Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Whole Voigtlander set for video? 10.5 mm 17.5 mm 25 mm 42.5 mm
  • 5 years back, I researched and found praises for Nokton lens, so I bought Nokton 25 mm. I fall in love with it - with its build quality and its softness. Unfortunately for some reason I sold it and tried to gave up this hobby.

After some months I bought Nokton 17.5 mm and Panasonic G6, then Phantom 3 Pro and last year Panasonic 100-300.

As my hobby and side job, I shoot videos of weddings, cultural events, and so on. Recently I got idea to step up and upgrade my gear, but I found myself teared up between so much choices. Because of my past experiences, I tend to favourites Nokton lenses. I idealize having whole set of them.

From last year I saved up enough from my videography to afford to buy Voigtlander 10.5 mm, 25 mm and 42.5 mm, with Panasonic G85 body (althought I would spend all of that money saved from videography from last year). For some time I worried that Voigt lens are not stabilized, but Pan G85 body is, so that is good. Idea of having whole Voigt set seems like perfect step up in my videography. Manual focus is still challenge for me, but with 17.5 mm I got used to it and even quite cherish it. What makes me confused are 3 things:

1) Thought of trying to get used to Panasonic lenses with not-so exclusive build quality keeps me from buying one. But I could buy used for 2 years, functional Panasonic Nocti 42.5 mm f/1.2 for 800 dollars, and use it for both videography and photography too (autofocus and stabilization), so it seems like no brainer, but I tend to cling to Voigt lens with my heart. And having whole set of Voigts would keep my "style" somehow unified maybe? If I would take photos with Voigts I would be probably frustrated (with moving objects)... on the other hand this way I could train manual focusing for my videos. So as you can see I am really confused with both options. For same money I could have new Voigt 42.5 mm (I live in Central Europe, so buying electronis from foreign countries is not possible due to high fees).

2) Second problem with buying almost whole set of Voigt lens (10.5, 25, 42.5 and Panasonic G85) is money. I can afford it, but man, it is a lot of money. Even worry of theft of my gear comes in mind. On the other hand, with possibility on reach, I would love to play with all those Voigt lenses in different situations for different purposes on upcoming projects/events...

3) I counted with Nokton 10.5 mm for purpose of using it in future on one of those new one-hand-gimbals, but althought I saw smooth videos of this combo, I saw bad review too (too heavy-front for some gimbals). Officialy weight-wise it is under norm though, so I would have just to try it first I guess...

What do you think? What would you do? What should I do? :-)

Thanks a lot for your answer.