Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Question about GH2 DR
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • It should be possible to squeeze a bit more, since the camera does better in photo mode. The question is, if it's technically possible to hack that part of processing.
  • @cbrandin I know you were investigating film modes. Any updates on that? You think the 9.5 stops is the tops for 4/3 camera dynamic range, or is it possible to squeeze another stop (or two!?) out of the GH2?
  • @Tamir

You might want to have a look at this: http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/does.pixel.size.matter/.

It's complicated stuff. The upshot is that dynamic range is related to sensor pixel size. With a full frame sensor 14 stops is approaching the theoretical limit. A Nikon D700 (12MP) has better dynamic range than a D3X (24MP), for example, because each pixel well is bigger. 14 stops is probably only possible with a full frame sensor operating at base ISO. Smaller sensors and higher ISO levels will degrade dynamic range performance. I suspect that achieving 14 stops on a 4/3 camera is currently impossible. Same goes for any camera with a smaller sensor (like Red).

Applying a flat rendering curve won't help because the additional image data simply isn't there.

Chris
  • Did you ever try to grade a scene with true 13 steps from a Canon with Technicolor profile? It just falls apart badly.
    8 bit can't hold it, so even if Vitaliy could hack the GH2 to get that, we couldn't make much use of it in 8 bit.

Plus, the GH2 doesn't deliver that much, even in RAW photographs there are only 11.5 steps (tested with Xyla by DSc Labs). If you need 13 to 14 steps, get an Alexa. Even RED has difficulties getting that much without HDRx.

Regarding Canon's C300, I normally don't talk about cameras I haven't tested yet. But even if it had 14 stops (it seems to have very low noise) how do we make use of it if they are deliverd squeezed into 8 bits ?
  • @Tamir

This is your first post, in wrong category, all in caps, and it is strange complaint.
    We recently had troll going about GH2 resolution, hope it is not the case.
    We are not club of GH2 fanboys, but it is always best to stay constructive.

Please show us your films, clips.
  • Sure, but it's a bit time consuming. I was more hoping for a color profile alteration (like technicolor for canon) so that the camera would spit out a flat image with much higher DR.
  • Just use a flatter gamma... like cineform SiLog, Rspage or 5dtorgb flat; it's similar to the technicolor (the Rspage compress even more). Then calculate the DR in Rspace gamma and tell us how much it is..