Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Light and good handles for rig
  • I want to make my rig more back heavy and more front light.

I currently have Gini handles and Gini follow focus.

While I think them are both top notch build quality, them are betty heavy. I want to have more balanced rig.

Any suggestions especially for good and light front handles? I would appreciate if you could give the weight of the handles.

I'm especially interested about weight of Tilta and Lanparte handles.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Instead of switching out the handles, I would look into adding weight in the back to counterbalance the rig.

You'll be able to dial in the proper weight by adding/removing weights in the back rather than trying to figure out much different a slightly lighter set of handles will make. Plus, you get to keep using the well-made Gini handles (I have them too and would not want to swap them out for anything).

Some have used scuba (diving) weights, or you could use a sack with lead balls in it to really dial in the proper counterbalance.

• I already have heavy counterbalance. The whole system is pretty heavy. A little bit too heavy I would say.

• @tonalt

Try to move same weight further back, as if it rest on your shoulder it is mostly useless.

• I use the Lanparte 2-piece "basic" handles. High quality typical of Lanparte stuff. Very light and easy to adjust. I paid around 100 Euros for the pair. Frankly, I don't understand all this counterweight nonsense. The GH2's a lightweight DSLR, not a frakin' heavy duty ENG camera. My friends in the sports and news gathering biz just laugh at all the silly DSLR twits trying to pretend they're in a warzone working for a TV network!

• Either way, your arms will ache after 20 minutes. The tried-and-true solution is the ENG camera, despite the weight.

Or, as @Roberto says, get your DSLR onto the shoulder somehow. The weight's off your arms, your hands are freed up for the job and everything gets steadied-up.

(Hardware-hacking the GH2 has suddenly got a little cheaper!) http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2555/gh2-hardware-modifications-not-for-the-faint-hearted/p1