Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Shocker: Volkswagen is not alone
  • 48 Replies sorted by
  • ...bringing the global total to 13 million cars!

Now how about all the Seat & Skodas with the VW TDI 2.0 Common Rail engine?

• Not surprising coming from a company originally created by the Nazi Party- Devils touting themselves as benevolent, savior angels.

Ya, still German... ;)

With this many vehicles affected and with law suits getting lined up around the block, it looks to me like VW is finished.

• Ja, I agree with you on your 1st statement. It's a pretty crappy thing they've done. At least it didn't kill anyone, like GM with their faulty ignition switch. I think their diesel cars might be finished in the USA.

I am looking into swapping a 5 speed into my '02 that came with the crap VW 01m auto trans. I will be hanging on to it for awhile, since you can't buy a new one and might not want a 2004-6 (cam shaft failures) or a 08-14 (emissions control parts failure before Dieselgate broke), we know now these parts were not even being used much! Any fix, is only going to further tax those systems which are failing early anyway and reduce gas mileage.

However I think for the German government they are "too big to fail". VW Group owns Porsche too.

• According to the Frankfurter Allgemeinen Zeitung

A technician went on record regarding the emissions discrepancy in 2011 (in German): http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/vw-abgasskandal/im-vw-dieselgate-gab-es-schon-2011-eine-warnung-13825485.html

• Bosch supplied the parts and warned VW to not release the cheating software in the wild: http://blog.caranddriver.com/report-bosch-warned-vw-about-diesel-emissions-cheating-in-2007/

Note: in my recollection from 10 years in Europe, "Bild" (including "Bild am Sonntag") are not the most newsworthy sources. Maybe someone from Germany can chime in on this.

• @CFreak

If you turn logic part of your brain you understand that this info is made to protect Bosch, and no way it can be as they say. You simply do not need such advanced software for testing purposes.

• @VK Yes, Bosch is in damage control mode.

German government gives VW until Oct. 7th to present a solution: http://blog.caranddriver.com/germany-gives-volkswagen-10-days-to-present-solution-to-diesel-emissions-problem/

• @CFreak

Office guys like to set deadlines you can not keep :-) Especially bureaucrats in government.

• The lab studies found that Samsung’s ‘motion lighting’ feature reduced the TV sets’ brightness – and power consumption – under international electrotechnical commission (IEC) test conditions. These involve the playback of fast sequences of varied material, such as recorded TV shows, DVDs and live broadcasts.

But under real-world viewing conditions, no reductions in power consumption were registered, making the sets’ power consumption, fuel bills and carbon emissions correspondingly higher.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/01/samsung-tvs-appear-more-energy-efficient-in-tests-than-in-real-life

• Instead, Horn claimed the defeat devices were put in place by a few rogue software engineers. "This was not a corporate decision, from my point of view, and to my best knowledge today," he said. "This was a couple of software engineers who put this in for whatever reasons." Volkswagen has not been able to identify who these individuals might be, or even how many would have been involved in the scheme, according to the CEO.

Just LOL.

• Hey Barclay's bank had a rogue trader in Asia nearly bring them to their knees.

VW is just taking it a bit further with rogue software engineers under their noses in Wolfsberg. LOL. They don't know who they are because they are still lining up the poor scapegoats to take the fall.

• Hey Barclay's bank had a rogue trader in Asian nearly bring them to their knees

It happened multiple times, and usually it is one or two guys who make billions in transactions without any checking :-)

Btw, thing you see now (and all times before it) is usual capitalism procedures.

• Maybe Ewan MacGregor will star in "Rogue Software Engineer" LOL.

• US VW CEO Michael Horn testified about the Rouge Software Engineers, and, after being called out on it being unlikely, said "I agree, it's very hard to believe, I struggle myself" LMFAO!

Watch the video: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/09/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0S217M20151009

• US VW CEO Michael Horn testified about the Rouge Software Engineers, and, after being called out on it being unlikely, said "I agree, it's very hard to believe, I struggle myself" LMFAO!

As workers (engineers and such) will be ruling class and not this morons he won't have chance to say it. But for now he can say anything he likes. As all testimonies and courts are his allies.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Instead, Horn claimed the defeat devices were put in place by a few rogue software engineers. "This was not a corporate decision, from my point of view, and to my best knowledge today," he said. "This was a couple of software engineers who put this in for whatever reasons." Volkswagen has not been able to identify who these individuals might be, or even how many would have been involved in the scheme, according to the CEO.

I hope the CEO's resignation doesn't bring the official investigation of this corporate conspiracy to a premature end. It's eye-opening to examine how real-life conspirators (such as the Watergate Plumbers) formulated their unethical plan, put it into covert action, and maintained secrecy both before and after the plot was hatched. As the OP suggests, VW is exceptional only in being caught in an unmistakable act of fraud.

• Well, to better understand how things work you can check detailed history of Drexel Burnham Lambert and actual damage made by this guys and others similar. Also interesting is role of Giuliani and significance of it to his career.

• Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda and Mitsubishi have joined the growing list of manufacturers whose diesel cars are known to emit significantly more pollution on the road than in regulatory tests, according to data obtained by the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row

• Mitsubishi Motors has admitted falsifying fuel economy data for more than 600,000 vehicles sold in Japan.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36089558

Well, independent data showed that Mitsubishi is only one among long long list.

• And this is how bourgeoisie dictatorship works:

James Robert Liang, a veteran Volkswagen AG engineer, pled guilty in federal court on Friday to charges of conspiring to defraud US regulatory agencies and American consumers for his part in the 10-plus year emission cheating scheme.

According to the Justice Department plea deal, Liang and his co-conspirators were tasked with developing the "EA 189" diesel engine for sale in the US. However, they quickly realized that they could not design an engine that could meet the stringent US emissions limits. So instead, they designed and implemented software that would recognize when the car was being smog tested -- versus simply driving around normally -- and adjust the vehicle's emissions accordingly.

So, pure and honest directors (and owners above them) asked engineers to design engine. But this low qualified workers could not even do it. And instead they planned horrid criminal thing - they in secret developed software to cheat honest people and honest owners.

Law is the will of the ruling class transformed into legal regulations.

Print it and put above your bed. Always remember - bourgeoisie state is the machine that makes all this laws work. By lies, coercion, punishment and bullets.

• This is how capitalism works

Former Volkswagen engineer James Liang is taking the fall for his employers sins. Liang has been sentenced to 40 months in federal prison, and has been ordered to pay a $200,000 fine for his part in the German automaker's deception about diesel emissions. That fine is 10 times the amount prosecutors were seeking, according to Reuters.

Exactly as I predicted.

They in secret developed software to cheat honest people and honest owners.

:-)