Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f/0.95 Voigtländer Nokton
  • 308 Replies sorted by
  • @jimtreats this is most likely a tolerance to account for expansion/contraction due to the temperature.
  • @atticusd, If you a talking about the "red dot" used to line up lens with the one on body when changing lenses, it appears to me to be one piece construction between there and focusing ring. There seems to be a slight bit of play in all the lenses after mounting and I have always considered that normal. Perhaps a tolerance for the lumix contact points? There have been times I have gotten the warning that lens was not attached and all I did was jiggle the lens with the body and that solved the problem.
  • The Nokton lens changes barrel length. Nokton gotta produce lenses like Samyang. 1.4 primes at cheaper price. Fixed length barrel.
  • I want to know how this lens compares to the Panasonic Leica 25mm/F1.4 Micro-FourThirds. I am buying one of these two next month. The PL has auto-focus and from what I see and reas, is the best Micro-FourThirds lens ever (but that is from a photography point of view). So I would like to find out how they compare for video, and also how they compare in terms of sharpness, color rendition... from what I understand, the Voigtlander is heavier but has a more robust all-metal build quality. Manual focus operation is very important to me, so I would also like to learn how well this works on both lenses. I hope one of you owns both of these beauties and can enlighten me.
  • I don't own the Leica, but I love the Nokton. Imo Manual focusing is perfect, unless you want to rack focus from 17cm to infinity : it take 1/4 of turn to go from 30cm to infinity, but add an additional 1/2 turn to go from 17cm to 30cm, which makes going from 17cm to infinity difficult. At least it's precise.
    If you like changing aperture while recording, it's not perfect as it's not stepless, and if you want to use FF, you'd have to take care of the non circular focus ring.
  • >The Nokton lens changes barrel length
    I can't see anything moving while focusing, where did you see that ?
  • @lenuisible pls notice the distance change btw the aperture n focus ring while focusing
  • I've had one for several months. While it does well with most shots, it is unparalled for closeups and portrait shots.
    I won't shoot closeup picture or video without it. Not only do you get a great low light video lens, you get a photo portrait lens that makes people look amazing.

Focusing with it at 0.95-1.2 is an experience. It can be quite difficult since the focus plane is razor thin. Like one hair is in focus the next isn't. But beautiful dreamy look when ths subject is just slightly out of focus. I think this is why some people report the lens is soft. It isn't. It's just that it's easy to get part of the subject out of focus.
  • >pls notice the distance change btw the aperture n focus ring while focusing
    right, I didn't look at the right place
    >you get a photo portrait lens that makes people look amazing.
    right also
  • Just bought 25mm Nokton off ebay for 943 Canadian. Can't wait to get it! Anyone know if Driftwood's settings work well with this lens?
  • check out this webpage for comparisons between nokton and the new panasonic Summilux 25mm

http://www.hybridcams.fr/2011/08/31/comparaison-panasonic-25mm-f1-4-vs-nokton-25mm-f0-95/

summilux seems to handle OOF highlights better, but the Nok has more character.
    My own conclusion: if you are into narrative filmmaking like me, own a Nok. if you do docus, and street journalism, Summilux is better(the AF will save alot of heartache)
  • @kazuo
    does Summilux 25mm f/1.4 have OIS ?
  • I tried to order the PL 25mm 1.4. But Panasonic Shop is giving me too much heartburn. They screwed my order twice this week. I can no longer order from their site until the 1st day of next year. WTF...

While I was waiting, I learned more about the PL 25mm 1.4. Its AF speed is only slightly faster than 20mm 1.7. They might use the same type of slow motor. Not as silent as "HD" ready m43 lenses. AFC does focus hunting.

I ordered Nokton 25mm 0.95 on ebay at $999.
  • Stonebat
    Congrats on your purchase as the Nokton is awesome.
    But...
    AF speed on the PL25mm f1.4?...and the focus motor?...its pretty silent.
    Its silent and pretty fast.Way more than the 20mm!
    Does hunt though (with that same kind of breathing the 20mm f1.7 suffers from)
    But anyway glad you getting the superior lens finally!
  • Thanks @mimirsan. You own PL 25. If you say so, I will buy into your words.

14-42 X changed my lens lineup. It's a pancake with OIS and zooming. It made me to sell 14mm, 20mm, 14-45. Frankly I was expecting more video friendly features from PL 24mm. But who knows? I might be holding the Leica lens on my right hand next year. You know, "do not let your left hand know what your right hand does clicking the red order button."

Spending will continue...
  • @stonebat
    Used to own it...After a while of using i decided...Nokton all the way for me!
    I just prefer nicer build to go with the great optics.
    Problem I still have with modern lenses is the plastic obsession....even damn mounts are plastic on some lately!
    They cant say its extra cost to make or adds weight...if sony can do it with their standard crappy Nex e-mounts (including Sony themselves with some a-mounts) why cant others?

If your paying a lot of cash for a lens/cameras it should be built for war! haha
  • @stonebat
    Way to go, you won't regret the 0.95
  • +1
    But I doubt you will sell it anytime soon (unlike most of you lenses apparently)
  • Good resale value is important for me. :)

The CV 25mm price had jumped from $900 to $1250. Then it came down under $1K. The price could go down more, but I ordered it cuz I can afford it at the current price. If it had been $1500 or more, it would have been a different story. I like Lumix and PL lenses, but they tend to lose values... quickly. Resale value of "modern" manual focus lenses are likely to go up as the raw material cost and the labor cost go up. You know Leica will raise the price of M lenses again. M43 system is gaining more popularity where Nokton production is being limited.

Frankly I won't say I will never sell the lens. Of course I will sell it one day. Until then, I will shoot more video with it for free... or at profit. This is like I walk into a restaurant, eat a scrumptious meal, and get paid. Hehe.
  • @stonebat
    For that matter, you should also be looking at M42 lenses. As M4/3 continues to gain popularity, and with the advent of NEX 7, I foresee the value of MF lenses rising. One thing I have observed about prime lenses is that they are recession proof. Very few things in this world can lay claim to that. Just look at the recent pries for C/Y Zeiss, and now CZ Jena lenses. I just collected a series of C/Ys and Flektogons, and I managed to find very minty copies but I paid a premium for each of them. Back in 2009, some of these very good copies were going for paltry US$150, cos everyone was trying to embrace AF. A minty C/Y 85mm now is going for as much as US$700 would you believe it?

• @kazuo I'm not a big fan of vintage lenses anymore. I own 6 vintage lenses. They are going to ebay as I find better modern alternatives. e.g. Samyang.

CV 25mm lens... Those resellers prolly make very little or no profit under $1K price including shipping. This is good time to get this lens.
  • Hey guys, after playing with a buddy's Nokton this weekend, I realized MY Nokton has a couple millimeters of play where it mounts. Doesn't appear to affect the image, but now it's just going to annoy me! Think the warranty covers that kind of defect?
  • Your buddy's had no play at all?
  • Nope. Tight as can be.