Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @shamo42

That is weird. The video definitely looks like your second image more than the first image. I actually like the noise reduction for the 2.7K video. I think it does an adequate job and then I don't have to do it in post. These videos were uploaded as they came out of the camera so what you see is what you get.

I am liking what I got so far very much. However, it is taking me a longer time to edit the videos. I have twice as much footage since I shot them simultaneously. I keep selecting GH2 footage to use but then I look at the GP3 footage and I want to use both. These two cameras are outstanding and when used together they are simply fantastic.

I can honestly say that shooting low light ultra wide angle videos with m4/3s is useless with the GP3 as an option.

• This is weird. The first 2 frames of the 2.7K Protune video look unprocessed with (color) noise. All the other frames seem to have some kind of noise reduction. A bug?

no-noise-reduction.jpg
    1980 x 1116 - 1M
    noise-reduction.jpg
    1916 x 1080 - 1M
  • @mpgxsvcd Thanks for the uploads. 2.7k 30p looks nice.

• @peternap

The files I posted are straight out of the camera. However, I am editing together the footage now. It will take a bit of work to get the GP3 footage to look anything like the GH2 footage. It is not that the GP3 is bad. It is just different.

Shooting wide angle and tight at the same time is wonderful for events like this. You never miss anything and it was easy to shoot that way. The GP3 remote was in my left hand and the GH2+GP3 was in my right hand. I could start and stop them simultaneously.

• @mpgxsvcd What's your workflow on them?

• Here is a 720p @ 120 FPS video. remember this is indoors in very poor lighting. The 120 FPS mode is almost useless indoors. Outside it may be better.

• @GravitateMediaGroup It's a little more than the light not going off. Both of mine often need the batteries pulled before they will turn on after charging.

• Here are some real world downloadable files straight from the GoPro III black mounted on the GH2. Both files are available for comparison. The GH2 had the 25mm F1.4 @ F1.4 on it. Trust me this part of the gym is REALLY REALLY DARK. Both of these cameras are preforming very well in these conditions.

The 4K @ 15 FPS shows too much noise but the resolution is great. The 1080p @ 60 FPS has way to much noise reduction. However, the 2.7K @ 30 FPS looks almost perfect. Outdoors I think the 1080p @ 60 FPS and perhaps the 720p @ 120 FPS would look good as well. In my experience the 4K is never better than the 2.7K.

4K GoPro

GH2 footage during 4K recording GoPro

2.7K GoPro

GH2 footage during 2.7K recording GoPro

1080p @ 60 FPS Medium Angle of view GoPro

GH2 footage during 1080p @ 60 FPS recording GoPro

• @peternap @GravitateMediaGroup

All GP3 blacks have an issue where the red light always stays on. In addition the write errors are caused by using the old battery pack. I bought several more GoPro III batteries today. The GP3 doesn't seem to do well on battery life. I was getting less than two hours per battery and the remote battery ran out in less than 4 hours.

All of the Best Buys in my area had plenty of the GP3 blacks earlier in the week.

I got the frame at Best Buy today as well.

• Bestbuy.com doesn't have them either

What's this "charging issue" with them?

• @GravitateMediaGroup I think GoPro is pissed at Best Buy and sent them all their rejects first.

• Wonder why BH and amazon don't have it yet.

• @mpgxsvcd Is your Black charging properly?

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Yes. I got my hero 3 black from Best Buy early last week.

• Is the hero 3 already on sale or something?

• mpgxsvcd, that's awesome, thanks for taking the time to post all these samples and put together these videos, it's very informative and much appreciated!

• I shot 30 Gigs worth of GoPro 3 and GH2 footage today. Trying to edit that much footage will be tough but I will try to get a video up this weekend to show how the GP3 cuts into GH2 footage.

• In Protune mode, most of the in- camera processing is turned off, including noise reduction, thus the reason for the noisey appearance. The gamma like lift also exposes more noise.

At least you now have a choice, PRotune with flat curve and adjusted in post or non Protune for a consumer exceptable finished look direct from the camera. Pick which ever one matches your A roll.

Problem is, without Protune enabled, there is no 35 - 46mbps data rate, you revert to 16mbps and more artefacts. Pick your poison.

• @peternap

it stands to reason the flat image can be improved as much or more

The issue is, I think, whether the image can be made 'cleaner' while still retaining an accurate tone curve. Which IMO the in-camera processing does not do.

I have ordered a GP3, and when it comes I will check this out. It is a big deal for me, the GP3 has to remain visibly close to the A-roll tone curve :-)

• I know the difference between Cineform (even though I don't use it) and Protune.

I thought the discussion was the sharpness of the image in Protune and using Cineform as a common denominator.

GP3 looks somewhat blurry in these shots, especially compared to GH2

I agree. I have been looking at rather too many 1080p videos these past few months while looking at GH2 / FZ200 / LX7 / LX5 and I see a lack of resolution in these images at the pixel level. That is not something which can usually be remedied by sharpening. I have been using Cineform as a codec for years, and have never seen any loss of resolution from it. So I am puzzled what is happening here,

My overall assessment is that my LX7 and FZ200 (in 1080p) seem to be producing clearer images overall than those from GP3, even at 4K...

• I think people need to be careful not to confuse Cineform CODEC with Protune.

David Newman's personal blog http://cineform.blogspot.com

• It's pretty easy to see. If you shoot in Protune off, you get an image that's reasonably sharp. Protune on a moderately soft, noisy, flat image.

The standard sharpening and noise reduction do a pretty good job so it stands to reason the flat image can be improved as much or more.

• Trevmar said

My point was that David knows exactly what a good professional encoder should do. I doubt that he would accept too many compromises from the H264, and I trust him to know how to optimize the data stream going to the codec in order to get maximum pp capability :-)

But that's not what you said. To quote you " That is not something which can usually be remedied by sharpening. I have been using Cineform as a codec for years, and have never seen any loss of resolution from it. So I am puzzled what is happening here"

I'm assuming you mean Cineform codec was affecting the sharpness/ resolution of the GoPro HD3 image that was posted. As I replied, Cineform codec is not what comes out of the camera and it's OPTIONAL as a conversion in Cineform Studio, most people bypass Studio because it's buggy as hell and David Newman knows it. ( they just released a new Cineform Studio update last nite to try fix it)

I'm well aware who David Newman is, I converse with him regular on Twitter, met with him last year when I was invited by Nick Woodman to tour GoPro HQ's, used his Neoscene products for years and I posted about his his blog here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2900/-gopro-protune-35mbps-released-app-now-hd3#Item_180

• David N was my go to guy at Cineform, he definitely knows what he is doing.

• @Rambo

Cineform has nothing to do with it

" .. GoPro’s Senior Director of Software Engineering (p.k.a. CineForm CTO.) David Newman .. "

http://www.fxphd.com/blog/cineform_protune_gopro_hero3/

My point was that David knows exactly what a good professional encoder should do. I doubt that he would accept too many compromises from the H264, and I trust him to know how to optimize the data stream going to the codec in order to get maximum pp capability :-)