Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100Mbps Fast Action Performance & Reliability for Class 10 SD cards
  • 1036 Replies sorted by
  • @karl thanks I'll give that a go. I don't really use auto but I am pretty sure I didn't adjust the colour of the sunny setting.

• I think I would have had it set to "Sunny" not auto. But it shouldn't change so badly should it. Anyone got a preferred setting for decent skin tones other than standard

• @ rsquires "But it shouldn't change so badly should it" Sorry, but i think wrong whitebalance can transform human to purple Martian. If i want real good skin tones, i allways use a greycard.

• But that dosn't change my 720p50 problem in FL2 anyway;-) And someone else's 50/60 as i read.

• @karl. Have you tried your hybrid setting with SD cards other than Sandisk extreme 95mb/s? For example Sandisk extreme 32GB 30mb/s. I am interested in a stable 720p60.

• @rawmeyn: I think neither me nor bkmcwd make use of PAL modes, so I am not quite sure it would make sense to merge only very little tested 720p50 settings with FM 2.0...

@Zaven13: The only class 10 cards I own are SanDisk 64GB 95 MB/s - so I cannot test others. But at least one user - jfro - mentioned in the GOLGOP3 thread that he had tested 720p60 with a SanDisk 30MB/s card, and it seemed to work for him.

• Hi All... I am brand new here and would first like to thank each and every one of you for all your hard work. Over the last day or two I have been reading up on the GH2 hacks. I want to try Flow Motion v2.0 but for the life of me I can't figure out how to download it. I assumed it was at the bottom of the initial post here. But all that is, is a graphic of a document. Am I missing something obvious here? Also can you point me to PTools 3.65d? I d/l 3.64 yesterday from a separate site, (that is where I found personal-view link) and tried a patch on my GH2, but it was unstable with my San Disk Extreme 45Mb/sec card.

TIA

Colin

EDIT: OK, I just found out the link is now working where I expected it to. I guess it is only live as a member here. Awesome. Now to find PTools. :)

• @karl. I just tested FM2-GOLGOP hybrid setting you created in 720p60 using Sandisk extreme 30mb and Transcend SDXC 64GB class 10 and it failed as soon as I started zooming with Panasonic 14-140mm lens. back to my Sanity-Sedna settings.

• @peternap I don't recall the error message wording. If I see it again, I'll write it down and post it, here.

@diafragma1939 I've been shooting in both 1080i and 720. Only the initial error, in 1080i, and trouble-free since. BTW, I'm using Transcend 32gb class-10 SDHC.

• @coors is there much difference between the two, I mean 1080i and 720...since there are some testers taking about 1080i not being a "real" 1080i and more like 720 up-sampled data ?

• Checked the original .mts files on my Acer Aspire One D270 with Windows starter, the "rain" is not noticeable at all with Windows Media Player. BUT: It is noticeable in Windows in my uploaded mp4 which was reencoded on a MAC for attachment.

So the error was finally baked in by Quicktime, and there is something going wrong with Quicktime on a Mac, probably in conjunction with Flowmotion?

@karl You wont´t notice the rain in a still, because the contrast of the white lines is as weak as the banding (or solarization) effect of 8 bit. But they change rapidly, from frame to frame, this is what makes them noticeable. The greenish solaraziation around the dark areas ist stronger than the "rain" but less noticeable because ist is steady. Give those 2 stills a try, but even for me it was hard to find the stripes for marking. Again, the mp4 should show the error on Mac and PC. The original files should only show the error on Mac (OS 10.6.8) The images are two following frames.

Flowmotion1rstFrame.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 717K
    Flowmotion2ndFrame.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 749K
  • Downloaded and installed. So far the couple of tests I have done look good. About to go out for a drive to take a few more tests. One thing I have noticed, and I am sure this is teh same for all hacks, if I try and play the footage back in my Panasonic Blu Ray player by inserting the card in the player, the video skips. I am assuming this is normal because of the extra data. I did a quick screen cap of some footage in VLC and the results look great. 24H iso160.

vlcsnap-2012-05-28-12h24m46s196.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @Frame: Ah, now I understand what you were talking about. I was mislead by your choice of naming them "white", as the stripes are just a tiny bit brighter than their surrounding :-)

Interesting effect. I would guess that this could be just an unfortunate choice of motion vectors by the encoder, but it's hard to tell that from a re-encoded file, which may well have made different choices. If you look at the attached output of "mplayer -lavdopts vismv=7 -noslices FlowMotion_Rain.mp4", you can see that the brighter spots seem to align with target areas of multiple motion vectors. But you would really need to look at the original .MTS file to get a useful indication.

(I used the above command line under Linux, I don't have experience with the Mac OSX versions of mplayer, there is one at http://mplayerx.org/ - I guess other ffmpeg based players also offer an option for the motion vector visualization...)

rain_visvm.jpg
    1442 x 1077 - 121K
  • @diafragna1939 IMO, that kind of question should be asked in PM or over on the "Stable GF2 Settings" thread, please. Let's keep our focus on concerns relative to the FM2 patch, here. I'll answer you over there, on the GF2 settings thread. Thanks!

• @karl Thank you very much for your evaluations! Played the original files again on my Mac - the problem seems to be Premiere Pro 6 related. In the CS6.0.1 Trial version I see the rain, but not in Quicktime 10 nor 7 VLC stutters on rapid focusing, going from blurred to sharp. The rain is unaffected by the contents of the image. Could be that fast pans/blurs cover the effect.

When I cut the following original file in MPEG Streamclip (no reencode done, just a rewrap to mov), and then played it in Quicktime 10, I could see the rain very bright in in one of the first frames. But I could not reproduce the error playing the file again in Qicktime 10 or doing looped playback. As described, the following zip should be a portion of the original file, unaltered, rewrapped but not reencoded

Flowmotion_Rain.mov.zip
    6M
  • hi guys say being very much a noob here ,where do you go for the flowmotion patch

• @setti they're usually located at the top of page 1 of the thread

• @Frame: From your .mts sample it is obvious what happenes: Your .mts file contains at least one frame that is not correctly decodable, because it references another frame that is not part of the file:

[h264 @ 0xfd6920]Missing reference picture [h264 @ 0xfd6920]decode_slice_header error [h264 @ 0xfd6920]concealing 8160 DC, 8160 AC, 8160 MV errors

Some players will either just skip such undecodable frames silently, others will try to decode "as much as possible" from the differential data, but as they use a wrong reference picture (usually just the one they decoded last) this will result in some artifacts. See attached a screen shot of only the broken frame "decoded" in such a way.

It seems that the encoder you used to render your output file was making use of such an incomplete frame, but the distortion is not as clearly visible in the output than it is in your input.

So the good news is: This is not a problem of FM 2.0. It may be, though, an odd behaviour of the software you use when it processes AVCHD files as written by FM 2.0. I have seen similar trouble with other software, too. One work-around I use for that with "kdenlive" is that I never use the first 12 or last 12 frames of a 24p recording - this seems to allow the decoder to decode a few frames before the first one that needs to become part of the output.

Of course GOP1 settings will not result in files that can cause such trouble, but I haven't found any stable-enough GOP1 setting that delivers good quality...

rain.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 139K
  • OK, I am back from taking a few more test shots. The footage when using 24H is stunning. I am using 24H Cinema with all settings -2. I did notice one thing though. Now correct me if I am mentioning something that is a known issue. Today is the first day I have tried ETC, so it could just be normal. When I play back footage without ETC on my 60" Samsung LCD TV the pictures are about as perfect as I have seen. If I play back footage taken with ETC the footage is almost unwatchable. There is a lot of red/green noise. Lots of streaking of color and it almost looks like it is shot as a gif movie. There is no gradation in colors, the resolution is shot and so is contrast and focus. Looking at the footage on my PC it looks much better. There is still more visible noise than I expected and the image is not as sharp, but it is at least watchable. Is this something others have seen? As I said I have not used ETC before today, so I don't know if it is caused by Flow Motion or not. Attached are two screen grabs. One without ETC and one with. One secondary question. Some of the files don't play smoothly in VLC. Is there a player that you guys recommend for smooth playback at these kind of bitrates? I am on a 64bit Vista machine.

vlcsnap-2012-05-28-16h23m49s17.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    vlcsnap-2012-05-28-16h26m27s230.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
  • @larch ETC gives bad results in high iso and/or underexposed shots, i think it actually doubles the noise plus other weird stuff. i works well in low iso with good light(bright daylight) also it gives less sharp images most of the time.at least this is my experience with it regardless of patches or not.

as far as the players, look in the previous pages of this thread. classic windows media player should do fine.

• @luxis Thanks for the info. I was assuming it was more to do with the GH2 than the patch, but I figured I would ask. Thanks for the pointer to classic windows media player. I will give that a shot.

• Tx.tor patch my video...Gf3 Flow motion v.2.0

• For me the movement in 1080 25p is great. Hace had to reduce to 720 before uploadeing.

• @ Movist Lovers. Since it seems that I've been responsible for few of you switching to Movist I just want to add a word of caution: Movist playbacks might suffer from the Tarkovski Rain Effect identified by @Frame. As @karl pointed out, the rain doesn't actually seem to be in the MTS footage (at least all my ProRes conversion with FCP7's L&T do not to exhibit any such effect). My conjecture is that all the players/converters based on FFmpeg as Movist is will exhibit that effect. Another conjecture can be that, on slower computers, the FFmpeg libraries, instead of forcing the players to skip frames, handle to them incomplete ones. Obviously all this would have to be verified, but the good news is that if you transcode your MTS wisely you won't be reminded of any Russian master.

• @karl Thanks a lot for your help and explanation! But how should I omit the first or last frames when importing into Premiere? Also the sample was from second 30 or later, way into the 3 min file... @rapsoe does Premiere use FFmpeg? VLC (FFmpeg?) and Quicktime do not show the effect. Got the Rain effect only once in Quicktime and could not repeat it

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions