Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Thanks, have reached out to him through his vimeo channel, will update on here any response I get.

• ok...back on topic...so I am still annoyed about this LUT issue. I have purchased the vlog code for the camera and was looking at shooting in vlog but using a LUT overlay to help exposure when shooting. Panasonic provide a rec 709 LUT in the correct required format for this (.vlt) but ideally I would like to use my own set of LUTs in the .cube format.

I cannot see any obvious conversion software online, except for something called 'Lattice' which retails at around $200 which Is a bit out of my price range. Wondered if anyone has experince with lut conversion and possibility of using .cube files on the GH5?

• @lmackreath

I hoped for Chinese version :-)

• @lmackreath

I also added it to title post, does it count? Or we need one more for 5 as round number?

• Thats the third post for the manual....

• @Cde Yes, both the 4K and FHD image looks fantastic, even in low light I'd say. :)

• @driftwood...terrific and entertaining!

• Does the GH5 use always continuous AF in 6k photo start/stop (video) mode? So no AFS with half shutter press. GH4 works this way. GH5 manual is not very clear about this.

• @Eno The GH5 is a great 1080p performer! Huge jump up from the last few models.

• Definitely the most entertaining GH5 vid to date. Solid Nick! And the freestyle was insane!

• So bored of usual Vloggers about GH5? Lets have some fun instead...

• GH5 video noise test:

As an observation, there is definitely more noise in the 10 bit file compared to the 8 bit, I wander why?

• Ok so here is a link to the advanced users manual for the GH5

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-GH5/EG_EC_EF_EB/DC-GH5_DVQP1121ZA_eng.pdf

I looked for info on the Vlog-assist function, and it says it will only recognise .vlt files (ON PAGE 186)

so i am used to using cube files...is there some simple conversion software?

• GH5 vs A6300 test:

• Off-topic low lighting, but good job!

• In effect, dynamic range can be thought of as the height of a staircase whereas bit depth can be thought of as the number of steps.

This is a small but important distinction. Dynamic range is not measured in digital bits. It is the contrast ratio between the darkest and lightest parts of an image.

The staircase analogy is pretty good. The magnitude of the dynamic range is the ratio of the lightest to the darkest part of the range. But in your staircase analogy, the darkest possible value is the lowest point on the staircase - the floor. The height there is zero, at least for linear or gamma-type encodings. You can't take a ratio of something to zero. It's undefined. So instead we use the height of the first step as the darkest possible value. So now you see that making that first step smaller does increase the ratio. Though the actual increase also depends on the OETF (gamma curve). In a linear encoding, every bit you add halves the height of the first step and doubles the magnitude of the dynamic range. Dynamic range is not measured in bits, but there is a relationship between them.

Though practically, the bottom few steps are too noisy to use, and so it's not the height of the bottom step that determines the dynamic range. The lowest step that's not too noisy is the bottom of the dynamic range. No one agrees about how noisy is too noisy, so dynamic range measurements are not standardized.

• @monowav from playing with the 10 bit footage I can say it is a lot more gradable and a lot less prone to banding than the 8 bit stuff was on the GH4. that, along with the 400mb firmware upgrade in the summer will make it a valuable tool i feel for serious graders

• Is it worth it getting vlog if I'm not going to be recording to an external source? I'll be going straight to card in 10bit.