Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1: 100Mbps Max Latitude Settings V2
  • 73 Replies sorted by
  • @GrgurMG, I was using AVCHD, The strange thing was I recorded for 93 mins as a test 2 days before, nothing stressfull though, just at home in a room.
    Looks like im back to the max reliability patches.
  • @britekite, Yes, same camera :)
  • @jedman1 Doh sorry, got lost as to what mode we were talking about. Yeah, that is weird then. What ISO do you tend to shoot at? Some of the initial issues when native 24p first came out stemmed from static shots at low ISO, although this doesn't sound too much like it's likely to be that.
  • Hello,

After reading so many posts about the lpowell patches I'm having trouble to understand the following:

- many seem to refer to Max Lat V2 lpowell patch as a FHD 1080 patch but I can only find a downloadable file of that patch that records at a maximum resolution of 1920x720.

It seems to me that Max Lat V2 lpowell doesn't record FHD (1920x1080), or am I wrong?
    If it can record 1920x1080 can anyone point me to the Max Lat V2 lpowell patch download that records at that resolution?

I'll be very appreciated.
    Thanks
  • MJPEG is MJPEG, FHD is recorded in AVCHD.
  • "MJPEG is MJPEG, FHD is recorded in AVCHD."

So that means that lPowell Max Lat patch will record 1920x1080 in AVCHD and 1980x720 in MJPEG settings. Is this correct?

Anyway, if it is, MJPEG will only record at 30fps if I read correctly right?
    Thanks
  • Usually lpowell releases a pair, one for standard and the other for anamorphic. If you don't get it, read his posting more carefully.
  • After doing some research I've hacked with native 25p checked.

I've saw LPowell stating that PAL 1080p videos are "recorded at 25fps wrapped in an interlaced 50i container, and Since PAL requires no 3:2 pulldown, it is a straightforward, error-free procedure to extract a progressive 25p video stream from an interlaced 50i container."

I've been surfing the net for an answer to automatically extract the P footage from the i container within FCP or Compressor but with no avail.

Can anyone share how this is done?
    Thanks in advance
  • Tested Lpowell max lat patch in MJPEG mode (1280x720 30P) and experienced banding problems in the output. Minimized the problem through careful editing. Not sure what is causing this. Patch was flawless in AVCHD mode. Panasonic GH1 (WE0GDxxxxxx) / PNY 16GB class 10 SDHC card. The test video link is

This was essentially a comparison test between the GH17 and Casio FH100 in MJPEG mode.
  • Tested Lpowell max lat patch in AVCHD FHD mode on a free show in Las Vegas recently. The total test time was approx 18 minutes Equipment used - hacked GH1 with 14-42 Lumix , Sandisk Extreme Class 10 16 GB card, Gorillapod. Considering the challenging location, sort of like filming inside a mosh pit. I was impressed with the results. I was able to record without any glitches. The test video is at

• Over the weekend I was reviewing video clips taken with my hacked GH1 with the Lpowell Max Latitude patch and discovered some problems. Using Mediainfo I examined the following clip:

The camera was shooting video at 30 fps interlaced.
    I'm not sure what happened. The camera was set to FHD and I used a Sandisk SDHC extreme class 10 for acquisition.

Here is the full report:

Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 905 MiB
    Duration : 3mn 40s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 34.5 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 43.1 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : No
    Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : 27
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 32.9 Mbps
    Maximum bit rate : 16.6 Mbps
    Width : 1920 pixels
    Height : 1080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Standard : NTSC
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.530
    Stream size : 864 MiB (95%)

Audio
    ID : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Codec ID : 129
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 192 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mo : Lossy
    Stream size : 5.04 MiB (1%)

• @ LPowell
    I noticed that the new release of ptools 3.63 have some new constants patches for AVCHD. May be a V3 of this (or other) patch will be released for the GH1?
  • @LPowell +1 + v3 for 3.63d ??

• @willyfan
    @zcream

I should have time to experiment with the new GH1 patches this week.

However, I discovered that the new patch which removes ISO limits does not work properly on the GH1. Perhaps we should wait until Vitaliy releases an update to fix this problem?
  • Why wait? I think that the new patches will work in the future too, when Vitaliy will fix the bug on the ISO limits...
    Ok, it's a joke... but anyway, a more reliable and/or best patch is not lost time. Waiting for the ISO limits bug fix...
  • GH1 with LPowell´s standart patch: This motion image cannot be played - any idea?
    I have it already found ;-) :
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/173/gh1-gf1-g2-reliable-in-camera-playback-patch-version-2-#Item_26
    Which patch is the best for the GH1, which all still work?
    But, what is the cause the playback does not work? ISO-Limit ...
    Thank you to all testers and for the posts ;-)
  • It work amazing on gf1 and Transcend class 10!! 108 Mb/s en avchd!

Don't forget check "manual movie modes"

Thanks!

• I am going to dust off my GH1 to work with Aki's ideas for low light shooting. @lpowell What do you think of CRFilms idea of using GOP6 on your settings for low light.

• @zcream ...don't know/remember about changing this hack for GOP6 and low light, just for changing things to mess around with low GOP settings. The biggest problem with low light, is the GH1 is just weak in that area, unless you got a decent sensor from the factory, but if you got the standard FPN sensor, you're screwed. But, shoot faster than F2.8 or light it properly and you can get away with a lot more than you think up to ISO 800. OR shoot black and white and you can push to max 3200 iso and get usable images if you use the B&W Smooth film setting.

Here's my main problem with this patch and most patches on the GH1. I downloaded Pappas 2k chart, only chart I could find. I put it on my 42" LCD, pointed the GH1 till it filled the screen and EVERY patch I tried failed. Max Lat, stability, native 24p. Rigs GOP1, GOP4...everything failed EXCEPT....stock firmware, or stock except max iso hack. Not knocking the patches...it's the hardware....the GH1 just can't do that type of super detail. I tried the GH2 with one of the 160mb GOP1 hacks and a standard Transcend class 10...worked fine.

I tried Rigs GOP1, changed to GOP4 and that's as stable a low GOP as I could do. Ultimatly I don't know if GOP6 Max Lat would really be better than stock GOP. We need a proper, SIMPLE, test to see if GH1 low GOP is really better for movement, because in overall detail, my closeups of GOP1/4, Max Lat look pretty much the same to me, but I'm not doing locked off controlled settings.

• @CRFilms Fortunately, there's not often a need to film a test chart on an LCD screen! I have shot a few tests on my 47" :LCD, and the flicker seemed to be minimized by shooting at 1/80 sec shutter. With typical program material, none of the GH1 patches I tried had any reliability problems.

@zcream My high-bitrate GH1 patches were very sensitive to short-GOP settings, which I found pretty much impossible to stabilize. The only exception was the Fast Action 3-Frame GOP Patch, which worked only in 720p25/30 mode. With any GOP size below 12, the camera would shut off within a few seconds when exposed to darkness. In general, the GH1 has a much harder time with short-GOP settings than the GH2.

• i'm a little bit disappointed. today i finally tested the camera with some high detailed scenes. the highest bitrate i got was 38mbps with this hack, i shot everything in FHD AVCHD 25p. at this scene the camera always froze if i recorded a longer clip then 10 seconds. i have a samsung C10 card.

http://i47.tinypic.com/25f6el3.png (i didn't focus where i wanted but i couldn't see s*%t because of the snow it was soo bright)

that counts as a high detailed scene, right? media inspector says the video steam bitrate is 17.4mpbs, and the scene is very low detailed. is that normal or i screwed something up? i shot other scenes there, but they i didn't like the quality.

• @HollyBoni
    This patch is rock stable, I can ensure you- but use Sandisk Extreme 95MB/s. Period. My advice: 32GB and 24p instead of 25p, if it suits your work.

You will get high bitrates with sharp lens when the scene is very detailed and well-lit. LPowell took lot of care to make this patch and it is good that the bitrate is variable. The IQ is still excellent even then.

If you are high-bitrates-guy, try 3GOP patch by rigs, I've recently exported that settings and uploaded zip on that topic, as our mate rigs didn't do it (with early Ptool versions it was not possible yet).

• thanks, i'll try it. i'm not a high bitrate guy, but when i tested the camera yesterday i didn't like the overall quality.

• @HollyBoni you also want to make sure you card is fast enough. The 95mbs cards are overkill imho on the GH1s. I've gotten failures even on those. You just need to make sure the standard class 10 is fast enough.

Most class 10s are only pushing 9-10 mbs in sustained writing, while the better ones do 13-15mbs. And sometimes a 16gb version of the same card can be faster than the 32gb. I had a transcend 16gb that did 15mbs, but the 32gb only did 13mbs. I'd go to a store that has a good return policy, best buy in the states, not sure where you are, and buy some cards, test them, then return them and order the best one off amazon to save you a few bucks.