Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood VY Canis Majoris: This thread will now be integrated into 'Driftwood Series 6 Settings'
  • 901 Replies sorted by
  • Zoo trip with Canis Majoris Day and my canon 100-300mm FD zoom lens. Still getting used to the lens. Shot at 720 60p and mostly shot at 1/125 shutter speed ISO 640 between f5.6 an f11. For the record I am not a fan of caging animals, especially Elephants. apes, and big cats, but the misses wanted to go, and I realized it would be a great chance to test the Canis Day, and the new lens.

• @everyone

Please HELP (again :): Sandisk 64GB SDXC 95mbs records my clips with Sedna AQ1. FCPX no (=saccaded)! 5DtoRGB not too (saccaded too)!

What's going on?

THANK YOU

• @From_Paris I am sorry, I thought I responded earlier. I must have had a bad connection when I hit send.

Anyway, if you can post one of the MTS files that does not work (if it is smaller than 300MB you can use SendSpace.com) then someone may have time to try to open it and see what is wrong with it. Good luck!

• @gokuan003

about 720 60 patches that work- I used to test a lot of these but my life is like living in a grenade testing field at the moment. Haven't tested since the Orion series.

My tests were with panasonic lenses zooming and panning in changing light to make it as hard as possible. Anyway, you can read some of the findings on this page with my posts.

I think Orion 4 was the only stable 720p60 I found up to that point in all the drifwood high bitrate patches.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/43843#Comment_43843

• I tested Orion 4d v3, with 720p mode but of course it did not work. I had to do something he should not, I should try following the advice of parameters and why not with 4b Orion ... I will also test Sanity soon. Thank you for your reply :)

• but hey it true that I use Voigtlander Nokton 0.95, only, maybe that plays a lot! made on that it does not work :/

• @gokuan003 Definitely try Orion4b, I also had problems with 4d, Patches of recent that worked best with 720 60p for me in this order (best I can remember) are

1) Orion 4b 2) Rocket (not sure if it was V2 or V3 or maybe both worked quite well) 3) Canis Majoris.

Rocket is a bit of a stretch for my short term memory, but I am pretty sure this worked really nicely (mmmaaaybe) har har. give it a go if Orion 4b doesn't fix the problems.

• @thepalalias hai I couldn't patch my cameras,... All batteries are 100% tried almost 3 times loaded CM night in a formatted card,...tried powering it using a coupler too,...no use ,..when I press play it shows no picture message,..any idea???

• @rajamalik to be sure: card has to be formatted in camera not in computer.

• @peaceonearth I formatted it 3 times in my camera after every time it rejected to patch,..it's not detecting my patch,..

• I am using windows xp laptop..,.i am in woods can't go home to set this in win 7 pc,...

• @rajamalik you mean coupler = AC adapter? You are warned in the manual to use one during FW update! Does the card work for recording and playback?

You could try 3 things: 1)redo your FW update and try again. 2)copy another .bin who worked before on this card and try FW update again. 3)Take another card and try it again with CM night.

• Yep card works superb no problem at all

• Yep it worked with my old card

• Loaded CM night but I would like to try CM night in aq1 as well....anyone has a aq1 patch of CM Night???

• @rajamaklik as peaceonearth said, you run a serious risk of bricking your camera using the AC adapter. However I have a different way slightly of doing things. I connect my camera to the PC and then format the card in the camera with the PC. I just do a regular format (ie do not do a low level), and then I remove the three folders from the card which are there after formatting. Then drag the patch onto the card and all is well. Doing it this way with some cards I do not get the "this card is not formatted for this camera" message, but if I press play I still get the Version up message and most importantly, it works.

• yeah it was orion 4b that worked 720 60. Note that many 720 60 patches worked with manual lens. It was the panasonics with their af, stabilization that were problematic. That was the point. To get close to a worst possible real world case and if that worked chances are it would most of the time.

To narrow it down further I used the 95mb sec 32gb sandisks. If the patch was going to write error it would pretty much always do so within a few seconds. Also 720p 50 was usually pretty solid on most.

• @thepalalias

With VLC too = impossible to read the clip! So I reinstall the old firmware 1.0 again to be sure to have a correctly picture today. I didn't keep clips with Sedna, Orion or Mysteron. I can just tell you that the problem was always the same. I am desperate.

• full sedna short

• @klem007 wow! I told you before that I already liked your preview. My compliments for great directing and great shots. I wondered how you managed the accident. Well done! Great! (I don't have the heart to ask whether it's banding in the gras in the opening scene?)

• @peaceonearth the accident was just pushing the boy and the bike on a skateboard. Added some dust and sparks for extra effect. About the banding, don't really know what banding is , though i had some aliasing in that first shot, its all 25p so maybe thats the problem (: also its compressed to 15mbits/s since i don't have vimeo pro (: Thanks for the kind words! Hope i'll pass my first year in filmschool (:

• @cinemon Great F...in job Cinemon really nicely done. Did you use any kind of cinematic grain? What NLE did you edit from? Coloring is well done... great work.

• @klem007 like what I'm seeing keep it up..

• Very nice Klem007, the dust on his leathers after the accident is very believable too. This coming from a guy that started riding on dirt at 4 or 5 years old ;)

• OK, I've posted about this before in the Sedna thread, and never got any answers. Hoping this goes differently. In not a single one of these settings, can I pull an HSL secondary grading key. Especially on higher IRE materials. Keying something and showing they key matte just reveals the gigantic compression blocks outling everything. By the time I make the key loose enough to encompass all the macroblocks, it's keying the entire image. In a completely flat sky around 90 IRE, setting a key extremely loose, you can see that one giant block will be picked up fine, then a patch of the sky directly next to it, that should be the exact same luma and chroma values, is not picked up at all, by this extremely liberal key.

Check the screenshot, and look how wide the key is. I've never set a key that wide for a sky, let alone on an overcast day like this. I've also never had an HSL key matte show actual compression blocks. I've had it reveal noise, but never giant compression blocks. Not even in 25mbps material. But as you can see, it's just pulling out blocks. By the time I widen the key enough to pick up the whole sky, around the edges of the tree, etc, the road and everything else is picked up as at that point the key has to be set to pull almost any luma value.

I had this problem with sedna, it was much worse with mysteron, and at 176mbps, I thought it would be gone, but this is CM skintone soft, at 24h, ntsc gh2, and here it is

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6563/desktop2012051400280533.jpg

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions