Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon EOS M and M2 Mirroless topic
  • 134 Replies sorted by
  • LoL. Was that touch AF or MF? So freaking slow.

• @stonebat

Anyway, it has Mic input that Panasonic somehow like to ignore in similar offers.

• @stonebat

how does flange focal distance change corner sharpness? Regardless of the FFD of the camera, a lens is designed to be a very specific distance from the camera. A lens will resolve just as much in the corners on a m4/3 camera as it does on any other.

Unless I am SEVERELY mistaken, flange focal distance has no effect on corner sharpness whatsoever. On the contrary, the shorter the FFD, the wider variety of lenses you can adapt to it (i.e. you can adapt any lens with a longer FFD).

• @B3Guy

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/forums/thread10103.htm#post114447

It's optical characteristic. The shorter the flange focal distance, the steeper angle the light hitting on sensor edges. It worsens corner image quality.

But when using EF adapter on it, such image degradation won't happen.

• you can't put an EF lens straight on front, that won't work.

• I was talking about EOS-M lens. 22mm f/2.

EF/EF-S lens would need an adapter.

• London, UK, 23 July 2012 – Canon today expands its award-winning EOS range with the launch of the new EOS M. The company’s first ever compact system camera (CSC), the EOS M is designed for those who use photography to share their everyday passions – from food, to fashion and culture, music and art. Offering DSLR-quality imaging, creative features and Full HD movie creation in a compact and easy-to-use model, the EOS M is the perfect, take-anywhere partner for a new breed of enthusiasts who chronicle their lives through images, without necessarily considering themselves to be ‘photographers’.

The EOS M is available in sleek black, glossy white, stylish silver or bold red colours, and condenses Canon’s renowned EOS imaging heritage into a stylish, compact design. The model launches alongside two new lenses, the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake and the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM standard zoom, as well as a new compact EX Speedlite – the Speedlite 90EX – providing everything you need to capture stunning images every day. For those who want to push their images even further, the EOS M can also utilise Canon’s extensive range of EF lenses with the new Mount Adapter EF-EOS M, for even more creative freedom.

The quality of a Canon DSLR

Print your favourite moments in poster-size or crop your image for maximum impact – whether shooting the atmosphere of your favourite club or the intricate stitching of the latest must-have handbag – thanks to the EOS M’s high-resolution, 18 megapixel APS-C hybrid CMOS sensor. The large sensor also allows you to artistically blur the background for beautiful portraits, or for close-ups with impact.

With the inclusion of Canon’s DIGIC 5 processor, colours ‘pop’ and skin tones are beautifully natural, whilst a super-fast shutter allows you to capture split-second action. The atmosphere of evening shoots and challenging night-time scenes are also easily recorded in stunning detail thanks to the EOS M’s sensitive native ISO range of 100- 12,800 (extendable to 25,600).

For pin-sharp shots and professional-looking footage, this new design features a Hybrid AF System that supports super-fast, accurate AF when shooting stills and movies – allowing you to record any moment with confidence.

Shoot what you see and easily express your creative vision Every aspect of the EOS M has been designed to make it simple to capture beautiful, creative, high-quality images. From the very first swipe across the bright, high- resolution, 7.7cm (3.0”), Clear View LCD II Touch screen, the EOS M gives you as much or as little control over your photos as desired. Simply select different shooting modes and settings via the on-screen icons, or let Scene Intelligent Auto adjust the camera settings according to the subject and shooting conditions, leaving you free to focus on composition and selecting the perfect moment to hit the shutter release button.

EOS M users can shoot with the confidence that comes from having the world’s most comprehensive photographic system behind them. Whether you want to capture every detail of a close-up or zoom in to frame a subject in the far distance, any one of Canon’s extensive range of EF lenses can be connected via the new

Mount Adapter EF-EOS M for photographic flexibility.

With one of Canon’s Speedlite flash units, you can also explore creative lighting techniques to add an extra level of interest to your shots. Alternatively, create unique images with a range of Creative Filters like Toy Camera effect, Grainy B&W or even a filter that mimics the distortion of a fish-eye lens. The filters can be applied before the shot is captured, with the result previewed in Live View, allowing you to experiment with different effects before selecting the perfect treatment for your final image.

Turn film-maker with EOS Movie and Video Snapshot

When a moment calls for more than a still image, the EOS M lets you switch easily to Full HD video with stereo sound for superb results. Video Snapshot mode also helps family and friends avoid long home movie viewing sessions, guiding you to create exciting movies in-camera, with a professionally edited feel.

Extending the EOS System with dedicated accessories

In addition to compatibility with Canon’s existing EF lenses1, accessories and Speedlites, the EOS M launches with its own bespoke range of compact accessories. Two new EF-M lenses offer portability and high performance when using the new model – the EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM standard zoom and the

EF-M 22mm f/2 STM pancake lens. Both feature new Stepper Motor technology for exceptionally smooth AF performance, as well as precision Canon optics, while their compact designs offer the perfect form-factor to complement the camera’s pocket-sized body.

Additionally, the EOS M will ship with the new Speedlite 90EX flash unit as standard. Lightweight and highly-compact, it offers a maximum guide number of nine and supports wide-angle lenses, making it an ideal general-purpose flash for everyday use. A wireless master function also allows the control of multiple flash guns wirelessly, allowing more advanced users to experiment with a range of creative lighting effects.

• Also check updated first post from time to time.

• Aspiring people, or DSLR shooters thar dont want such BIG camera for their usually not that extenuating shooting day that can have movie option for free, but it is not most important feature, for them :)

Canon will make their customers, and new aspiring ones ( remember also, every year we have a new generation of people) buy a camera, and for others, again. Canon is also getting a better model later for shure. Then we can see what we are talking about. But they will not for all matters make a DSLR killer model, too big to autocanibalize. Not for a 3 year period i asume. ( maybe a 60D killer, maybe, on next year )

Also If canon continue this way of presentig the new models, they will find a market tha suits the nees of this particular camera. Yes, they are competing with 5 more mirrorless brands but, canon has already earn a big chunk of people that are willing to try their so trustets products. This is a way to low down the weith to its DSLR cos they where good, but to chunky ( for example ive seen small amateur female photographers having quiet the some trouble with 60D or 7D, lenses, tripod, and bag) Some friends that like foto but dont like the bulkines when sooting on ninja mode on street. This option have the same quality, are smaller, and can have lenses changed too

I personally dont like this camera, its plastiky and the lack of bottons are not a good option for my actual needs, but, years back when i was 19 i bought my first point and shot camera. I would rader buy this investing a littel bit more and beliving that i was more near a pro fotographer for less price, imagine! lol. Also if i had never bought a camera and saw mirrorles as a system and a future invesment, i would considered as a cheaper option. Only from brand asosiation.

This will only boost sales for all mirrorless brands. Finally canon boys would compare cameras and understand the benefits of mirrorless, also the powe of the GH2 and family. They wil compare from now on, and thats why canon was the last fucker to jumpt inside the wagon. Was not a good business for thir DSLR. Now they accept and will slowly transition to this new system for the mayority of their middle range, canon line.

• I kinda like the camera...maybe we may get a magic lantern for it? :-D

There will be the usual moaners (its video has moire and alaising wah wah wahhh!) failing to see it as a stills camera and treat it (as most cameras nowadays) as a "filmmaking tool"

Anyway it'll probably sell bucket loads as its a Canon.

Panasonic...your move...

• Canon tries mirrorless.

Feels cold.

• @Mimirsan It will be interesting how Canon FD would perform on EOS-M.

• 18mm flange focal distance. Haha. I'm not so optimistic about EOS-M native lenses. But adapted lenses like Canon FD seem like a good bet.

• Hold on to your FDs! Their prices are soon going to rise...

• All you need is a cheap FD 50mm :)

• Canon EOS-M 22mm 2.0
    • Samyang 35mm 1.4
    • Canon FD 50mm 1.4
    • Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

Also Nokton 17.5mm and 25mm lenses on EOS-M at 2.39:1 ratio (cropping from editor) might have acceptable vignetting. I wish someone tests this...

• Ordinarily, the flange difference would be I think a pretty big issue. After all, the Nex cameras have crappy corner sharpness. However, I'm willing to give Canon the benefit of the doubt for two reasons. The first is, that they are very late to the game, so they have had a chance to study the other models. The second is that this sensor is really not bigger than the multi-spec Panasonic sensor. The Panny is slightly larger than M43, and the Canon is slightly smaller than APS-C, at least from what I have read so far. Canon obviously has realized that they have to be a player in this market, and this may be their "toe-hold" cam. The next model may be a serious contender, or they may just try to occupy the low end. The real question now is whether they can crank out lenses as good as the m4/3 primes. If they can't, then they will have a cred issue with the pros and with the unbiased testing sites. I would be pleasantly surprised if the cam world were suddenly populated super high res canon pancake primes.

• Anyone found M43-to-EOSM adapter?

I'm pretty sure at least one of my Canon friends will buy it.

• Interesting. Live HDMI out and Full Manual Control just like 650d.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/canon/announcements/canons-first-mirrorless-camera-eos-m

Featuring the ability to record full HD movies in 1080p, the EOS M can record well-rendered video in great detail to an SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, or through the video out and two mini-HDMI out ports. These HDMI ports also allow you to easily display your photos and videos directly onto an HDTV in real-time. When recording you have the option to choose from a variety of resolutions and frame rates, including 1920 x 1080 at 30, 25, or 24fps. Continuous shooting can last up to 44 minutes on a 16 GB memory card, and half that with an 8 GB card. Full manual control over exposure settings and focus is also supported, providing you with the ability to more easily dictate focus and creative exposure techniques.
  • Why the Hell does it have two mini HDMI ports? Is one a clean output? That could be interesting if so - otherwise...uh? what?

• http://kenrockwell.com/canon/eos-m/m.htm

The Canon EOS M is the world's first serious mirrorless camera.

Hahahahahahaha

• @stonebat

I really like and admire Ken. He always has his position.

• his position is very strange on this one "By "serious," I mean professional grade. Sony, Samsung, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic and other third-tier brands offer lots of mirrorless cameras, but then aren't pro grade; they are just consumer electronics products and usually only with smaller 4/3 sensors (or smaller) and/or lens mounts often with few advanced lenses available."

I'd hardly call the EOS M presented thus far as more professional than the likes of the NEX-7, E-M5, X1 Pro, it doesn't even have physical controls. And someone should tell him the Sony, Fuji and Samsung have larger sensors than the Canon (1.5 versus 1.6).

Oh well, AF in video should be good with the EOS M, seems the still video AF is pretty slow however.