Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @jasonp be careful in your assumptions. I'll see your brag and "mega TV" with BAFTA and Oscar wins and nominations. Maybe you and your words have appeared in top tier industry magazines like American Cinematographer. Maybe not. Mine have. Books too. GFYS.

Also, you're the one mixing camera uses, not me. I could give a flying flip over any stills capability or usage.

• p.s. anyone using the word noob, probably isn't part of the industry, otherwise they would know that there are many significant professionals using these tools..anyway again, it's just sad.

Well, I was using "noob" to be facetious, but since you brought it up...

Anyone who thinks that EVERYONE in the industry magically knows what they are doing and is infallible... must not be in the industry.

It doesn't matter how many "significant" pros are using what... not everything (and not all people) are measured on an absolute objective level. That was the whole point of my other posts. You have to judge things for yourself.

If you're a pro you should understand that there are other significant reasons one would would use Canons.

Any they are? What? What exactly do pros understand about Canon DSLRs that makes them special?

If you're such a pro, you wouldn't be talking like this, I can bring you my IMDB credits of movies having won Palm d'or, can you :-)

Who cares? You could be Tarintino himself trolling message boards and I'll still tell you the same thing. Does being a "pro" mean you have to adhere to certain ideas?

• @bwhitz

Please, keep on topic.

• Ok, I took some stuff out...

• @LongJohnSilver --- Now that's interesting, that UW housing looks sweet.

I appear to acquired a collection of cameras over the last 3 years, including the BMCC, 5D3 and GH2 (and a bunch of others).

Since the 5D3 raw arrived my BMCC has barely left its flightcase. For me, its the lens incompatibilities that keep the BMCC in the box. In particular I wish the EF85f1.2 would work.

Perhaps I should see if there is some new firmware ....

• @andyharries I rented a BMCC EF with three lenses, one of which was the 85mm. It was very frustrating that it simply wouldn't focus -- which made my decision to buy the MFT version so much easier. Manual focus with Nikon lenses all the way, baby. (Although I've also been happily using the SLR Magic and Voigtlander lenses too.)

• MAybe I overread it, but is the new de-bayering process for Prores part of a new firmware update or limited to new BMCC's?

• Hurlbut with some nice skin tests etc....

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2013/08/blackmagic-cinema-camera-tests/

I bailed on the 4k , my MFT will be here probably on Mon. CANNOT wait!

• saw the cinema cam at BMD day in NYC.

It felt pretty hot. Any heat issues noticed in the field?

The focus peaking worked great, and is fixed as waveform green..

The people on the floor didn't have answers to a lot of questions. But when I asked to plug in my Zoe DVXL lanc controller or my C mount lens w/ MFT adspter they knew the answer was... NO!

They would neither confirm nor deny an active mft version might be coming. But, made it seem like a logical development.

They also screened a video shot at NAB of Grant Petty saying a lossless AND visually lossless (lossy) cinemaDNG codec would be integrated into the firmware for the 4K cam. Afterwards it may be applied to the CC & PC. Not really anything concrete, but, I thought it was good to hear from GP himself, his ideas.

• @CFreak I did a 10 day shoot with the BMCC last week, in temperatures above 35 degrees Celsius and for most of the day, the camera was too hot to touch, but it just kept going with no sign of instability.

• Just got the MFT BMCC last night, I tried to use the 14-140mm from panasonic on it, i guess it wont work>? its out of focus on all range of zoom,manual focus did not change anything

• @sammy lenses that require electronic controls will not work with this camera. So most panasonic and oylmpus glass won't work. Try stuff from Vöightlander or SLR Magic. You can also adapt a wide variety of classic glass.

You can probably sell your lens for $400-$600.

• Oh good god! Really?......Really? Yes this will sound harsh but how did you buy this camera and not know that? I just don't get it. Did someone tell you to buy it? I researched this camera for a year before I boitught it and I still don't know what I'm doing with it. I'm hiring kholi to show me how to work with it actually. Did you do any research about this camera? I think you might be in over your head here man.

• @vicharris

Less emotions, please :-) Not everyone understand that if you turn focus rings on m43 lenses all it is doing is transmitting signal to controller and to camera and it adjusts focus :-)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev You really don't think a little emotion is valid when someone is investing in this camera with thousands of dollars and this non active mft mount thing has been described over and over and over and over again in every forum, on every website, in every interview for every BM camera out there? :-) Come on, just a little? I'm doing better though! ;-)

• BTW, Just got the Rokinon 16mm F2 in and will use it next week for a shoot. Hopefully it will perform better than the Tokina 11-16 that some people are reporting problems with.

• @vicharris @all Any first impressions with the BMCC or are you still ramping up on learning everything? I'm happy with my GH2 for the film I'm doing now, but a possible film I may do in 6 months requires more precise and controlled images, and I thought the BMCC might be able to do that given the better DR and 2.5K. Price cut to $1995 is pretty sweet. (I think I've seen crop calculated to be 2.3, and wondered if that's what it turned out to actually be once you slapped the lenses on.) Tempting at $1995. By time I get to that other film, maybe price will drop again hopefully! Curious how my Lomo 50mm and 28mm lenses will play with it.

• @matt_gh2 Well to be honest, some banding/ rolling noise lines have popped up on me. Saw it in some test ProRes stuff I shot last night. I can't get it to appear in RAW yet and I know there's been problems with this in the past but thought they had it worked out. Faulty sensor stuff. It's really bad in all underexposed areas in Prores down to 400asa where it disappears but I am doing a lens cap test so it's all underexposed the same. I'm going to get with Kholi about it and see if it's normal. If so, I'd say ProRes in tough lighting situations might be a no go but why wouldn't one shoot RAW in tough lighting conditions anyway? Right? Don't get me wrong, I love what you can do to the image in post even in ProRes but to be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing right now with this camera compared to many other talented people on this board :) So take everything I saw with a grain of salt, or just ignore me completely! One thing I've found out is non of my baseplates/risers work with it. They are all rest the camera too high for my mattebox. There's another $300 :)

• @vicharris Yeah, I kinda figured RAW is the way to go. With relatively cheap memory and quick computers these days, I always like to max out with image quality. I figured we'd be looking at some extras when it comes to rigs/accessories. Best of luck with mastering the cam, I'm sure you'll have it down in no time.

• UK distributor has/will be receiving free stock of the MFT version so anybody looking for one should order from one of the distributors asap. I have via 3d broadcast and apparently it may arrive tomorrow xD

• @vicharris Link to industry standard lens height template: http://www.ocon.com/inspiration/labs/rod-standards-explained/

How does it measure up on this chart...? Is the optical center greater than 85mm on the BMCC mft version? That would suck...!

• @CFreak Huh?

That isn't the problem. I actually need to go lower. All of my risers are too high. If you look at the BMCC baseplates, they are pretty low profile since the mount is so much higher than GH2s. No concern. I just don't have the right gear.

• I got my MFT version on Friday. I tested on Saturday for a bit and played around (as best as I could) with the results in post. @matt_gh2 - I don't think the crop is all that bad. I have a Sigma 10-20 f3.5 and I think it's a great lens for the cam.

Here's a frame from my first shot on Saturday... The roof trim is a little blown, but it was my first try with Raw. This is the graded version. It's amazing what you can retrieve as the sky was pretty hot, if it were a DSLR shot, there would have been no detail in clouds etc or blue, for that matter...

Graded.jpg
    2400 x 1350 - 1M
  • This was around 10-11MM on my Sigma- Again, graded Raw...

Wide Beach.jpg
    2400 x 1350 - 1M