Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What do you do when 30p looks more 'filmic' than 24p?
  • 28 Replies sorted by
  • Oh no, the dreaded filmic look topic. Here's how I see it. 24p has a motion signature Iike celluloid. But some here say it's actually shutter speed. Idk. I double my frame rate. Main thing imo is don't shoot people against white Wall with an on camera light. Make a set, buy kinos, China balls, c stands, flags and esp fresnels. Futz around with that for a while or a week until you get something that looks filmic. Stop filming bushes.

• Actually if you read the OP its about distribution more than a 'filmic' discussion. Thats precisely my point that I'm saying I prefer something that isn't what people do when they want to make footage 'filmic' Its the anti Filmic conventions discussion actually.....

• And being as most theatres these days ARE totally video-projector based, the question is ... what's the frequency rate of those projectors? The local ones here I'm told are like a typical computer monitor ... 60hz the guy thinks. And he takes either 24p or 30p clips for ads to be shown.

I think it would be fun to shoot something for a test in both 24 and 30 ... and see if even I could tell the difference up on the Big Screen. My guesstimate is the 30p would "fit" better ... probably without needing to repeat a frame now & then on a rotating basis.

Now, in a 50hz country, it might be different.

Neil