Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
11-16mm F2.8 and T3 Cine Tokina
  • 122 Replies sorted by
  • I was getting enthusiast about this lens + speed booster but that review reports very bad performance with bright lights. Since I shoot mostly concerts and audiovisual artworks this doesn't sound too appealing: http://www.lenstip.com/379.9-Lens_review-Tokina_AT-X_116_PRO_DX_II_AF_11-16_mm_f_2.8_Ghosting_and_flares.html

• I just posted an edge to edge sharpness test with this lens, the Rokinon 16mm and just for the hell of it, the SLR12mm lens in the Rokinon/Samyang 16mm thread.

• Wow, that is an expensive piece of glass.

• @DrDave

Especially when it doesn't really improve the focus throw or actually anything at all. I grilled Tokina at CineGear a year ago and the reps couldn't answer why I should pay $1300 more for this lens? All they could give me was gears and the T stop ratings. If you can read scopes, the T stop markings don't justify $1300.

The manual focus ring is very smooth with no play and it has a relatively wide range of adjustment for an ultra-wide angle lens. Video shooters will also appreciate the lack of focus breathing – the subject framing does not change with focus adjustment.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tokina-11-16mm-f-2.8-AT-X-Pro-DX-II-Lens.aspx

v38.jpg
    650 x 434 - 117K

11mm

16mm

Those deeply into digital video work will really appreciate the performance and handling of this lens. It produces sharp, contrasty images with relatively low distortion and falloff.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/tokina-at-x-11-16mm-t3-cine-lens-review-25723

v122.jpg
    800 x 534 - 159K
    v123.jpg
    661 x 462 - 52K
    v124.jpg
    651 x 467 - 52K
  • The cine version also isn't available for Nikon F mount :-/

Apparently the focus throw is much longer (at least double), I wonder if when the photographers' version gets updated if the focus throw will get to be longer too?

Anyway, doubt if you'll be doing too many focus pulls on an UWA, so probably not worth all that extra cash for most people.

• (thanks VK) I have the DX and just bought the DX II. On that, the focus ring frequently gets stuck when I pull it to MF, and locks the mechanism. Happens about 1/8 times. It basically doesn't pull all the way down in one place, and then the AF motor isn't disengaged, if you turn it you fight against it.

I returned it, but the replacment is the same. It never happens on my DX, are you guys seeing this on your DX IIs?

• Tokina says they must be from a bad batch, both are Japanese imports. Anyone else seeing it?

• What is the best version of this optical ?, among many versions for Canon, Nikon, Sony and updates... Im very lost..

Or with any option I get that look so fabulous that occurs in the GH's?

Thanks.

• @Manu4Vendetta

They are same. Usually people get Nikon one. About DX and DX II, just read this topic and links.

• Optically they're all the same between mounts. The only (small) difference is between the two generations of the lens. Just get whichever mount will work best with a speedbooster and any other lenses you have (if any). If you're starting from scratch, the Nikon mount is the most adaptable, and the Nikon booster is more affordable than the EF booster.

• I had a look at that Lenstip review, and they missed the flare changes on the DX vs DX II. I have a DX and briefly had the DX II (both Nikon):

While the flare shapes/reflections are pretty similar (and of similar strength), the big difference (at least on my samples) was that the DX smears light all over the frame when flaring, causing a dreamy low-contrast look. It's actually quite nice, retro - if you like that.

The DX II doesn't do that - so you still get the flare shapes, but without washing the entire image out. It preserves much more contrast, and so looks more modern/clinical.

Looking at the front of the lenses, the difference is obvious - (my) DX has a large gray ring somewhere in the middle of the lens assembly. I suspect this is where the light reflects and spreads out. On the DX II that ring isn't there, it's completely blacked out. They may have achieved that just by painting the edges of some lens element(s) black, and/or some part of the internal housing.

So if my samples are representative, that's your choice.

• Here's a pic of my DX - see that grey ring? That's black on the DX II.

dx.jpg
    480 x 462 - 55K
  • I checked a few Ebay auctions, and none of the DX's there have that grey ring! So they probably changed this at some point during the DX runs. Or mine is a one-off!

Anybody wanna buy mine, or swap? I actually like the dreamieness, but I shoot 3D and both lenses have to match. Or if yours is like mine, wanna sell?

EDIT: actually there are some with grey rings and some without, so they obviously did change this at some point. My pic was massively overexposed, in real life it looks like this:

dx_b.jpg
    313 x 306 - 22K
  • Quite strange new version - AT-X PRO 11-16 mm f/2,8 DX V (just focus ring for FF added)

sales23.jpg
    595 x 585 - 47K