Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH4 Firmware 2.3, V-log for $99, Epic Panasonic marketing fail
  • 1451 Replies sorted by
  • I would like to say that vimeo has introduced noise in the skies (particularly over Hilton), but I'm afraid that's only GH4 V-Log at it's best!

• @matthere artifacting caused by bad macroblocking was present when the camera was released. It was one of the first things I noticed.

• I predict and hopefully so that Panasonic will come out with a firmware upgrade that improves V-LOG when recording internally at 8 bit. By doing this, they will likely recover all the lost income and then some resulting from the free loop hole version of V-LOG. Otherwise, other small insignificant improvements with future firmware upgrades that cancel out unlicensed V-LOG will not even be worth it for those who already have the "free" version of V-LOG.

• I did some testing this morning with 10 bit and it definitely helps alot with noise, and reduces macroblocking (it's still present but subdued). Unfortunately banding still occurs. Here is a shot that's absolutely crushed with contrast.

Sky.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • @aaronchicago i would be interested to see more examples when you get a chance. I actually couldn't see banding in the image you shared, but a huge macroblock on the right side.

If you could film a lightbulb against a midrange wall that would be awesome!

• @discomandavis yeah i see that. I thought it was banding since it's in a uniform pattern like banding, but it's more like blocking. Hmmm.

• I used an extreme curve. One that I would probably never use in the real world so this is a worst case scenario.

• @aaronchicago Use the Prores HQ quality setting and the macroblock should be reduced. Record uncompressed and it should be completely gone/

• @jspatz. I used ProRes HQ. I believe the 10 bit 4:2:2 output is uncompressed from the GH4 isn't it?

• Yes, but Prores is compressed and has some artifacts although much less than internal. The output from the camera can be recorded to a desktop using something like an intensity pro in an uncompressed format.

• @jspatz you are recording ProRes422HQ 4k into the computer using an IntensityPro? The decrease in artifacts is likely do to the increased resolution and not the ProRes...

• No. I am recording proreshq on a pix-e5. Macro blocks go down with increased data rate. I am suggesting they go away completely on uncompressed. Recording through an intensity pro is one way to see.

• Uncompressed to a desktop does make the banding go away,or minimizes it greatly, HOWEVER, its not practical though for ; 1. its rather bulky to carry around. 2. the file sizes at around 2GIG per 15 sec is just too huge.

• Anybody tried Pro Res 4444 with a recorder?

• Even if v-log works great with a recorder doesn't that take away one of the best benefits of the camera which is great internal recording?

• Does anyone know, where to get V-Log in Europe?

• @tedbrah True. It is a bit of a bummer. For me, it's so close to being perfect that I'd put up with an external recorder if no artifacts or blocking were present. It's a tough call right now on whether or not to use it for anything paid.

Last year I said the dream camera would be the Blackmagic Cinema image in a GH4 body. V-Log could be that solution if they fix the noise problem.

• Even though this isn't as much of a problem using 10-bit, it points to a serious bug in the vlog firmware that needs a patch before I'll pay money for it. I was thinking of using GH4/vlog for director's reel shot coming up soon, but it involves lots of sky and sand so it would be prime territory for banding.

• @aaronchicago Yes, yea, and yes. I wish Panasonic would just realize that V-log could change the whole game if they just designed it correctly.

• Guys, even the sonys are poor in camera. I have both A7S and the A7R2 and both suffer macroblocking artefacts. Measuring the codec across against the GH4 with V Log for similar scenes the PSNR and quantisation is some 5% better on the Gh4. 10-bit thru a Convergent 7Q+ or the Shogun is a big improvement over 8 bit filming skies etc. I certainly haven't seen the kind of banding some are reporting using an external.

• We really appreciate your comments @driftwood, as every other beta tester has been quiet as a church mouse. Do you know if Panasonic is looking into the issue, or at least investigating a new LUT to reduce the artifacts.

I would love a tutorial from Panasonic on the use of this. They need to do some evangelizing to quell us natives.