Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon D800 topic
  • 246 Replies sorted by
  • @bleach551

It does not have to be better than the gh2 in terms of downscaling, only equal. Of course the higher MP count would be more demanding of the processor, but that is not my problem. There will be better cameras if that is the case in which case the 3k would be better invested elsewhere.

If i want a large sensor with poor downscaling / usable video / good photo tool I just have to buy a used 5dmkII for a half / a third of the price. Or a 5n.

On the other hand, if Nikon manage to bring clean video, this will be a VERY competetive camera. Obviously people will still buy it but... As a tool it's very different.

• Hopefully the D800 will produce decent video. The examples look OK, but the jury is still out. Like everyone else, I want to see raw footage under various conditions.

Also, Nikon has no reason not to hold back from offering the best DSLR video as possible. They have no provideo department to step on (unlike Canon).

• @LPowell

I'm sure this new Nikon will be a fantastica camera. I'm also aware that if I extend my GH2 sensor to full-frame size I'd get 64mb (!!!) but let me ask you: who really needs 36mb (instead of 20 or 24) on a FF reflex camera?

Is Nikon trying to capture medium-format studio photographer, as if some extra MP were the only advantage of medium-format cameras over DSRL in terms of IQ?

And what about corner performance?

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that nobody asked for 36mb. They're just an "easy" way to distinguish the D800 from D4.

IMHO :-)

• Anyone else thinking: well, GH2 with other sensor and clean hdmi... for almost 4 times the price. whats the fuzz?

• @Fatpig,

Only if you were completely not interested at all in it's Photographic stills capabilities or the fact that you have both a 15.3MP APS-C sensor and 36.3 MP FX sensor in one camera, or a "clean" 8-bit 4:2:2 HDMI output that will be both viewable on an HD external monitor and in the rear Lcd monitor on the camera at the same time. Along with other features not present in the GH2 for $3000, If so then you are completely and totally correct. It is almost 4 times the cost of the gh2 and a complete waste of "your" money.

• to be honest I think the picture on this looks muddy

• Thanks for explaining about the sensor and math. I think Nikon-devotees can now finally have a great stills cam that can do video well. This is their 5DMkII. I'm also guessing the upgrade from MkI to MkII will be more significant then MkII to MkIII. If you shoot both cams in normal/lighting conditions, it will not be a 'big' difference. Especially to the average Joe (non-camera geeks).

• Do you have information about the bit rates?

• I found! Answering my question: 1,920 x 1,080/24p - 24 Mbps/12 Mbps (Maximum length for High quality movies is 20 min)

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/features02.htm

• @Oedipax I agree that the image isn't particularly exciting.

• Here's a music video with the d800. Not really impressed. It could've been a MkII at least to the visible eye. Will wait for more examples to make 'concrete conclusions'.

• A couple of caveats * in the pdf on page 16-17:

*The aspect ratio of movies is 16:9 whichever format is selected. Also, in the FX- based movie format, the width of the image area is approx. 91% of that in the still image FX format.

*When video is output through HDMI interface simultaneously with recording to a CF/SD card, output image through HDMI interface will be smaller than 1,280 x 720

• @last-Shift,

@jimtreat pointed out to me earlier in this post that that 91% width in FX mode was most probably an error and that the 91% was for the height and not width. Here is the link he provided again discussing this very topic.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/35128#Comment_35128

I'll wait for much more extensive testing but Primarily after I have used it for myself. No intelligent person would make a decision on rather or not to purchase a camera based on a few others opinions whom don't even have the camera yet.

• @bleach551 hmm, thats coming from a pdf from Nikon though. Whether this is different to the D4's one or not.. perhaps the 91% crop IS applied to the width in video mode. Not sure whether this happens on any other camera, not a big deal i guess but a bit frustrating.

As you said, it'll be good when these cameras actually come out and people can start providing us all with real facts.

• @jimtreats,

There's no telling what nikon is actually doing in the FX "movie mode" but I'm hoping the 91% was for height and not width. Hopefully, as more accomplished nikon photographers than myself , which are many, get a chance to test it out over the months after it's release, We can all start to make more definitive statements on what it can and can't do.

• IQ not so great but the video was well shot.

• How much would you pay for this cam if you were on the fence or not interested? I know you would get it for $1 but really, if it was 2K would you go for it? What is the pricepoint where you would take out your card for the d800?

• Mushy video - tried it at CES. B-frames and lots of compression.

At CES the Nikon reps admit that they have ZERO confidence in the D4/D800 as a video tool - hence the reason they are embarrassed to release files from the 8-bit HDMI out.

Great stills camera but the video won't impress anyone. Nothing sampled at CES on big TVs looked good. Just a warning for GH2 users. Canon and Panasonic will trump these Nikons with their next releases.

• That last point is what I figured, Troy.

• @troyjason

What lens did you use, if it was an AF lens, was it properly back-focused? what aperture was used? What in-camera sharpening settings did you use? What Picture control profile did you use? which movie mode did you use, FX or DX? what video resolution did you shoot in 1080 or 720, high or normal? Have you ever shot with an Nikon APS-C or FX sensor camera before? What ISO and Shutter Speed did you use?

These are a few of the questions that I would ask you in your evaluation of this camera. Some people, based on other reviews of it's video function online, did seem to be impressed with video from this camera. I have no doubt that you tried the d800 out at CES and based on you experience with the GH series Panasonic cameras the video of the d800 looked "pale" to you in comparison. However, unless you have some scientific tests to backup you observations it's simply hearsay on your part.

I have no loyalties to any DSLR manufacturer, I've had a Canon 7D, a Hacked Panasonic GH1, and now I have a Nikon D7000. Your assessment of the D800 may be 100% on the mark, if so I will wait to see what Canon offers in their next generation DSLR's or some other manufacturer but not before looking at more extensive scientific tests.

• @bleach551 - Imagine that I told you that I just built the best car in the world but I won't let anyone test drive it. Would you buy it from me without anyone's reviews or being able to test drive it yourself? This is what Nikon is doing by not providing any 4:2:2 HDMI out samples. They are looking to pad preorders plain and simple. The main reason they advertise uncompressed HDMI out is that it is currently something Canon doesn't provide. Its a "check box" that gear freaks will notice.

Look I am not saying that Nikon doesn't have a few great cameras on their hands - but since it is NIKON that is hiding all the samples, it makes me suspicious.

NIKON have told EVERY NIKON TESTER in the world to NOT share uncompressed samples. Why do you think that is?

Theses cameras will be released to the public in under a month.

PS: I have no bias either since I rent Red Epics and Scarlets for many of my shoots - I want competition and I want Nikon to push Canon and Panasonic.

• @troyjason,

I understand what you are saying, and if Nikon is really not wanting to show any 8-bit 4:2:2 HDMI out footage from the Nikon D800, then I would be very suspicious of it's quality also. However, can you backup this statement with other sources? If this is something as huge as you believe it to be, wouldn't others somewhere on the net have come to this conclusion also.

I don't want to come across as a Nikon Fanboy because I will buy my next camera from whomever gives me the features I want. I would ask some of the same questions if someone stated on another Blog that they had tested the future Panasonic GH3 or Canon 5DMKIII and said that they had an image quality that was sub-par and that there was no need to waste your time exploring them as options.

I can't really even think about renting a Red Epic or Scarlet right now. With my current talent level, which I am always constantly improving upon with lesser quality cameras, It would be a great waste of my time and money. I hope Nikon, Panasonic, Canon, Sony or whomever, as you mentioned earlier, continue to push each other and Red to give us something closer in performance and features that we can all afford.

• It's also probable that the corporate gods of Mount Nikon don't believe a feature that's exotic and obscure for 99.9% of its customers (HDMI recording) warrants a lot of marketing fury.

Arguably, they're worried about the still features with hybrid video use way down the line and with the typical video user running onboard mic or at best a videomic straight to cam.

Only the freaks like us are cracking open the camera and bolting espresso machines to it.

• "I understand what you are saying, and if Nikon is really not wanting to show any 8-bit 4:2:2 HDMI out footage from the Nikon D800, then I would be very suspicious of it's quality also. However, can you backup this statement with other sources?"

There are no sources. That's my point. Again why do you think Nikon is telling EVERY D4 and D800 user in the world to NOT release uncompressed HDMI samples?

We can only judge what they release on vimeo / youtube / and I/we saw at CES. That's it. Why would anyone buy the Nikons based on that?

And bleach551, I know your no fanboy - its cool - in totally understand what you are getting at. I'm not trying to bash the Nikon's either. Perhaps by some miracle someone will get a D800/D4, release uncompressed samples and they will blow away a GH2 (running all i-frames and 150mbps).

Cheers!