head. Just get cheap 717 head as spare one.

• What kind of tripod do we need to use one of those jibs? It says "Tripod and head must be designed for 5-8kg load" Is it the payload combined of the legs and head, or just the head that must be designed for 5-8 kg? My heart was set on a sachtler ace (payload of the head is 0-4 kg) would that work? Thanks.

• @inhousegoods Yes and it is a very clever design. Apart from having excellent structural integrity by virtue of an i-beam shaft, the camera mount can be tilted at a 1:1 ratio as it is coupled to the tripod head through a pulley - so if your tripod can tilt 90° so can the varavon jib's camera mount (as a matter-of-fact it can rotate 360° on its axis). @wolfshooter Further, an additional wire under tension linked to the end where the camera mount resides adds lateral stability, i.e. greatly reduced shake.

• Question - how do you guys monitor your jib footage? Monitor on the low end? Or do you go wide and low f-stop for a no-focus requirement :)

• @wolfshooter no haven't really found a specific technique for avoiding it – other than maybe starting off over extended up or down so the shake is minimal by the time your in the useful parts of the movement.

• Do you know if the varavon t3 can tilt completely vertical looking down?

• Hi guys,

So I'm looking to replace my cobra crane backpacker jib. It's a very portable unit if a little short but the biggest problem I find is that it displays too much lateral shake due to the single beam design and the simple connection between tripod mount and jib arm. I would also like to support slightly heavier loads. Add a 1kg fluid head to the front to provide quick angle/framing changes, jib mounted lights, heavier lens, etc... and you're over the 3.5/4kg limit :(

@kingmixer, love the video but I noticed a small amount of shake at the very start of your shot and then some more later on, which is the problem I experience - especially at start and stop points. Mine is relatively steady once you let it go unless you're outside in the wind. Have you found a way to reduce this shake?

Anyone else have any experience with jibs (such as the Varavon T4) and know of a way to reduce the lateral shake or is it a product of being a lightweight design? Any suggestions on other jibs?

• @5thwall, Like I told you, I'd go for the Varavon one with the wires so you can tilt up and down as you boom. Trust me, you'll want that option at some point. As soon as another check clears, I'm going to grab one. Maybe we should just buy one together and pass it off to one another when we need it! haha

• @5thwall

I see no reason getting T2. If you want Varavon get T4, as all you need to turn it to T3 or T2 is wires.

As for carbon cranes, all are good.

• So, now I'm looking to complete my kit (yeah right! ;-) with a jib. I'm currently considering one of the carbon fiber ones on Vitaliy's deals page, the Kessler Pocket Jib (which is not yet available), or possibly the Varavon T2.

Pros and cons to all, I know. The one thing I really like about the Varavon is that you can use the tilt head, which I think would come in handy. Con is that it's not as portable and quick to set up as the others.

Anyone know of anything that "has it all?" Relatively light, longer tail so that I don't have to use as much weight, has a pan head and can tilt?

Thanks!

• hi guys and girls, I bought the crane. Because I have a lot of work, I have not had time to test advanced. All I can tell you today is that the crane is very light, easy to assemble and with practice you can make beautiful camera movements. What I can tell you today is that the water bag is provided in the pro model. review soon...

crane1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 194K
    crane2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 169K
  • @kingmixer

If I tell you how many same things I broke on various bags... :-) I suggest to get ring for keys 9as you did) or similar stuff and put them on all zippers.

• sorry I thought it'd be smaller – taken with phone.

• @kingmixer

OK, but no need to upload huge file of broken clip :-)

• I got mine; wanted to try it out and first thing, with just the faintest resistance, the zipper broke. Weirdest thing – and of course, made me pretty nervous about the material and build quality. Fortunately I can just get a key ring and it should be fine.

Only got to try it out real quick with the assistance of a couple intoxicated friends:

And now on to getting it down smooth.

20130201_172226.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • @arknox

As for carbon ones, guys tested them with 5kg weights, they can hold even it.

• Sounds like it can take more than enough. Thanks for the info.

• Hi @arknox, thank you, I can't comment on what the manufacturer's specs are meant to cover, but I've got 3 five pound weights for counter-weight purposes so I doubt they are meant to be included. Recently in the field I used a GH2, Kit 14-140 with LA7200 and didn't bother taking my Varavon Loupe off, so it made for a pretty solid package on the front.

• @kellar42 - Nice looking footage there. Just wondering how much weight you found this jib can take. You have the Aluminium version is that right?

It's rated as 3.5KG max, does this mean up to 3.5KG (camera only) or up to 3.5KG (camera plus counter weight)?

Thanks