Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
AVCHD: Stable settings
  • 288 Replies sorted by
  • @swen24
    @tomaso

I am trying out your settings. I find something very strange with how GH2 calculates the capacity (time remaining) of SD cards in MPEG (HD) mode. It does not matter whether I put in an 8gb, 16gb, or 32gb card. GH2 gives me only 8 minutes and 20 seconds of recording. I have not tried to actually record pass 8m20s to see if the recording stops or not. But it is strange. I believe these settings have something to do with the incorrect calculation of the remaining time for MPEG mode:

1080p24 Low Top Setting=31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824
    720p Top Setting=31878
    720p Bottom Setting=22314
    1080i60 Top Setting=31598
    1080i60 Bottom Setting=22118

The remaining time calculations for AVCHD are correct for all the modes. Does anybody have a problem like what I have described above or it's just me?

@Vitaliy_Kiselev

I do not know whether my finding has any value to you that the above setting affects the time remaining calculation in MPEG (HD) mode. Thank you very much for such a wonderful work.
    sete.zip
    336B
  • @ishvar
    > I have just loaded 24p @ 42mbs, butt's 720P and Ipowells mjpeg settings. All in all great improvements compared to stock and pretty stable. Use freshly formatted card as much as possible @ the beginning of each new shooting.

thank for feet back
  • @cbrandin thanks for this valueble info!
  • Tried Kae's settings today @ 50mbs @ GOP 6 and had 2 card errors in 25 shots orso. I have just loaded 24p @ 42mbs, butt's 720P and Ipowells mjpeg settings. All in all great improvements compared to stock and pretty stable. Use freshly formatted card as much as possible @ the beginning of each new shooting.
    Camera frooze just once but carderrors were plenty the last few days testing 65mbs 50 etc.
    The next update will be in Ptools 1.62! Yammy!
  • who cares about the garbage in the beginning of the file?
    Just cut it later.
  • I agree with parkgt. I think we should have a clean topic that would list all stable settings for NTSC and PAL worlds separately or both if stable under all conditions. This is just to make it easier for every one to use the stable setting.
  • I appreciate all the hard work and testing that everyone is doing; but it seems that the title of this topic is misleading. There seems to be more discussion about what doesn't work than what does.

Maybe this one could be changed to "Almost stable" and then one could be started for ones that have been confirmed to be stable under all conditions.

• There is an issue with the firmware that comes up when a value of over 32765 is used for bitrate (you get huge bitrates because of an integer overflow). It looks like the codec sees this impossible value and replaces it with defaults in the stream, but internally it just goes nuts. Vitaliy is planning to release a fix for this soon.

• Elecard Streameye Studio - Initial Buffers at startup comparison over 4 different bitrates;-
    24mbps (stock GH2), 32mbps Hacked, 42 hacked, 65 hacked. Make what you will of the buffers being initialised. 24mbps and 42mpbs are exact match! See attached
    comparisn of gh2 buffer headers at different bitrates.txt
  • Last settings from Butt is working for me only for 1080i
    When I trying to record 720p@50 I get Wright Error.
    Kingston 32 SDHC C10
    May be card is not genuie, but I dont sure about that. Anyway, my workflow is alwas 720p@50 (by a reason that in 720 rolling shutter is less noticible) and this setting failed for me.
    When I get a new Trascend 32 SDHC C10 card I will try again. Or may be someone will submit better settings that will work for my setup.
  • shot a full 16GB Class 6 Transcend using only the suggested bitrate high and low numbers (42 and 35 . . . add the zeros??) Only 2 minor hiccups, and I was shooting outside handheld on a hot day, along with inside with the ISO maxed out. Edited short-film to come ;)
  • @ishvar
    ??? tell us what they want ???
    the GOP6 1080/24p is stable!!!
  • Tested these settings today but they are not stable @ 24p!
    Used class Sandisc SDHC extreme 10 card but had a couple of reading errors and one freeze (waving leaves)
    720 GOP 30 is really great for my slider and steadycam! Thanks a lot!
    One thing what i wanted to share is how the hack influences the depth of the video.
    For me it is not only about details, sharpness and colours. The colours of my Pentax K-5 look better anyway but resolution sucks! I have it for stills and steadicamshots with the Sigma 8-16mm because of it's weight.
    With 62/65 mbs 1080 there is a subtle change in the depht and cleanliness of the footage compared to stock.
  • @otcx
    thanks for feetback!
    here a new stable GOP6 1080/24pN Setting (including GOP30 720p B-Frames and LPowell 1080p MJPeg)
    GOP Struktur 1080p: IbbpbbIbbpbbI. . .
    setf.zip
    540B
  • Butts sugested settings seems to be werry stable and work really well.
    Just waiting next Ptool to get more out of GH2.
  • My problem is

Video Bitrate 24H = 65000000
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size = 3
    Video buffer = 0x3000000
    Video buffer 24p = 0x3600000
    1080p24 High Top Setting = 42418
    1080p24 High Bottom Setting = 29692
    1080p24 Low Top Setting = 31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting = 21824

1 second to play when it comes garbled screen. How do I fix this problem?
  • by "crash the codec" I just mean get a 'motion recording stopped because card too slow' error and recording stops. The camera never locks up with these settings in my experience. Also, if it is going to give the 'card to slow' error, it will happen in the first ~15 seconds or not at all. Since it's probably very rare that this will happen in real world situations, and once it's running for 15 sec it is stable, I'm willing to live with that remote possibility of a false start to a clip for now to get 32 Mbit in 720p60.

Since the only risk of getting the error is in the first 15 sec of a shot, and I have successfully shot video up to 42mBit/sec in 1080p 24 80% (without ever failing), I feel that the text of this error is not actually true in this case but instead is reflecting some sort of buffering issue with the higher bitrates in 60fps at the beginning of a clip, potentially related to the fact that 1080p footage looks like crap for the first second or two as the codec gets 'up to speed', but 720p60, at least with these settings, looks good from the start meaning it is writing the full datarate at the beginning of this clip when buffering, writing, encoding, etc is just starting. But I bet Vitaliy and others know a lot more about this than I do :) And I have not played around with changing the buffer settings yet.
  • @arvidtp
    "With 28 Mbits 720p60 I could not crash the codec. With 32 Mbits I did crash it once, but it seems to be very difficult (have not been able to crash it again) and would rarely happen in real life situations. "

Define "crash the codec"?
    Did the camera lockup?
  • Here are the very stable settings I'm currently using (based on swen's from early in this thread, but with a boost from 28 to 32 Mbits/sec in 720p60 mode). Clips seems to span fine over files on a Patriot LX 32GB SDHC card for both 720p60 and 1080p24 80%. With 28 Mbits 720p60 I could not crash the codec. With 32 Mbits I did crash it once, but it seems to be very difficult (have not been able to crash it again) and would rarely happen in real life situations.
    arvidtp-seth.zip
    397B
  • I filmed non-stop about 20 minutes. After creating the first about 4 gigabytes video on SDXC card my camera total "freezes" and I had to remove the battery. This next video block to SDXC card is dead, 0 kb ....
    Bitrate 25,000, GOP12, 1080 50i
    Transcend SDXC 64 gigabytes Class 10
  • And -- as you can see, you can dig some detail out of the darks too! :)
    EDIT: Added the settings INI file (if you're lazy) :D

SUGGESTION: Vitaliy: Wouldn't it be cool if you added the support for INI files for the upload + add a function where when a INI file is uploaded it is displayed in a "available ready-sets" section of the site (with a link to the source discussion)? :) (I know my settings are hardly worthy, but for the really good ones (so they are easier to find?) Wouldn't that be dataset semantic heaven? :D

EDIT: It's not all business, you know! I've included a picture of my newborn 5 day old daughter. I'll have more (detailed (60fps 40mbit)) memories of her being a baby because of your hacking, Vitaliy! Just wanted to remind you of the work you're doing and on the levels it affects us all. So THANK YOU, Vitaliy!
    test-orig.png
    1280 x 720 - 650K
    test-levels.png
    1280 x 720 - 745K
    setj.ini.zip
    337B
    P1000153.jpg
    1826 x 2739 - 3M
  • Just FYI if you are searching for a "all-situation-stable" bitrate for Class 6 cards (Tested with Transcend SDHC 16GB) I can tell you you should use a PTool bitrate of 40 mbit/s. High ISO with normal or EX situations report 41.38 mbps and that's the best my Class 6 card has been able to handle without hiccups.

Also I noticed that using "AUTO ISO" with the exposure comp. cranked to +3, instead of "3200" ISO gives you more sensor sensitivity in low light situations.
    Beware: Auto Focus isn't that great + most of the bitrate goes to noise encoding :D
  • @arvidtp
    720p B-Frames Setting (However, stability is an issue. If you record a 1080p @ 24 FPS video first and then record 720p @ 60 FPS stability returns.)
  • @kavadni If in doubt, apply the same patch again. This may sound like a myth though...
  • @kavadni

Yeah, default formatting for SD cards uses a different allocation unit size than the camera uses - that can devastate performance. Hope that's all it was.

Chris