Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon D5200 topic
  • 651 Replies sorted by
  • CoolColj This camera delivers great video quality even with the kitlens! I shot with my Nikon18-200 VRII and looked very clean, not that digital look that you get with the Canon and standard lenses.

• I must admit, the D5200 has a certain distinct look - that's neither like my GH2 or Sony RX100

Where would be without a cat test?! :p

edit - panning is smooth! No GH2 like judder

• @CoolColJ What was your sharpness setting?

• Dynamic range of the d5200 is very good. A couple of ugly screenshots that show the difference to the hacked GH2. Both cameras at same settings for exposure and same WB settings, both cameras with kit lenses. The Nikon is set to portrait dialled down in contrast and saturation, while the GH2 is smooth dialed all the way down. Nikon does especially well with holding on to the shadows. I might add that focus on both is set to the white post in the middle at f5.6, so the background is a little mushy. Was only checking out DR on this one.

gh2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 692K
    nikond5200.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • I'm getting horizontal banding in the shadows at proper exposure using the kit 18-55 lens plus an old Nikkor -H 1:2 & a Sigma 70-200 1:2.8 lens in full manual mode at any ISO range. 1/50 in 24p & 30p record more. I turned off sound, NR, HDR. White balance is set to tungsten. Picture control is set at sharpening 0, contrast -3, brightness -1, saturation -1, hue -2. I even put the cover over the eye piece. This looks just like the old GH1 banding issues that never went away. And a real let down.

I did some exterior shots with the same lens using Sunny and auto white balance with the same settings above and the horizontal banding didnt show up in any of my shots. Perhaps the sensor is rated more towards daylight than tungsten.

• please post native files...

• @eyenorth Thanks for the comparison. There are some jagged edges (aliasing? artifacting?) in the tree branches of the first photo. Are they present in the actual footage as well?

• @QuickHitRecord I would put it down to artifacting - sharpness was dialled all the way down. But I'm not sure. Shot was handheld without OIS, so I might have picked a frame where there was some movement of the frame. It was shot with Flow Motion v2 in HBR PAL mode this might also have some influence as I understand Flow Motion is best in 24p.

• @rigs Thats odd. I dont see any horizontal banding in shadows until the really high isos around 3200 onward. Im using standard picture profile NR off, -1 saturation,contrast all the way down and sharpness -3. Using neutral has been found to bring more banding issues.

The D5200 has quite a high sensitivity so a gentle approach is needed :-D

Edit: I just did a extreme test and notice some fpn (similar to GH1) but if you overexpose a tad and bring it down in post you get clean results. What Fatman73 was saying.

• The Dr compared to the gh3 seems really good, more so that it is only standard profile, while you have even flatter profile in Neutral and some user custom version.

• @tinyrobot

What was your sharpness setting?

Sorry it's not my video, but I'm close to getting a D5200 myself :)

I do like the look of the bronze coloured one...

• @ Mimirsan was your fpn test with tungsten white balance. I picked up a Sigma 18-70 2.8 and fpn is still there with that lens to under tungsten WB even at iso 100. But not there in daylight WB.

• Does the D5200 have some sort of dynamic range booster in video like on the Gh2 and RX100? These tend to add noise in the shadows

In the pics above, that contrasty, saturated look of the GH2 is pretty evident - noticed it on the Zacuto shootout vs the other highend cameras. Even more contrasty than my RX100 with everything dialed down, and I think the RX100 has more dynamic range than the GH2 as well.

• @CoolColJ lol, the first cat is very funny

• @rigs Funnily enough yeah. I was using tungsten wb. Its a little less with auto. And virtually gone with daylight.

• @eyenorth The two cameras have different luminance curves. The DR difference isn't as big as the shots appear.

1st pic is the GH2, with curves adjustment. The 2nd pic is the untouched Nikon shot. Hope you don't mind me using your frame grabs :)

GH2 has blotchy shadows, and the highlights are more clipped.

gh2-curves.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 665K
    ce9da2b9ffee570f918be982610878.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @Matt agreed - and glad you made some use of the screengrabs :-) After testing a bit these couple of days I feel that the ability to customize your picture profiles coupled with the edge in dynamic range still makes for a significant difference to my GH2 and a more gradable image.

A different issue is the noise. Generally I feel it performs very well in low light, but when the horizontal noise banding comes it doesn't look so good and is tricky to get rid of in NeatVideo. Below is a test I did with both Tungsten and Daylight WB and waveforms to see how the sensor behaves at different ISO's. To my eye it has a lower noise floor in daylight WB at low and high ISO's, but in between the difference fluctuates and Tungsten seems to have an edge at certain ISOs. This was shot with Portrait dialled all the way down except brightness pushed to top:

HQ file can be downloaded here: https://mega.co.nz/#!l8YGxKxB!LVl_Eg6WoWSOwaFpTvFiAAKUzfECdy8jkgngEQQ5_6M

• @eyenorth This is a great test. Thanks for posting. My D5200 should be arriving today. Can't wait!

• @eyenorth You can reduce this horizontal noise banding quite effectively by using a AviSynth Anti-Aliasing script. It really does a great job and together with NeatVideo you can have super clean video.

• @Craftwerk Thanks for the tip - I'll be checking that out :-)

• @Craftwerk What has been your workflow for your D5200 footage thus far? What has gotten you the best results?

• @QuickHitRecord I shoot everything in 1080p 30p (eventhough I live in a 25p PAL country) just to have smooth video. Even footage shot at 100 ISO is pulled through the Avisynth AA script just to make it as smooth as possible. I used this on my D5100 videos because that camera suffered a lot from aliasing. This script is a great way of getting rid of it and also works as some kind of denoiser. The funny thing is that this script also helps to minimize the anoying effect of this horizontal lines that we have talked about on this forum.

Sofar I believe the Standard Picture Style gave the best results but Neutral is better for dynamic range. I also tried TassinFlat, and AlvaroYus picture style which is super flat! but all seems to produce more horizontal patterns than shooting in Standard. So this is what I use: Standard with contrast to minimum and sharpness 2 or 3.

• Thanks eyenorth, great test. After much deliberation and one failed order I just ordered another D5200 for $700 shipped from HK. Hopefully this one WILL arrive in a week! It really is starting to look like a 5D killer. I was contemplating getting a GH3 but it just doesn't seem to have the filmic quality of the D5200.

• @squig You're flip-flopping like a US President :p Just wondering how much duties are from HK imports over there?

• LOL I was called a flip flopper when I decided to upgrade from the D90 to the 5D. There's no import duty on anything under $1000 in Aus. You can get one here for $850 with a 2year local Nikon factory warranty but I like to live dangerously. I might quickly upgrade to a D7100 if it doesn't have any moire issues so the less resale hit I take the better. (might just keep it as a backup/b-cam though).