Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
'Apocalypse Now' Experimental Series 1 Thread - BOOM, Intravenus - cbrandin/driftwood AN Soft/Cinema
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @DeShonDixon, love your video man...

• @proaudio4 - That was "Boom!" On the Panny 14-140 to boot. And yes, 24H

• @artiswar Was that shot using AN Boom! 24H? Simply amazing quality.

• All, I've been away for a bit and just got around to trying 'Apocalypse Now' . Since I needed readability for a wedding shoot, I loaded Driftwood Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 seti

Is it just me, or is 'Apocalypse Now' a major improvement in image quality? I've been holding on to Sedna AQ1 for a while, which really does look good.

There's a whole new look that's no longer a signature of the GH2 (granted the GH2 signature is good), but the image really seems very close to a film look and without the sparkling artifacts that scream video.

I'm actually blown away with the smooth color graduations and warm professional look.

• I just noticed, i can not recall any thread with as many different settings in it. Kinda hard to keep an overview on my quest for my best setting.

I really liked AN gop6 nebula soft. Just from the colors something felt a bit weird. I think mostly the "greens".

Flowmotion 2.02 was tossed into the ring: a great setting, great allround, very reliable. Still what AN Boom or Valkyrie type zero gives me, appeals a bit more to my eye.

Valkyrie type zero: great setting, looks very nice, but the files are the same size as AN BOOM! which is all intra.

AN BOOM!: Really a marvellous setting. Just cant figure out, why it is supposed to rather not be good for wide shots. The only bummer with this setting is the file size.

Would be outstanding to have the reliability and file size of flowmotion with the image quality and file size of BOOM! or type zero. But thats probably like askin for a ferrari at the price of a lada. Dont get me wrong, i am not complaining, its wonderful to have so many motivated and gifted people here, I just start feeling that i dont know what to use anymore... :-)

• @bheath Thanks! Yeah I did mix 60p with 24p

• @DeShonDixon - great skate video. I like the imperfect athlete feeling. Very fun. Did you mix 60p with 24p?

• @deshondixon Lol. Smooth - wow - interesting. Reminded me of footage others shot on different patch/settings but with standard. Will have to do some test shooting soon will all these great new patches/settings. Great work - keep rocking.

• @matt_gh2 nope its was smooth -2 haha

• @deshondixon Those 2 lenses cut together real well in editing. Were you on Standard all -2 by chance? Looked like Standard with a mild grade in editor. Nice stuff.

• @matt_gh2 I used the 14-42mm kit lens and a Olympus Zuiko 35mm f/2.0 lens

• @deshondixon Nice looking skate video with AN Boom. Very smooth edit - well done. What settings and lens did you use?

• Apocalypse Now BOOM ON GF2 1080i iA Sandisk UltraII.jpg
    1289 x 673 - 294K
    Apocalypse Now BOOM ON GF2 720p iA Sandisk UltraII.jpg
    1285 x 675 - 309K
  • Got a feature shoot begins on 17th and really digging the boom settings. May be the one.

• NEW!!!

I released two candidates of following Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 AN.

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/83686#Comment_83686

While improving, I am going to develop this in my thread so that it may not become the obstacle of Nick. :-)

• @driftwood: what was your first impulse to say BOOM! is rather not for wide shots? The wideshots i have seen so far with it, look pretty good.

• @deshondixon: that video looks really awesome, you really have a good feel for the camera.

• Used Apocalyse Boom

• Apocalypse Boom! 24P -2-2-2-2 Smooth; Shutter 1/60; all ISO 160 except the pot was at ISO 320 (maybe 640). Lens Nikon 35mm G F1.8. Wide open.

1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I used Apocalypse BOOM for a video I shot for fun with my friend and it works freaking! Perfect I love it! Even for wide shots and everything! No crashes or anything!! Still sharp on my old manual lens and works even great on my panasonic lens!

• @onionbrain Thanks for the review! After reading Driftwood's description I didn't bother to download it because it looked too specialized. I'm going to give it a workout on the farm tomorrow. You didn't mention low light which is an unbelievably strong point in AN soft. Hopefully, BOOM is as good.

Edited to add:

I just did some low light shots in the office. This may be his best low light setting yet. Even at 6400 with only the light from a red railroad beacon, it cleaned up well enough.

• My initial reactions to Apocalypse Now 'Boom!' ...

The biggest thing I noticed is that this setting appears to handle highlights better than anything I remember on a GH2. Highlights that would traditionally be a disaster -- aren't with this patch. It's the difference between usable and unusable. It's not magically preserving highlights -- all the old exposure rules apply -- but it is better.

Banding is almost nonexistent. Almost. You need to be looking for it very closely. No normal audience would be distracted by banding.

Sharpness is a bit of a mystery on this one. With classic Nikkors, including the notoriously soft (cheap) 20mm f/3.5 AI-S, it's sharp -- very pleasing. Normally this would mean that this setting would be a disaster with a micro-four-thirds lens. For whatever reason -- it isn't a disaster on MFT lenses -- I saw none of that "edge flicker" that I would normally expect from a sharp matrix on an MFT lens. This setting is either doing something right or represents a very nice balance. Details are handled very well -- nothing "fake" looking.

It's a high bitrate intraframe in the full glory of the Driftwood tradition -- about 140 Mbps. Murder on card/disc space -- and better looking than anything you could possibly deliver to any normal consumer.

Colors are very natural looking -- nothing excessive. Visually -- you'd have a hell of a time telling it apart from almost any 4:2:2 broadcast camera. Visually. I didn't run any keying tests.

I was not able to crash 24H. I shot wide and tele, classic Nikkors and Panasonic MFT. I didn't do the old river tests -- but I did do wide, high detail, fast camera motion. No crashes. AND -- it spanned flawlessly at 24H.

If I could afford the disc space (as I write this I'm sitting next to 27.5 terabytes of storage with about 100 gigabytes free) -- I'd use this for everything.

All of the above is my initial reaction after about two days of playing with it.

Below is an exceptionally crappy and boring video featuring the very initial test footage, along with a lens commentary that may be of interest to those of you who love classic lens discussions...

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions