Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lenses for 2.35:1 "cropping"
  • 34 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat I do have an anamorphic lens, but it would be nice to inter-cut footage that is cropped from a non anamorphic lens, and maybe match the look through the addition of... just not sure what yet? :o)

• That would work fine. I'm talking about outdoor shots.

See the attachment. It was shot with 50mm focal length lens + 1.75x anamorphic lens. Notice how the cars are lined up in the street. 50mm focal length is equivelant to the human eye in terms of z-axis distortion.

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 6.51.54 PM.png
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
  • Not having anamorphic lens isn't the end of the world though.

Those phone cameras have inherently short focal length. The z-axis distortion makes background object looking further away. But it's just fine. Let it be.

• I don't know about you guy but after using anamorphic, I can't shoot without it. I personally don't like the anamorphic filter thou. They sharp but gives weird flare on certain lens. I uses a bunch of lens and find that the century anamorphic gives the best result. All the 2X aspect ratio on kowa for example is to much stretching. Look kind of weird to me. The Century and Ag-La7200 is the best in my book. The Century has better build quality and also more compact.

• I want to use 2:35 cropping for new film. Which lenses can I use with the best frame and dof for GH1.

My lenses:

*Sigma 24mm 2.8

*Vivitar 28mm 2.0

*Vivitar 28mm 2.5

*Beroflex 35mm 2.8

*Minolta MD 50mm 1.7

And @stonebat you say; "Here goes simple math for GH2 configuration.

24 / 1.83 * .75 = 10mm

35 / 1.83 * .75 = 14mm

50 / 1.83 * .75 = 20mm

85 / 1.83 * .75 = 35mm

135 / 1.83 * .75 = 55mm "

For Gh1 to this calculation 1.83 or 2

• @gh2hacked the 2x anamorphic is 'the' look. 1.33x, although rendering a nice 2.35 with nice flares on 16:9, doesn't quite give that true anamorphic look. 1.5-1.75x with horizontal cropping is a good compromise.

• @simurg it's focal length x crop factor (1.83 approx for GH1/2) divided by anamorphic stretch. Although it's not that straight forward, as your vertical focal length equivalent won't change, but your horizontal will.

• @simurg Forget about my math. Wider angle might give the same x and y axis framing, but it can't mimic the z-axis or background framing.

Just use your preferred focal length on 16:9 ratio. Make sure you get framing right so that you get enough room for cropping. That'll do it. Just don't substitute with shorter focal length if possible.

• I wish I can close this topic. It was a wrong approach....