Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 Issues Topic
  • 345 Replies sorted by
  • manstok

ARE YOU SURE there is not uncompressed 4:2:2 output from HDMI as they reported when GH3 was released? something like Nikon D800 has or they will add to Canon 5D mark III when firmware updated by the April 2013... so that for example Ninja could record ProRes 4:2:2 1080 25p with GH3 too?

• @guzak @manstok

This is wrong topic for your talks, read title again, please.

• sorry Vitaliy, I thought ,,GH3 issues,, meand ,,technical things about GH3,, which all my 5 questons are :-( and ,,not adding 4:2:2 HDMI output to the new GH3,, as many indicated, is big disappointment for me.

... so they lost one buyer.

But thanks for this forum! Much helped my GH2 :-)

• Please help me out with some image quality issue.

So, this is a video that I recently made:

It's shot with GH3, Lumix 12-35, 35-100. Except for the beginning (forgot my slider), all shots on the ground were on tripod while those mid-air were hand held. I think the IQ really isn't that great. By that, I mean not sharp enough. What did I do wrong? Wrong setting? In need of a polarizer? Do I need better stablizer? Better weather? Thanks!

• @cindy6

I thought it looked great! Which F-Stop did you have it set to? On zoom lens, whenever I have a closed down aperture, everything is so in focus that I'd completely have the wrong focus point on my subject. If that's the case, a LCD Viewfinder should help if you didn't have one.

• @griplimited

wow, that was quick. tkx! most of it was f/5. it's more shallow up front, which is why the flowers are out of focus. by sharp, i was thinking this sharp:

yeah yeah, i know it's philp bloom. but i'm only trying to match the iq part:)

and even this is sharper than mine. and it's shot in berlin winter as well. so weather is not an excuse:

• Did you do any color grading? For the PB vid, it's definitely graded.

• @cindy6 yeah i agree its not that sharp. what codec were you shooting at? were any shots in etc mode? im guessing so because i dont think the 100mm has that much reach in some of your climbing shots.

• @griplimited Yes I did, not professionally of course.

@MRfanny used H264. Yes I used etc for some shots. But it's the other shots, like those upfront with teh flowers that really concern me. There were on tripod and still soft, and have terrible moire. All the shots were taken constrast-1, sharpness-1, saturation-1. f stop 2.8 for the flower scenes and 4.0-4.5 for the rest. shutter at 1/300 or 1/500 (don't have variable ND filter).

• Did you sharpen in post, or is this straight out of the camera?

• @AdamT I did sharpen a bit, but not too much.

• When using outboard mics with the GH3 such as a Rode set to +20 dB , you must be careful - even with the GH3's mic preamp input levels set to minimum, you may be overloading the GH3 and it's limiter may be working constantly. Solution - set Rode to 0 dB and then bring up GH3 level if need be.

• Hi All

I've just got a GH3 (having previously had a GH1/GH2) but if I try to film in manual mode, as soon as I start filming it switches to auto and I cannot change anything (aperture, shutter speed, iso or whatever). This is also the case in A and S priority modes. I never had this problem on the GH1/GH2. Has anyone else come across this problem or has the design changed and am doing something wrong?

Thanks

• you have to be in creative mode… for video. Not the photo PASM modes.

• Hi, I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone can shed some light on an annoying glitch I have found with the Creative Control Mode on my GH3. The manual states that you can use the up and down arrows to navigate the image effects once the mode dial has been set to the painter's pallet icon. When I follow these instructions, I am unable to scroll using the arrows. Nothing happens. To set the effect, I either have to use the touch screen or use the menu. The next problem is with the One Point Color effect. I have taken a few shots using this effect in RAW and these can be viewed on the camera satisfactorily but when I load them into either Silkypix, Lightroom or Aperture, the preview looses the effect as if no effect has been applied. The same is true if I view the shots in Finder (Mac). Can any one help please. Thanks

• @crowbar: You may want to try recording in MOV format, it records uncompressed audio so there should be no reduction in quality / no compression artefacts.

• For whatever it means I just went to Samys on Sepulveda in Culver City to have my first look at the GH3. My only comment here is about the EVF. I'm a 37 year old male that wears contacts and I'll say, I had ZERO problems with the EVF. I didn't adjust it or anything. I put it up to my eyes and racked focus up and down Samys looking into the bottom right corner of the EVF and had no problem at all. I couldn't see any softness corner to corner. I asked them how how long the unit was sitting there and they said they just put it out a couple days ago. Now I'm not saying people don't know how to use the EVF so don't go jumping down my neck here, I'm just saying I had no problem at all and it and the screen looked far better than both of my GH2's. Not sure if it's been fixed yet or the planets aligned perfectly at that exact moment, but take it how you want it.

• @vicharris

I got my hands wet on a copy just last week and I saw the issue with the LVF. I guess the issue could be best described as if there were some kind of smearing on the corners / rim of the glass, much akin to the kind of effect a convex lens would produce.

I can commiserate with @Davidz, cos i would be as equally frustrated having shelled out good money for a new camera. I was a whisker away from making my purchase, the LVF was the deal breaker.

• Ok, and I'm saying I didn't see it. So it seems to be fine with some people and not with others. Bad copies, good copies, people who can see good, people who can't see for shit. People with astigmatism. Which I have. All I'm saying to anyone is don't write it off till you've actually put it up to your eye and tested it.

• Anyone had any issues with their hot shoe coming loose? The hot shoe on top of my gh3 has come loose on the left side, so anything that goes on top wobbles. Sounds like a screw has come loose.

• @collierlandry Yes! Mine came loose on one side, and on next use it came off alltogether. I have now sent it in for a repair.

hotshoe.jpg
    640 x 480 - 32K
  • @toxotis70, regarding audio levels, I simply make sure that I'm getting a good level, (3-4 bars) making certain that I'm not banging off the top end. Then, I forget about it. Adjustment take place in post. I find that you can always bump up a digital signal if necessary. You can't fix distortion.

• the problem with EVF , reminds me another problem with DLP video projectors . Its called rainbow effect and some people are more sensitive to this than others.

I have GH3 also, and the only problem with EVF is, that if you look it off center is a little blurry. But thats not a real problem… you never have to look the evf this way!

• I've had an Australian PAL version now for about a week. A couple of times I've turned it on only to be met with a distinct lack of power (despite full battery). Turning it off and on again has it working fine.

Also on the odd occasion the power light has come on however the EVF/OLED have both remained blank. Half pressing the shutter a few times generally has it springing back to life within a moment or two.

• @ fahrenheit My brand new GH3 was randomly going to sleep as you describe yours doing, and I had "Sleep" turned off. I called the place I ordered it from and they took it back and sent me a new one as soon as they got one in. When I called Panasonic they said I might have some incompatible settings and wanted me to reset the cam. I recorded every setting I had, and immediately applied those settings to the new cam w/o any problems.