Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
"The End" - Patch for GH2 Hack
  • "The End" - Patch for GH2 Hack

This is the final patch from Apefos. Read the developing history in post below.

Works for PAL and NTSC

It has all achievements from previous Apefos patches: WorkHorse, Boson, GSpot, DCT, Apefos Settings, The Patch, Denoise (see Top Settings section of P-V to read about these other patches with discussions).

Solves the Diagonal Rain Pulsing Pattern problem.

Matrix desing with fallback finetuned for isos 6400 and below, in custom design for each recording mode. Improved for best image quality considering the noise, details and texture minimizing artifacts, banding, moiré, aliasing, flickering. Also improved for denoise in Luma and Chroma channels for delivery a clean image, but preserving the texture. Deblocking matrix improved for removing macroblocking.

For flickering free images use isos from 160 to 2000. Some isos can be better than others, some isos can increase noise or flickering, some reports says that isos 320 and 2500 are no good even with other patches, so do your tests about isos behavior in your GH2.

Careful tweak in all settings of the ini file in PTool tester section for best stability and image quality with extensive tests since 2013 year resulted on this patch. These settings working together makes the datarate enough for great quality.

Datarates are in the maximum limit for stable work with the auto electronic features and native lenses: 24H = 96Mbps, 24L = 76Mbps, SH = 76Mbps, H = 60Mbps (the results in recorded videos are different from the datarate typed on the ini file)

Best gop configuration for the available datarate: 24p = gop 3, hbr = gop 3, 720p50 = gop 3, 720p 60 = gop 4 The frame rate perceiving is similar in all areas of the image, similar to intraframe gop1 patches due to the finetunings (read post below).

In Pal all recording modes are stable.

In NTSC the H and FH can be more stable than SH and FSH, but the SH and FSH are better quality. Tip: try using only one or two auto electronic features in SH and FSH in NTSC. Auto electronic features are: Auto Exposure, Auto Focus, OIS image stabilization, iDynamic, iResolution, Noise Reduction. Example: using OIS and idynamic and disable other features in SH NTSC is good idea. If using all features enabled at same time in 720p or 1080i, use the H and FH recording modes. 1080p24 24H and 24L both works ok.

The camera never freezes, no battery pull needed.

Works very good for neatvideo denoise using temporal noise reduction "1" and spatial luma noise reduction "30". In neatvideo, set the noise area in a more fine noise on the screen instead of on a gross noise area when denoising high isos. Chroma reduction in "100" with a +50 in first sliders also is good for high isos.

Stress tests was done in the 45MBps Sandisk card, but it can work in slower cards also (30MBps).

Added a second zip file with The End High Datarate version, for the datarate freaks. For use with manual lenses, avoid native lenses for more stability. Auto electronic features does not work in 720p, 1080i and HBR, avoid them. H and FH can be more stable than SH and FSH. In 24p the native lenses and the features can work, try both 24H and 24L. Datarates are: 24H = 104Mbps, 24L = 96Mbps, SH = 96Mbps, H = 88Mbps. Same gop as the stable version. If it cannot handle the recording it will stop recording and go back to stand by mode, the camera will not freeze, no need battery pull.

All the settings in the patch was finetuned to work good with the standard default stable datarate version and the image is ok. I do not know if it would worth changing firmware just to increase datarate. Maybe a datarate increase can change the balance of I/P/B frames size and improve just the I frames quality and makes the texture pulsing, more noticeable in slowmotion. Do your tests. Or just use the default version which is ok, improved for good slowmotion. (for more details read next posts below). In my tests I saw no significant benefits using the high datarate version for 720p60 NTSC in high iso 2000, it just improves I frames quality a little and introduces more pulsing due to generate higher difference from I and P quality, when doing slow motion this creates pulsing, the datarate increase is not enough to change the textures of the P frames in 720p. About 24p, it is already good datarate in the default version using the 24H record mode so there is no need to use the high version for 24p. Also, PAL lands are less frames in HBR and 720p so the camera can record more data per frame making the default version very good for PAL. Even the HBR mode which is a challenge for patches is looking pretty good in the default version. People likes comparisons, so the two versions are here for tests. My final option is to keep "The End" in camera and no more firmware change. I do not see significant reasons to use the high datarate version, maybe for HBR in NTSC mostly (read posts below).

Enjoy

the_end.zip
    the_end_high_datarate.zip
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • okay, i see a lot of apefos patches, even in other threads...i am a bit lost. I have Transcend Class 10 64GB card....so gurantieed write speed is 10MB/s.....that is 80Mbits.

Which patch do you recommend for HBR PAL user for below 80Mbits usage?

OT: now i see this is actually the old thread......admin, sry for double posting

• short spot: fsh 50i, 400 iso, 8mm samyang + 50 mm nikon. bit rate: near 45mbps. color using curves.

• Awesome. I'm installing the 120 now. Those results at ISO5000 from @producer are INSANE. I usually get terrible noise very easily. I'm also going to stick to the 3100k color and do some tests to see how the image comes out.

Have you found this hack and keeping those camera settings helps combat a cooked in image for doing some post work? I know the image falls apart pretty quickly using Moon in post work.

• I tested all 144 patches and your new NR4 patches. I can confirm END NR4 120 is very good. Better image than moon t8.

• THE END NR4 INTRA 120 seems to be the best thing I ever did. It is stable and very good quality in all recording modes. 720p60 SH is working ok with the 14-42mm kit lens with OIS enabled using manual exposure and manual focus with iDynamic disabled.

• @apefos Ok, I'll try them.

• @producer @RdC thanks for the tests, nice images!

@frullaccia thanks for careful tests. the patches on page 2 does not have correct gop tables. also quantization and matrices changed now. try the patches uploaded in post above: "apefos the end stable high intra" they are working ok for all recording modes including hbr, with best noise reduction I could find.

• @apefos About page 2 patches.

I only tested full hd, hbr and 24h modes, PAL version. The main test was done outdoor, before 8 o'clock in the morning. At that time the objects are still filled with the darkness of the night, while the sun is bright. Dealing with such a great contrast is a difficult job for the little GH2.

GOP 1. HBR. Hbr never works properly at gop 1. The only exception was with The End NR1: hbr was almost ok. Unfortunately in The End1 24h-120 I had two “stop and go” shots.

DATARATE 144. What for? Working at datarates like 144 or 138 or 152 the camera stops. No matter which card, try to stress the camera, and it will freeze. But ok, very beautiful picture. Noisy, problematic, but beautiful.

GOP 1. DATARATE 120. 24H. This is interesting. Gop 3 at 104-96 or Gop 1 at 120?

Shooting at 24h, Gop 1 is a good option. The picture is excellent. If shooting carefully, Gop 1 gives back brilliant results.

GOP 3. Gop 3 is almost beautiful like Gop 1.

Useful in both hbr and 24h mode, it is less sharp and clear than Gop 1, proving to be more Stable&Safe.

TASTE I would choose Climax or Denouement/Epilog. The End is a less predictable patch. I also found that Catharsis works fine at Gop 3.

• the patches below are very special ones. nr4 denoise fallback looks better to my eyes, it minimizes the horizontal strip lines in high iso without increasing quantization so much. main matrix also changed to calibrate the quantization for intraframe 24p and for hbr in the intraframe version. both hbr pal and ntsc working great. both 720p pal and ntsc working great. 24p 24H intraframe working around 4.6:1 ~ 5:1 compression ratio. 24L is around 6:1 compression ratio, good option for more stability. second quantization also tweaked for 120 version. 120 version is more stable than 144 and excellent quality. gop tables adjusted for all modes. this can be considered the new "high" version of "the end". now I consider there are two choices, this version for very high quality image and "the end nr4 stable" for using auto electronic features, both are here, and also the high gop3 version.

second upload is correct.

apefos_patches.zip
    apefos_the-end_stable_high_intra.zip
  • qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es_ipp_30p_fl - climax stable:

• the end little grading test:

• @Manicd No need to redo, the frame limit is just for better stability. I am waiting for you to say which version shows better image (or the advantages/disavantages of versions) to do final tweakings for stability.

Please do a careful look in NR3 vs NR4 in iso 320 and 2000. These two isos are the best to perceive noise texture differences in the versions. It seems NR3 or NR4 will be the good one... but if you like other version, please say.

• @apefos I just finished recording test of the last settings on page2 before you update frame limit. Does frame limit affect image quality? I can do testing again later for stability once I narrow down choices for image quality.

• The last upload above has all updated tweaks.

Test the stability also, with camera movements in detailed scenes.

I believe these 120 and 144 patches will not work for the auto electronic features and native lenses in 24H, better to disable the features and use manual lenses with adapters.

Please report which lens are on tests and about stability.

The 120 versions can be good option if 144 becomes unstable due to very high datarate. Maybe the 120 version will have a good average bitrate and more stable than 144.

24L has lower datarate 96 if auto electronic features and native lenses are being used. The average bitrate being high can make the 24L 96 good to use with similar average bitrate of Moon.

The higher average bitrate is due to lower quantization in the matrix and lower second quantization (Qp).

120 version is: 5:1 compression in 24H, 6:1 compression in 24L

144 version is 4,15:1 compression in 24H, 6:1 compression in 24L

• same patches now with frame limit adjusted for 24p intraframe in 120 and 144 versions:

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es_ipp_30p_fl.zip
  • Tested NR3 144 gt_es.zip in 24p. All detail is captured. No mud. Noise is there but is similar to other high quality patches. Now I can check more 144 patches for image differences. This patch is interesting because for my test scene the average bitrate recorded was 143 with max of 151. Moon was average of 89 with max of 153.

• @producer nice results in your images!

• Now the gop tables seems to be correct for hbr 30p ntsc in the 120 and 144 versions.

120 version can be a good option for people who likes intraframe gop1. It is 5:1 compression ratio in 24p.

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es_ipp_30p.zip
  • Here is a quick graded test of "THE END NR3 stable" patch:

Every clip shot with ISO5000.

Watch in 1080p !

• @Manicd @icp last uploaded patches should be fine, time for your great tests!!!

• I changed the Encoder Settings in the 120 and 144 versions to "Encoder setting 1 1080i/p=1" in an attempt to make the 24p intraframe to work properly after reading some old topics about it, gop tables seems to be correct also:

I do not know if the FSH, FH and HBR PAL will work ok in the 120 and 144 versions because when 24p is gop 1 the 50i is also gop 1, both share same gop... If things are correct 60i NTSC must be fine in gop 3.

qp10_96-3_104-3_120-1_144-1_gt_es.zip
  • Wow, you're quick @apefos. I'm interested in the new NR versions (different denoisers) and the GOP 1 24p patch, I'll try to test it asap.

• I have the 95MBps card, but to be honest I am not willing to develop intraframe patches... it is beyond my knowledge, unless I get some advices/tutorial from the "masters of hack".

• I think the matrix are ok for 24p gop1

In this last upload I used same gop tables as moon t8 for 24p

for hbr I used the same 24p gop tables

moon is using another gop table for hbr

also the gopx2 settings I typed 2 for hbr, moon is using 4

It seems that there is something related to the Encoder Settings also to make gop1 to work, and I do not know how to do.

To be honest it would be good idea @driftwood take a look on these 120 and 144 versions, he knows better how to set the gop tables, gopx2 and Encoder Settings for 24p and 50i when using gop1 intra.