Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How to get Canon-like skin tones?
  • I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I can't get the formula right in Photoshop.

I'm taking portrait stills and I want to get the gorgeous color skin tones that Canon's cameras produce.

Is there any Photoshop action or method I can use in post to do so?

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • Try to analyse skintone by skin scope of grapherSCOPE. It will show you Luminance vs HUE as well as Luminance vs Saturation behavior of your favorite. You will find it at http://m2port.com/skin-scope-and-color-correction.html

• I tend to think that White Balance and Expose correctly and its easy to match to almost anything. If you don't - it can be very tricky.

I've been finding that the GH4 is certainly warmer than Canon at the same Kelvin, so i've been dialing my kelvins lower.

• Well, it isn't just one color. Obviously there is a bit more orange, and I imagine some people have created luts, but it is hard to really match the Canon color.

• Damn, I don't have a Canon camera on hand...

There isn't some Photoshop action that can emulate or at least be a starting point for this?

• This is a very interesting question, you can use a Macbeth color checker and color matching software, but you would need to borrow a Canon camera to create a profile. Canon has a distinctive look.

• Expose and white balance properly