Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
New production overview video
  • I just finished shooting and this is a rough cut of the work I've been doing on and off at the company I work for. I am actually their network/sys admin but I do some marking stuff on the side. It's shot with a hacked Lumix GH2 and edited in premier/ae cs6. We used to have an outside company do our video but do to the affordability of good video cameras we are experimenting just doing it in house.

I am working with limited equipment and time so there are some less than perfect (shaky) shots. If you have any ideas on affordable gear or just shooting/editing advice that would improve things let me know!

Oh and yes I do know that Vimeo has a commercial (Pro) subscription for commercial projects. I am in the process of getting the purchase approved. Mainly just using it as a test bed right now.

Thanks, Clark

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Lovely images.

Difficult to comment on the actual editing without knowing who the audience is. If it's for internal training purposes then obviously a suitable voice-over would be good, highlighting safety, production processes, or whatever else you are trying to illustrate.

If this is for potential customers, to go on a website for example, then I would suggest adding some voiceovers from customers. Make sure the voices are definitely NOT people who work in the actual business, as that's just cheesy and predictable. Get clients (B2B clients or end-users) who are able to say what they value about your product, the way it's specified / costed / made / delivered. Get several different ones and you'll have different voices. Possibly get them to watch the film and just record their comments as they watch, then edit them all in at suitable points.

As a customer I'd find that really compelling because I'd be listening to people like me, and it would be so different from the usual video sales-pitch.

The one exception to what I said about internal use, is if it's for customer service training, because that can also be really powerful if you just hear client voices. It's such a nice combination to see "behind the scenes" but to hear from end-users and it challenges people within the business to think beyond their own immediate role.

Personally I'd drop the music.

• We manufacture nut harvesting equipment for customers world wide. Our website is goflory.com and that will be the primary use but it will also be playing on a loop at events like farm shows.

That is a good idea about the voice over from customers. I've also thought about putting in little pop up graphics explaining either the piece of equipment being shown or what the part being made is going to.

The purpose of this video is primarily to show our customers the scale of our production here.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the music either, it most likely wont make the final cut.

Thanks a lot for your input!