Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
  • 192 Replies sorted by
  • @JackBayer no there is nothing under it, plain metal ...

• @feha Yes, the cam twisted on the cork, so i want to remove it and replace it with something better.

I see you have a 323 plate mounted there without the cork. Is there anything else under it?

• I have the gini ifocus, solid as a rock, lovely to use, easy to attach and adjust but quite a bit of play in mine so think will sell and buy another lanparte, they're sweet, no play in the one I got at all. Thought I couldn't use the gini with the MT mattebox but figured out that my riser was the wrong way round - d'oh. After switching it all is fine in that department. It feels lovely and solid, like a 50's hollywood daddy, just that bit of play I find frustrating.

• The guy has ben online for at least 2.5 years and has sold some quality stuff at very affordable price. So please lets try to be a bit indulgent with him. I say "him" purposely because it seems to be a one man business and we have to trade some customer service but for some killer prices.

• Scratch that, eBay was showing it as not existing. Followed a link through Google and it's there.

• Gini-2011 has disappeared off eBay. Not the most encouraging seller to be honest.

• @JackBayer

I have already removed a "cork" it's glued to it. I recommend you get a quick release plate and place one such ... Edit: sorry i did not understood your question ... you mean you twisted on GH2 body it self ?

qr.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 959K
  • Removing the cork?

Hi,

I was shooting a concert yesterday on my Ginirig. When I wanted to take some pictures I grabbed my GH2 with my right hand of course and shot the stills. When I continued filming I realized that the follow focus wasn´t touching the lens gear anymore because by just holding the cam on its grip it twisted a little bit on the cork. I have grip tape on the GH2´s bottom and it is tightened to the base plate as humanly possible.

So now I´m thinking of removing that cork and I am wondering if anyone has any experience to share on that matter.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for wrong posting before.

• @bitcrusher I had three orders, they delivered fast and accurate ... (from e-bay seller: gini-2011)

• Just got a gini rig a week ago. Very nice stuff from a unreliable seller, my rig was missing 2 parts sent 2 messages 7 days ago.

Its not like he doesn't understand english but he sucks at communication. I think he is ether too busy to check his e-mail or just doesn't care. Ether way be warend that he is not %100 reliable. Sucks because otherwise its a killer rig.

EDIT: Finally got back to me. He will ship me the missing parts : )

• Thank you very much.

• @xsa here is a short review from my friend Alan

i will make one too very soon

• How is the latest FF from gini rigs?is there anybody can give feedback please

• @maurits is your matte box with swing-away ?

• @maurits it works for the rig, but not quite well for the cage ...

cage_problem.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 853K
    cage_problem_2.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 803K
    rig_ok.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 852K
  • @maurits Thank you very much, yes i will have to configure your way ... Looks great!

• @feha You will have to switch your gearbox around to use a matte box, short lenses and the iFocus together. The iFocus is too big to use with a matte box the way it is positioned in your first set of images, there is just not enough room. You will probably have to get a different type of lens gear too. One that sits not so close to the lens barrel (this is TrusMT D100MB1 and TrusMT lens gear).

_DSC8331.jpg
    1024 x 681 - 218K
    _DSC8337.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 228K
  • I will be ordering a Cinematics matte box, the forum deal ... Just wonder how it would fit, as this iFocus is a big one and my 50mm canon can be to short ...

• @feha Much obliged, thanks! That is exactly what I needed to know... I am planning to do a small video review on the simpler TrusMT matte box, but like you you I only have one camera that does video. I did put my 4x5" view camera on the rig as a demo camera, but that looked kind of stupid... :)

• @maurits

yes it is possible, as the tubes are made in two sections, i removed the back one to get place for lcd ... , top sections is about 1/4 th of the tube length (rods standard) ... So you can remove any but not both on the same side ... they are four in total ... Added some more pictures ... I will make a review but for now have only one video camera (GH2) ...

cage1a.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 717K
    cage1b.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 719K
    cage1c.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 644K
    cage1d.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 704K
  • @feha Looks tempting, nice set! I see in your images that the cage has upright/vertical tubes on three corners, not on all four. Is it possible to move the one on the front right side to the back? Because I have several lenses where the follow focus (same one as yours) gear needs to be positioned really close to the camera body. The way it is configured now, that front tube would obstruct that.

• @tonalt no you can't change the battery, I added a quick release plate (manfrotto), so i can shift and remove GH2 very fast ... also that shoulder pad you ordered is not good, plastic and uncomfortable (i had one) ... I plan to buy this one: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/180705190416

• @feha Oh man, that cage is so tempting. Are you able to change battery with that? Today was the first real shooting day with Gini rig, couldn't be happier. However I find that silicone shoulder pad could be more comfortable. Ordered different one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370498200477 let's hope it's better...

I have also that rubber lens gear and i think it sucks ass! Slips all the time. I'd say stick with the plastic ones like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lens-Gear-Ring-70-5mm-Follow-Focus-Mod-0-8-New-/270760783632

The fit wasn't perfect for my lens (50mm Minolta). But I added silicone wrist strapt like this http://www.dealextreme.com/p/basketball-star-silicone-bracelet-wrist-strap-yaoming-11-2-pack-white-24049 and now the fit is perfect and doesn't slip.

• @Brian202020 these lens gears are huge, i really do not recommend as the bolt is huge ... else they work great, but will try to find other type of lens gears ...

• Ok thanks, I thought the it was a lens gear that had gears 360 degrees around. I didn't notice the blue part in the photo.