Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Long presentation of FS100
  • http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/video/collections-nab2011/video-nab2011_theater_nxcam_35mm/

This was performed at NAB 2011.

It has one more citing of 4:4:4 output capability.

Considering the price, features, image quality FS100 is better than AF100 in many applications.
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • >the link is no more working..has somebody a workable link?

Looks like server problems.
    May be hackers finally got them all :-)
  • the link is no more working..has somebody a workable link?
  • >Feel like it should be time for the Canon "equivalent" offering so too speak, somewhere in the next four months or so

This can be postponed even if they had something.

>AF100 will now think twice and probably wait for the FS100 unless panny comes out with some firmware magic..

I see that Sony is working hard to ship FS100 asap and in competitive pricing.
    As for firmware, I think that we could see surprises from FS100.
    AF100 hardware seems already pushed to its limits.
  • the FS100 and the AF100. I think even the model numbers show direct competition.. :)

After reading about the FS100, I think it does offer more for almost the same price. It's too bad too, I really want to like the AF100 for some reason.

I think panasonic needs to really push the AF100's hardware to it's limit with some kind of firmware updates so that it doesn't get left behind. If they did this NOW then when the FS100 comes out, they'll still have some market share left. I think that most people who are getting ready to purchase an AF100 will now think twice and probably wait for the FS100 unless panny comes out with some firmware magic..
  • Thank you Vitaliy. I am following the FS100 in relation to the AF100 with interest and value your opinion.

Feel like it should be time for the Canon "equivalent" offering so too speak, somewhere in the next four months or so... And if so I suspect they will produce the camera that will to the FS an AF.
    But it's nothing more than my own speculation...

What are your thoughts?

Best
    Lliam

• Few key points:

a) Same sensor as in F3, specially designed for video unlike AF100.
    b) RGB 4:4:4 output via HDMI.
    c) Body is better than AF100 due to magnesium shell (ala ThinkPads).

Main difference here is that AF100 is using mix of consumer camcorders electronics, GH series sensor (with AA filter on top) and XLR part from prosumer cameras.
    Sony FS100 get most parts from properly designed large sensor camera (F3).

My opinion is that future is with Sony cameras, despite some design flaws of FS100.