Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Lightest affordable portable solution for 4K offline video editing?
  • What would it be?

So, I am looking for physicly the lightest laptop that can:

• be easy to carry around and light enough so that my back feels pleased that I ditched my old 15" mbp
    • have stable and smooth run of AVID MC
    • have stable and smooth run of ADOBE PREMIERE
    • maybe even run FCP X (only as a last resort; I hate fcp X so would love not to use it anymore but some colabolators like it so... :(
    • play smoothly 4K footage from cameras like sony A7sII, panasonic GH4 and such l, in finder preview/vlc player/QT player and editors mentioned above.

I need it for offline editing of documentary features, mostly via proxy 2K files but if it can edit native 4K codecs without too much hickups that is a plus. I intend to do mostly cut only editing with occasional cross dissolves, filtering, playspeed alterations etc... No major CC, sound mix etc...that will be done in pro studio enviroment!

From what I see, 13" mbp could fitt the bill. I was especialy pleased with videos that demonstrate upgrading hardware on old MBP's from 2010/2012 in order to be as efficient as the latest models. But Is there anything in PC clan that I should look out for?

I expect it to be my portable solution for on location quick video interventions and offline edit suite for another year (until 4th quarter of 2017).

Oh and of course, I expect it to be priced cery very very reasonably (bellow 1500$).

Thanks IA for everyone's input!

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Mi older, lightweight Sony S15 has a desktop i7 and a graphics card. I paid $650 for it four years ago, used, they are hard to find but work reasonably well for video editing. A smaller screen is tough going.