Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lenses for 2.35:1 "cropping"
  • Suppose 2.35:1 is made by cropping top/bottom of 16:9 clips.

.75x on 16:9 gives roughly 2.35:1 ratio.

Let's say we want 24mm/35mm/50mm/85mm/135mm "like" focal lengths on the anamorphic ratio.

Here goes simple math for GH2 configuration.

• 24 / 1.83 * .75 = 10mm
    • 35 / 1.83 * .75 = 14mm
    • 50 / 1.83 * .75 = 20mm
    • 85 / 1.83 * .75 = 35mm
    • 135 / 1.83 * .75 = 55mm

Just an idea ;)

More information about wide angle converter for 14mm 2.5: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/39847#Comment_39847

See this link to draw 2.35:1 lines on LCD screen protector.

Here's DIY fake flares anamorphic adapter. I found this link while browsing @shian's vimeo works. Highly recommend his http://ColorGhear.com site.

How to set 1920x818 anamorphic cropping from Premiere Pro

• 34 Replies sorted by
  • @stonebat Thanks! I shoot anamorphic lenses myself, but many shooters will appreciate the cost savings and ease of use of cropping. Also, we all have times when we have to mix cropped and squeezed footage. Soft and hard-mattes were discussed at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/10478#Comment_10478

• @stonebat Yeah, thanks for the info Stone. I've been wanting to try this for a while.

• @stonebat, This is a great resource. Many anamorphic shooters end up intercutting some cropped clips with the anamorphic footage. Extreme closeups, lowlight situations or special visual effects like fisheye shots call for non-anamorphic adapters. I have been too lazy to get this table done. Now i have it printed and laminated ready for the battles.

• Just updated with more stuff on the 1st post. Have fun~!

• That fake anamorphic flare filter... Wow

• @Roberto I like your tip. I got a Cinematics mattebox and it has top/bottom/sides flags :)

• Prolly 20mm f1.7 would be the weakest link, but it's the cheapest option at the focal length at f1.7.

I'm hopeful. One day Samyang or somebody will make 19mm f1.4 lens for m43... at cheap price.

• you can see that fake anamorphic filter in action here... i used it quite a bit in this piece.

try to ignore that weird gray line at the bottom. It was a weird conversion glitch.

• @shian how do you make the fake anamorpic flare to give different color streaks?

• no idea, it just picks up whatever light is shinning on it and acts like a sort of prism, for instance, the shot of the couple making out in the car was lit with color temperature blue fluorescents, but the flare came from a warm temperature flashlight pointed at the lens. the purple flare came from a light that was gelled purple.

• got it, thank you, very nice work by the way

• @shian: some of the most cinematic GH2 pictures i've seen. Are these excerpts of your short films? You seem to make a lot, since the GH2 is not that old. :) tell us, please

• @fatpig - the details are on the vimeo page, but yes, except for 'Love or War' which is a feature I shot on the GH2 which is in post right now.

People are blown away by the GH2. So I buy a GH2, and shoot one short with it, someone from that set raves about it to a friend, who calls me and asks to see footage, then I get hired to shoot their film, and then the cycle continues, until you get a call to shoot a feature, and then the next thing you know you're shooting the opening titles to a studio film on the RED, and so on. The budgets on the shorts are always very small, otherwise I would shoot with a RED, only because it's so much easier to do so. I'm constantly fighting the limitations of the GH2, which is an extra battle I'd like to not have. BUT it sure beats shooting on a fixed lens video cam. The more I use it, the more I'm aware of it's limitations in what I'm trying to do, but it's still the best camera I've ever OWNED, and the best DSLR I've ever shot with.

There should be more imdb credits going live soon from "Seeing Other People", "Love or War", and "What Lies Between Us", and as one of the producers I just worked with put it, I'm quite possibly creating a new production crossbreed - the Cinematographer/Colorist, as the credits that I will getting on all of those projects will be for both shooting and grading the project. So the look of my footage is a combination of factors, the camera, my lighting, and the grading.

• I'm sure a hacked GH2 is only a part of the equation. Thus GH2 != cinematic look. It's just a tool. A nice tool :)

Anyways I hope some people don't take the equations from the 1st posting literally. My point was that wider angle "might" make framing easier for 2.35:1 ratio without using anamorphic adapter. I'm taking 11-35mm range more seriously though :)

• At 16:9, I like 14mm, 25mm, and 50mm. At 2.35:1 cropping without using anamorphic lens, I like 11mm, 17.5mm, and 35mm. There are a couple of drawbacks or characteristics to this approach.

The wider lenses would give deeper DOF. If the lenses are fast, it wouldn't be a showstopper. But fast lense ain't cheap. E.g. crazy fast 0.95.

Usually camera lenses have short throw toward infinity. Using wider lens implies focusing closer to infinity which requires more precision control.

• @EOSHD posted on his site a while back that some c-mount lenses might give the fake anamorphic look and be cheaper than most of the new lenses.

He says in that post that that 12.5mm vignettes quite a bit on the GH1 but if you crop to 2:35:1 almost all the vignette is gone and the wide angle gives a nice look. If you got the GH2 you can use ETC and get even wider c-mounts and those lenses will give you added...."character".

• Thanks for the info. That was written before 12mm 1.6 was available ;)

BTW some Chinese company is working on 35mm 0.95. Does m43 need such lens? Sure why not.

• @stonebat But the SLR Magic costs $500? I just bought a 6mm 1.8 with adapter for $20. The Computar he mentioned is a bit more expensive now, at around $50-100 depending if you get lucky or unlucky. Still there's lots of decent C-mounts in the sub $50 range that would make a nice fake anamorphic imho.

Also Goyo makes a 1" machine lens at 25mm and F.95 for around $400. I never had the guts to try and buy one, but if it doesn't vignette...could be seriously awesome and even if it did vignette a bit, might still work for 2:35 cropping.

• I like taking 4:3 photos from GH2. It helps capturing more vertical framing for candid style. I mean... who would like headless portraits? Getting familiar with 4:3 photo helps this anamorphic cropping trick.

Let's say one likes Vimeo videos taken by GH1/2 + 35mm + 1.33x anamorphic lens. Simply dividing the focal length by 1.33 gives 26.3mm that is just a tad bit longer than 25mm.

First draw the anamorphic horizontal lines on GH1/2's LCD protector. Have 25mm lens on the camera. Without pointing the camera, eyeball the imaginary 4:3 frame as if using 35mm lens. Then use the camera and do the real framing from the same standing place. The anamorphic box on the camera's LCD would look very close to 33% wider than the imaginary frame. Easy huh?

Here's a list of such mapping. Divide by 1.33 then make a bit wider to accomodate the difference between 4:3 ratio's 2x crop and 16:9 ratio's 1.83 crop.

• 85mm -> 58mm
    • 50mm -> 35mm
    • 35mm -> 25mm
    • 24mm -> 17.5mm
    • 18mm -> 12mm

Isn’t it looking pretty?

20120501-P1020810.jpg
    960 x 408 - 150K
    20120502-P1020845.jpg
    960 x 408 - 223K
  • Here's a nice blog about comparing m43 format to Super35mm format. http://filmsbyshaun.com/the-switch-to-micro-43-and-super35-equivalent-fov/

The blogger concludes m43 equivalent to the most common Super35mm focal lengths are 17/25/35/60. Darn close to my conclusion. But Super35mm + 1.33x Anamorphic lens gives 2.35:1. To simulate the same FOV on m43 when cropping 16:9 to 2.35:1, m43 set would be either 12/17.5/25/42.5mm or 14/20/30/50mm.

It's no coincidence that the former set is nice for 4:3 ratio, too. Practicing 4:3 photo framing will improve the anamorphic cinematic framing.

• Simply dividing focal length by anamorphic ratios isn't quite right though. It only changes the horizontal FOV. When dealing with subjects, the vertical ratio is still the same, it's not like switching to a lens with a shorter focal length.

When I approach anamorphic shooting, which usually includes people in the shot, I'm still the same distance away from the subject, attachment or not, as they still need to physically fill the vertical frame the same. However, I do have a different composition.

To me anamorphics are more compositional tools than focal length adjusters. Although I do appreciate if you're comparing larger sensor (FF/APSC) matte cropping to mFT anamorphics the similarities start to converge.

• At least I know this simple cropping can never mimic the anamorphic look and feel... due to z-axis distortion on background image. The simple cropping would yield wider background than anamorphic's.

Z-axis distortion is correlated to the focal length. Simply cropping wider lens can't mimic the background z-axis distortion from more tele lens + anamorphic lens. Darn...

• @stonebat might it be possible to add "some" distortion" by changing away from square pixcels? It would stretch uniformly, but it might bring some similarities to the anamorphic footage? I don't know if there are any plugins or techniques that can distort footage in a way that would more closely approximate anamorphic glass?

• @matthere Forget about software. I'd get an anamorphic lens if I really want true anamorphic.

• Oval bokeh with DIY paper cutout and cropping in post works rather well with my 50 1.4. I rather add flares in post to control them better.