Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 at iso 12800
  • I'm new to all this, but I'm a quick learner. I'm seeing large blue and smaller darker band when at iso 12800. Also the noise seems a lot more than normal for this camera. You guy's know your stuff, is this all normal or do I have a faulty GH2?

CLUSTER v6 'Nebular' Kit lens 14-42mm f3.5 1/50 iso12800 Smooth -2 on all.
    I.Dynamic/I resolution off.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • The higher the ISO, the more noise you will have. at ISO 12500 you will have lots of noise.

• And those bands at very high ISO are typical for the GH2, many others have them as well.

• Generally you shouldn't be going over 1600 iso. I tend to even stay bellow 1000iso

• You took a video virtually in the dark with a kit lens, and I find it pretty good even with the noise. Is there another camera you know that can do better?

• Thank you for your replies. So it's OK and normal to see those bands at iso 12800. I will no doubt take on x_worpig_x advice and stay below 1000 iso.

• I think that that is quite good for iso 12800! Unusable, but as a test it shows gh2 performing quite well.

• @ShineHunter In my testing of Flow Motion v2, I saw considerably more noise at ISO 12800 than at 6400 and below. I'd say that ISO 1600-6400 are quite usable for low-light footage you intend to clean up with something like Neat Video. ISO 12800 I'd reserve strictly for B&W night vision.

• @ShineHunter , that is quite good quality. To get usable footage use lower iso and some good lenses at least with 1.4 aperture ... My self I always uncheck the ISO limiting option on PTools, as I never will use it. At 12800 I think the GH2 performs pretty well.