Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood , big thank you for the Cluster v5, this is going to stay on my GH2 :-)

• @Sangye very nice footage and +1 on Driftwood's comment

@driftwood Isis is thinking..... "should I chase the one on the right or the left hmmm.... let's see which is easier :)". btw, thank you for all your contributions!

• Anyone try Cluster v5 on GF2 or GF3, I have both bodies and would be more than willing to try it on them if someone has not.. I'll be putting Cluster v5 on my personal GH2

Also, I have been shooting on cluster v4 at work on the GH2s, but I'm in the middle of a project right now and will wait till that is finished till I upgrade those. But very very happy with Cluster v4 on the GH2s at work, superb quality and flawless long shoot performance!

• @Ebacherville , i will be testing Cluster v5 on GF2 also, but i doubt it has support for this great matrix ...

• @driftwood First of all thank you very much for developing long gop patch as is cluster. I really like it. short test of Cluster 5 Pal 25p test, no CC and with CC - actually Im learning CC now, so criticism more when welcome.

not nice feedbacks: 1. 25p does not span on sandisk 30mbs 2. 25p Stop recording "motion..speed... error"-ones 3. 720p50 freeze image after few minutes of recording, battery out- 1.5gb size

thanks again

• Just patched my GF2 with Cluster v5 ... it's amazing for low light too :-)

P1000004.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 330K
    P1000005.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 214K
  • @konjow Can you send me the stop recording mts? I wanna see this. Cheers mate. :-) Also please report that you definitely stayed within the confines of 25/50/100 shutter speed. This is important. So many new users reporting lately. Keep reporting any errors until we get this totally perfect.

• @thepalalias I understand that -2 is an adjustment within the appearance settings, but which ones are most common to set down -2? Surely not sharpness, right? And what are the reasons? Does the GH2, set a 0-across, make the video look bad by applying effects like noise reduction?

• Yes, it does.

Even at -2 sharpening is not completely off (at least with Panny lenses). Don't think that -2 is anything like anti-sharpening ;-)

The only value you should set higher than -2 is saturation, according to your taste. If your scene is very low contrast, you can up contrast a bit too. But don't use sharpness or noise reduction at all, there are better tools in post if it's needed at all.

• @driftwood Do you like to see GH2 footage "untouched" directly out of camera ...or with color correction, grading, sharpening and other post-edit enhancements? What format provides the best feedback for you to create better settings for the GH2?

For posting videos on 'Personal-View.com', what is an unacceptable video?

• @konjow Cluster v5 spans for me on a quick test without problems.

Spanning Cluster 720p50: Ive just setup my razor sharpe OM 50mm 1.2 Macro lens at f5.6 on Cluster v5 with loads of detail - not maximum- but as good as I could find at this time of night - and then proceeded to shake the fuck out of it - yet it still spanned over two files without problem (to 20 minutes before I got bored and stopped the recording). As Ive mentioned in the past, if you use strange or incorrect shutter speeds with the frame rate you are likely to suffer such problems. The 720p50 20 minute files recorded at a bitrate of 43M creating two files one at 4,192,486 (4Gb) and one spanned file 2,025,432 before I manually stopped it.

There is of course a bitrate stopping point on the GH2 where it runs out of memory fuel but its highly unlikely as its a well matched to bitrate setting. My guess is you chose an irregular shutter speed causing an upset in the odd B frames. Of course, I need to check your file.

• @MartinD If its something that has a problem I like to see it untouched and also dropboxed to me. Thanks mate.

• ok. I will test spaning again tomorrow both 25p and 50p. I will make sure shutter is 100

• If anyone wants to watch this and let me know what improvements i could make that'd be awesome.

Shot at 720p with Cluster v4 12/15 GOP settings. All edited it Premiere Pro 5.5 Any slow motion is at 36%.

Also, color correcting this was a real headache. Things seem to jump around at points...any suggestions? I used the Incandescent white balance setting with the vibrant film mode at -2 -1 -1 0. All other settings were auto and exposure mode was on P. Ive watched the color correcting entire lesson on lynda.com so no one has to completely dumb it down for me. haha=]

If anyone has any suggestions for any of the above that'd be great.

• @rajamalik thanks for the input!

• Hello guys @driftwood. Thanks for your perpetual news settings Nick. Cluster 3 is a good HBR and FSH Pal setting, very stable. Took a quick test with Cluster5, but motion of this long gop seems too much like Stock setting motion to me. In PAL mode, it seems that Pany 14-140 freeze cam with every cluster setting (flow motion too, you know) on demanding detailed wide scene and fast motion. Always past 2min of recording... There is no problem with manual lenses.

• @herbycamer Thanks for the PAL testing pal. Can you be a little bit more clearer. Are you talking 24p freezing past 2 mins or HBR/720p or ALL rec modes with Panny lenses? I'll do a comparison test of Cluster 3 v 5 on HBR/FSH PAL tomoz. Also confirm you had this problem on correct shutter ratios (25/50/100 etc... and not 30, 60, 120 etc... Good stuff, let me know.

Also messing with some new matrices for Cluster v5. Mission to pull back smooth chrominance and give it more bite.

• My tests of the latest v5. Please download to see the real quality, Vimeo is getting softer I think. Amazing patch! It DID lock up in a very specific situation with the very fastest card--pointed at complex waves in a bay the patch interpreted as really intense blue both in standard and vibrant -2 all the way. Could NOT get smooth -2 to fail w same shot. These are handheld test shots w 100-300mm lumix mostly not intended to be a demonstration of cinematic camera skills or lack thereof.

• Hi. @Driftwood. Yes Nick, i'm using only HBR 25p and FSH 50i. Shutter speed 1/50. ND Fader. Cluster 3. Sandisk 30Mb/s & 45Mb/s. Thanks

• @driftwood Thanks for excellent explanation, mate! :-)

I am working on optimizing SednaAQ1C to 3GOP now. Especially I am concentrated on the work which modifies SednaAQ1C according to 3GOP of FSH and HBR. Personally, although I think "60p is satisfactory with 6GOP", since the limit of the bit rate is low, I have adopted 9GOP recently for as large I frame use as possible. Of course, I think that longer GOP is also rational.

• here is the video from GF2,

• @bkmcwd Use any of my settings & add to your stuff. No worries.

• @driftwood Thanks always, Nick! Of course, you can also do. :-)

• In an attempt to give Cluster v5 more bite, I am releasing this test version of 'Globular' with the Sedna matrix on 24p, and Sedna I frames on HBR/1080i and 720p modes. Test away Cluster people and report back. It does pass death charts and rigourous shaking of bushes, and waterflows, etc...

If people like I'll stick it up on the front page of this thread.

Driftwood Cluster v5.1 'Globular' with Sedna matrix TEST - seta.zip
    Cluster v5.1 with Sedna - HBR30p test 14-140 Panny lens at 70mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Cluster v5.1 with Sedna - 24p test 14-140 Panny lens at 70mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Cluster v5.1 with Sedna - 720p60 test 14-140 Panny lens set at 70mm.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • Nick, you are pushing the envelope so much I am afraid unless Panasonic hires you and Vitaliy the GH3 might not be as capable.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions