Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Olympus E-M1 Mk II topic
  • 289 Replies sorted by
  • Well written Vitaliy... I am sure these pictures could have been taken from the older E-M1 and still look the same with the right RAW work.

• @jules

And I though that it will force you to travel to this place and also spend money on some raw processing course. :-) As both this things played around 100x more role compared to camera.

• I saw that iceberg picture yesterday.. that gallery (all taken handheld) is pushing me toward buying.

• Is this a real authentic video?

• DPreview note

For example, the flagship Olympus body now costs nearly $2,000.

So pretty realistic.

• Do you think its a realistic price?

• The Dutch Store Fotokonijnenberg.nl listed the new Olympus E-M1II with a price of €1.999,00

Big margins galore.

• This could be the sleeper cam for video, except that I remember years of interviews where Olympus management claimed that no one wanted video. I would not underestimate their capacity to screw something up and then describe it as a "feature."

• Updated some info in first post.

As their managers tell camera won't have any crop in 4K modes, except if you want additional digital stab enabled (ala Panasonic Active mode in their camcorders).

• I found it interesting in the interview that Olympus still do not consider the EM1 II a hybrid but "a stills camera with video". It makes me wonder with all they have apparently done why they wouldn't consider it a Hybrid for marketing purposes.

This one easy. They heavily used marketing, especially via their photo guys partners, claiming that Olympus make cameras for true still shooters. So, I think that they want to take it all slow, and not break any Panasonic relations in same time.

• I found it interesting in the interview that Olympus still do not consider the EM1 II a hybrid but "a stills camera with video". It makes me wonder with all they have apparently done why they wouldn't consider it a Hybrid for marketing purposes. I'm not sure if it could be that Panasonic is going to come out with a masterpiece of a Hybrid and they know it or there is still some minor issues like moire handled better by others? I really hope there just being humble. I really like the brand but so far have always been compelled to go Panasonic because of there edge in video. I'm looking forward to a very difficult decision next year.

• Good interview (overall for any management interview)

Q - Regarding sensor resolution – Why did you choose a 20mp sensor?

We are always looking for the best balance between high resolution and noise performance, and it’s a balance. Total image quality is important.

No one actually asked them, they just have to select Sony sensor :-)

Q - Can you take hi-res shots handheld?

No, not yet, it has to be extremely precise, as it is moving the sensor as a sub-pixel lens.

The right thing to do was to use larger shifts, record special info in EXIF and supply automatic align in software.

Q - Can you tell us more about the 20mp sensor in the E-M1 Mark II?

The 20mp Live MOS sensor, different to the PEN-F, with Phase Detection focus on chip. There's a new processing engine, the TruePic VIII – giving higher image quality, there is a 1 stop noise performance improvement over the E-M1. Performance should also be better than the PEN-F due to the new image processing engine. The Auto ISO range is now up to ISO3200 (by default), when it used to be ISO1600, as we are happier with the noise performance. The camera also goes down to ISO64, although this is at a lower dynamic range. ISO3200 on the E-M1 is equal to ISO6400 on the E-M1 II.

On Dynamic range, we have compared the dynamic range to the competition, and the E-M1 Mark II at ISO200 gives 4.2 steps, which is better than the E-M1, (3.8steps), and APS-C cameras such as the Canon EOS 7D Mark II (3.5 steps), and Fujifilm X-T1 (3.5steps).

Dynamic part thing make little sense.

Where is no such thing as "TruePic VIII" outside marketing, as they use Panasonic LSIs.
    I also have doubts about sensor performance, as most of it lately is achieved by heavy noise reduction, even in raw.

Q - How did you improve the AF system?

We needed to change everything in the camera, change the EVF, and sensor engine, so that’s it’s possible for the shooter to track the subject. The EVF delay is normally a problem, but we have improved this with a 120fps refresh rate and response time of just 6ms. Making it very close to an optical viewfinder. You can shoot at 18fps, and we also show the image between blackout, so you can continue to see the live-view, not just the photo after it has been taken.

From this Olympus have nothing to do with sensor and EVF panel. Of course they made big work with firmware actually making it work at max.

The E-M1 II has a 2x larger buffer than the E-M1, a processor that is 3.5x faster, plus a 3x faster readout from the sensor, as well as support for UHS-II cards so the images can be written to the card quicker. Normally an update would be just the sensor, or just the processor, or a few parts of the system, but we had to change it all to improve the performance.

So, LSI is by Panasonic, memory most probably by Samsung or Elpida, and sensor from Sony. But we must prize Olympus?

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-q-a--olympus-om-d-e-m1-sensor-size-trip-29987

• Olympus Interview, Photokina 2016

• Hands-on in Russian

http://www.3dnews.ru/939736

Video one

img2306.jpg
    800 x 642 - 50K
  • 6.5 stops is actually a theoretical limitation at the moment due to rotation of the earth interfering with gyro sensors.

I'm sure Sony will be first to market with IBIS that slows the Earth's rotation.

Do we know yet if there is a video crop associated with 4K recording on the MkII?

• Another interview

Does the OM-D E-M1 Mark II offer the best image quality of any Olympus camera?

Yes! Dynamic range is better, and also noise is better. So the OM-D E-M1 Mark II definitely offers the best overall image quality of any Olympus camera to date.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/photokina_2016_interview_the_olympus_om_d_e_m1_mark_ii/

• Setsuya Kataoka on E-M1 Mark II

AW: In its launch presentation Olympus said the E-M1 II would offer a better value proposition than APS-C. Can you expand on that; for example did it mean both DSLR and mirrorless?

SK: In a sense it’s both, but more about the conventional APS-C DSLR than APS-C CSCs. With the E-M1 Mark II we have surpassed the speed and image quality of APS-C DSLRs. We’re better than our competitors at mid-range ISOs around ISO 6400, with better noise reduction and resolution.

AW: Can we talk about the E-M1 Mark II’s new IS system. How well does it work with and without IS lenses?

SK: The in-body stabilisation itself gives 5.5 steps, and the Sync IS gives 6.5 steps with OIS lenses. 6.5 stops is actually a theoretical limitation at the moment due to rotation of the earth interfering with gyro sensors.

AW: Is the sensor related to the one in the PEN-F just with PDAF added, or are there more differences?

SK: It’s a totally different sensor, two times faster, with totally different construction. On-chip phase detection is also incorporated.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/exclusive-interview-setsuya-kataoka-olympus-95731

• Want one! How soon they will ship?

img2242.jpg
    798 x 507 - 49K