Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Quick Release solutions for One Camera and multiple Devices?
  • There are plenty of Quick release solutions available - but most involve some kind of vendor lock-in.

This video doesn't help re a universal solution; like most, it simply encourages buyers to buy an entire matching set of devices. But at least it gets the one camera > many devices message across.

Does anyone know of a solid DSLR system where you could ideally buy, say, Several Base Plates (AKA clamps) with (1) camera plate?

That way, we'd have a camera plate on our camera, which stays on. There's a tripod waiting with a base plate assembly already attached; also a stabiliser, a shoulder rig and a triangle dolly - all with base-plates ready for truly quick attaching of the camera.

Now, is that too much to ask, without buying a plethora of camera plates/base plate sets, each in its own blister pack?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I decided to use the Manfrotto 501pl system. And buy only heads with this plate. The Arca Swiss style plates try to be a standard here you can find a list of compatible heads/plates from different companies:

http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html

Another solutions are adapters like that one in the photo (61,99$) to put on top of the release plate of the stabilizer etc. In this Internet site www.calumetphoto.com there are for Manfrotto, Gitzo etc:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/browse/categories/photo-gear/tripods-monopods-accessories/quick-release-adapters-plates?brandSelected=

28_BG15969_None_3.jpg
    300 x 300 - 27K
  • @Kihlian

Thanks for the link to the cross-compatibility, of clamps and plates, http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html

I will never buy any device again without comparing its clamp to this list!

(What, are they really all so patent-protected that each tripod manufacturer can't afford the compliance cost and goes out on their own?)

If so, I'd like to see an open-source standard.

• @goanna I started with the Manfrotto 701HDV after that mi gears increased I started to think about compatibility etc. but now I have 3 heads with the 501pl plate.. If you find out a good fluid head from the list let me know.

• I won't be buying any fluid heads with un-removable clamps. My Miller tripods come with a flat alloy base. All my clamps will be removable.

If I go with a standard design like as @Vitaliy_Kiselev is suggesting with the Manfrotto 501PL, I'd like a kit with, say, 5-10 adapter clamps, (at left) for all my tripods, skate dolly, stabilizer, car mount, Eye2Eye, Race Course tower, monopod, etc. But only 1 plate (at right) because I have only one GH2.

It all comes down to price and speed.

• I use Manfrotto 501pl and 504pl for everthing. Works great.