Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung NX1, $1300 4K flagman
  • 1157 Replies sorted by
  • With the new announced features I am placing an order for the camera. I just love the look, especially skin tones, that comes right out of it.

• Converter

Supports Windows and Mac OS X (10.7+) platforms.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rockymountainsmovieconverter/

Simple doc in following link.

http://sourceforge.net/p/rockymountainsmovieconverter/wiki/Home/

It is FREE.

• Note to NX1 owners

Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC Wide Angle Lens for Samsung NX is $235 on Amazon.

Amazing price for such lens.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00752R2KC/

• Great autofocus tracking test.

• Just as the original Nikon D1 and Canon D30 were game changers in their era against the film world, the NX1 is a game changer for the camera industry as well. Samsung has shown that they can develop a sensor that competes against the very best in the industry and put it in a body that can compete against some pretty hefty competition when only minor idiosyncrasies being the limiting factor.

With the 16-50/2-2.8 and 50-150/2.8, you’ve pretty much have a combo that will let you focus on your photography and videography and cover 95% of focal lengths you may want.

http://www.slrlounge.com/samsung-nx1-vs-full-frame-cmos/

• "Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 AS UMC Wide Angle Lens for Samsung NX is $235 on Amazon. Amazing price for such lens."

... Or, you can get 30mm F2.0 Samsung pancake lens for the same price. One stop slower, but tiny, light weight, and auto focus with in-camera distortion correction. Great options.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-30mm-Pancake-lens-Cameras/dp/B003FWLGIK/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421737101&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+nx+lenses

• @DMZ

I have one, so I know :-) Yet price is not same for new lens. And for manual focusing video Samyang is much much better.

• ... Talking about NX lenses ....

I have the 12-24mm F4-5.6. It is sharp from corner to corner, low distortion, and great color. I am very pleased with it. The price is good for a pro-IQ UWA lens, even though it does not feel pro-made. Lots of plastic, but light weight and small for an UWA. It accepts filters, which is a great feature not all UWA's have.

I am using it for stills, so I have no idea about its performance for video. Because of its weight, it may work well on stabilizer like the Nebula 4000.

I paid $380 for a like-new one on eBay. It used to be for about $460 on Amazon, but now it is $529 :(. Still not too expensive for the IQ you get from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-12-24mm-4-0-5-6-Camera-Black/dp/B00FB2XA18/ref=sr_1_27?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421739836&sr=1-27&keywords=samsung+nx+lenses

• Note that at http://www.adorama.com/bundles/ISGNX1 Adorama now includes fast Lexar 64Gb card and Rode Video Mic Pro. Same is also true for kits.

• "Note that at http://www.adorama.com/bundles/ISGNX1 Adorama now includes fast Lexar 64Gb card and Rode Video Mic Pro. Same is also true for kits."

Be aware when you add to cart it says "Please Note! This Item is on the way to our warehouse and is expected in a few days" but I received an email from them immediately after buying saying it's backordered.

• Buts that's hella good deal Geoffbasset. I guess it's a response to gh4 price drop?

• Don't get me wrong it's an amazing deal, just wanted people here to be aware that they will not receive it right away.

Very much looking forward to receiving and using the camera. Believe it or not, what finally convinced me to buy is them adding in camera 2.35:1 crop guides. I shoot mainly for theater because I'm working at one where I handle video advertising, so that feature is a gigantic selling point for me.

• Buts that's hella good deal Geoffbasset. I guess it's a response to gh4 price drop?

Such deals are usually retailer idea. I think NX1 need more push due to Samsung image in photo area.

Yet Panasonic takes this camera very seriously. As far as I got their mood - they are afraid, very afraid.

• If Panasonic is so afraid, why are they taking for every to send out the firmware update on the GH4? That update is literally gonna make it or break it for me. Only thing holding me from this camera is lenses and figuring out how to adapt my Canon and Nikon glasses with it.

• If Panasonic is so afraid, why are they taking for every to send out the firmware update on the GH4?

What you expect to see?

Only thing holding me from this camera is lenses and figuring out how to adapt my Canon and Nikon glasses with it.

Well, lenses are no problem. Their top zooms, 85mm, 60mm lenses are top notch. I also hope to see more of their pro F1.4 line.

And adapters are no different to m43, work perfect.

• Hi

I have received a test model of the NX1 for PV. I am new to Samsung, I only have all 4 GH cameras from Panasonic.

I can only tell here my first my impressions about this camera how it handles etc. I have it here with the 16-50 2-2.8 lens which is great.

When I got it out of the box it felt good. Heavy and the moneys worth. The lens is, of course compared to the Panasonic 12-35 huge and very heavy which makes it a little bit front heavy when you hold it for a longer time.

The autofocus it great, responds fast and seemingly very reliable. I like the menu, which is clear and differnet modes are fast accessable. The screen is probably movable enough for overhead and on the ground pictures, but I am used to the 270° swivel of the GH series, so I feels a bit limited to me. Also, the screen is always on the back side, where the GH4 you can turn it towards the camera to protect it.

The pictures in lower light with 1600 and 3200 ISO are great. Not a lot of noise, very nice, better than with the GH4 12-35.

Through the APS-C sensor, the DOF is smaller which is nice.

The different video settings are easy to change and maybe even faster than in the GH4.

The videos do not playback with VLC but with the Zoom Player. But I can not import the to Edius, my editing system. To convert everything before using seems unpractical for me though.

Used it again this afternoon and the handling is really nice. The buttons are placed nicely and I like the fact, that I can hit the replay button also with the right thumb. The video button on the other hand is a little harder to find with the index finger without looking and needs some practice. I like the fact, that you can use the same setting for video and photo, and that you do not have to switch in video mode for that.

These are just s few things I saw when I used the NX1 a bit.

If you have anything what I shall try or test for you, let me know.

• I got my NX1 in mid of December and I made the same observations - but my experience is mainly in stills photography. The only exception is the myth of the camera weight. The camera itself is not heavier than GH3/4 (550g vs 560g GH4 vs 550g GH3 - based on specs on dpreview.com). Most people think that probably because when they get it with the awesome 16-50mm F2-2.8 lens, than this setup feels, and is, quite heavy. But it is all the lens (a fast, pro zoom lens for 1.5x crop will never be as light as one for 2x crop).

When I put a wide angle lenses on GH3 (7-14mm) and NX1 (12-24mm), the NX1 feels subjectively about the same or slightly lighter than the GH3. The NX1 feels better in had to me, so I like the slightly larger size (larger size but not heavier.

• I ment the total weight of camera with 16-50 lens.

• It'll be an interesting next few months. Panasonic's and Samsung's firmware updates should be here soon. I'll guess we'll see who ends up on top. Just from my casual observation, I haven't seen an NX1 video that's knocked my socks off yet. Love their direction and drive, though.

• @AKED: I did not mean to criticize your post, I like what you wrote :). Perhaps I should have been more clear (well, it was before my morning coffee ...).

I mentioned the weight of the NX1 in comparison to GH4 because I see frequently that people, and reviewers, are saying that the NX1 is too heavy, instead to clarify that it is heavy only due to the lens.

I am looking forward you read more about your experience with the NX1 system in the future.

• I mentioned the weight of the NX1 in comparison to GH4 because I see frequently that people, and reviewers, are saying that the NX1 is too heavy, instead to clarify that it is heavy only due to the lens.

And NX system has more light pancakes (hope to see even more :-) ).