Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Nikon D750 topic
  • 97 Replies sorted by
  • Im thinking about getting this camera. It looks great but I dont see much people talking about it.

• The Nikon D750 is an interesting new full-frame DSLR optimized for video. It manages this by compromising slightly its photographic performance while still remaining close to other high-end Nikon offerings.

Image quality is certainly good and competitive among full-frame cameras. Noise is quite low while dynamic-range is high and metering quite sophisticated. Its 24 megapixels CMOS sensor is behind an anti-alias filter which prevents it from achieving critical sharpness.

http://www.neocamera.com/camera/nikon/d750/review

• First go with the video of this camera.

• I am loving the color science of the Nikon D750. Out of all the cameras I owned in the last 6 years this my favorite as of 2015.

• @AJA - great vids! I really like the grading/colors in the first, has a cinematic feel to it considering the "journalist interview" style. Looking forward to the rest of your vids.

I haven't really explored the vid aspects of my D750 yet but for those interested, here's my non-pro's take shooting my friends wedding: http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3532

Plan on getting a Atomos Blade to getting around the recording limit for now... hopefully Vitaliy might be able to hack this in the future? ^_^

• Nikon Corporation is developing new firmware for its Nikon D4S, Nikon D810, and Nikon D750 DSLR cameras, for release this summer, 2015. The new firmware will provide support for timecode and recording command functions with HDMI output to external recorders (make them able to recognize start and stop of recording).

• Nikon D750 is another excellent full-frame DSLR from Nikon. Sitting comfortably in their camera lineup above the "entry-level" full-frame D610 and beefy, high-res 36.6MP D810, the D750 offers photographers a bit more in the performance category like a higher-end model, but more control in the megapixel department with high-res -- but not too high-res -- 24MP files. For videographers, too, the D750 offers a host of pro-level amenities, such as an articulated LCD, uncompressed HDMI out and stepless aperture adjustment, to make a great all-in-one multimedia camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d750/nikon-d750A.HTM

• Thanks Turbobb. I have been so busy latley but we are planning a 30 secound sports conercial. I will be using the D750. Lets see how it performs. Ill check out the wedding video when I get home.

• “C” Version Firmware 1.02

• Camera operation is now more reliable.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/141.html

• What do you guys think about the Filmmakers kit ? Its really a deal , right ? With 3 lens , a mic and a Atomos Ninja 2 for U$ 3700?

• That's a great deal for a really nice FF DSLR.

• Nikon D750 firmware version 1.10

• An External recording control option has been added to the HDMI item in the SETUP MENU. If the camera is connected via HDMI to a third-party recorder that supports the Atomos Open Protocol (the Atomos SHOGUN, NINJA2, or NINJA BLADE), selecting On allows camera controls to be used to start and stop recording. More information is available in a supplementary manual.
      Note:Choose an option other than 576p (progressive) or 480p (progressive) for HDMI > Output resolution in the SETUP MENU.
    • Fixed the following issues: 

• The brightness of the live view photography display would not change when a command dial was rotated to adjust exposure compensation with On (Auto reset) selected for b Metering/exposure > b3 Easy exposure compensation > Easy exposure compensation in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
      • Although the preview button would stop the lens down to maximum aperture when assigned the Preview role, the maximum aperture indicator would not appear in the monitor. * In rare cases, the shutter would not be released when the user attempted to take photographs in movie live view. * About 4 seconds of static could be heard on audio recorded with external HDMI recorders during movie live view.
      • The shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity displayed in the monitor during movie live view would differ from values in the final movie file.
      • Part of the focus point would disappear if the user zoomed in while the framing grid was displayed.
      • Volume could sometimes not be adjusted if movies were played with indicators hidden during full-frame playback (None (image only)).
      • Exposure compensation would fail to produce the desired results if a negative value was selected when NEF (RAW) images were processed using the NEF (RAW) processing option in the RETOUCH MENU.
      • Images would in rare cases fail to record correctly with HDR (high dynamic range) selected in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU.
      • If On was selected for Exposure smoothing during interval timer photography, every frame after the first would be overexposed.
      • File numbers were not assigned in the proper sequence.
      • The focus point would not be displayed in the correct location in the monitor.
      • In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > Location data > Position display.
      • In some languages, characters or parts of characters would be missing from the SETUP MENU > AF fine-tune > List saved values display.
      • In some regions, nothing would be displayed when Conformity marking was selected in the SETUP MENU.
    • Some help text has been changed.

• Optimal vibration reduction is now available with vibration reduction lenses.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/157.html

• With nothing but the D5 in sight for 2016 and prices of older cameras dropping, I finally ordered a D750. If it does not shoot decent Video in half the light my D5300 needs, I will send it back.

• @MikeLinn damn that is impressive, Mattias Burling does really nice reviews I reckon. Always interesting to watch his videos. Cute dog too!

Really want a D750 now. That US$1,295 price earlier was crazy cheap!

• I am getting a "new made for USA" model from B&H for $1895 delivered the next day (today) to my door. They have a 30 day "no quivel" return policy.

I refuse to deal with FleaBay/PayPal and would not like the nightmare of a return or repair of a "grey" camera.

• It has been nearly/over one year since I had a Nikon in my hands. I can't tell you how nice it feels. So much better than an A7 or A7sII Big buttons all in the right places, where I can find them by feel in the dark. Intuitive menu system Fast, accurate AF Auto ISO that actually works. Colors that are very close to what my eye sees.

Passed the first test. D750 with 24-120 f/4 Nikkor. Side by side with my A7s and 28-135 f/4 Cine lens. I cannot use flash or Video lights to supplement the poor/low light at our Church Service. I also have to compensate for window daylight and Movie Screen with f-stop 4-9 and usually 8 or 9. So I have to shoot between 5.000 and 10,000 ISO

I used external recorders for both which gave the advantage to the A7s because It DownRes 4k to 1080P30 with my 7Q+. The D750 was output 1080P30 to my Ninja II with the same ProRes Codec. However, the D750 image I produced without PostProcessing was better to my eye because of the color. The moire/artifacts/noise were nearly equal. If I had the D750 before the CandleLight Service it probably would have been a different story.

I finally got my adapter for the HDMI. I will be recording 1080P60 with the 7Q+ Tomorrow I will test the D750 at the different poor/low light of the Bowling Alley.

• @RRRoger, I used the D750 once for a photo gig and I love it. I am waiting to buy one, hopefully the price can come down a little more after the rumored D5 is announced. I didn't get to try the video but I have also heard it quit good. I can imagine it will be a great fit with the black magic video assist recorder that I have. You said your adapter for HDMI came, is that adapter for your monitor or I am trying to understand why you will need an adapter to connect the camera to a monitor through HDMI.

• You need to buy a good used D750 to really get the price down. Still not positive I will keep it (D500 has been announced) so glad I bought new with money back guarantee.

A lot of Cameras, Monitors, and Recorders use different size HDMI ports. My pile of cables did not include one with a mini (C) plug on each end. The adapter came first so I tried it and it would only work on the camera end. Now, I am using a heavy but good cable with straight mini on each end that can be plugged in either way, I am waiting/looking for a much thinner cable.

Still experimenting with different settings, I expect to surpass the video quality I get with the A7s and 4k recorder in moderate low light (now days that is 4,000 to 8,000 ISO) at f/8.

• In July of 2015, we announced that the shutter in some Nikon D750 digital SLR cameras manufactured in October and November of 2014 may not function normally, sometimes resulting in shading of a portion of images. Since that time, we have learned that the same issue may also affect D750 cameras manufactured from December, 2014 through June, 2015.

For those who have already purchased a D750 and would like to have their camera serviced for this issue, Nikon service centers will service cameras as indicated below. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused.

Identifying affected D750 cameras

To check whether or not your camera may be one of those affected by this issue, click the Check Your Serial Number link and enter your D750's serial number as instructed. . If your D750 camera is one of those that may be affected, instructions for obtaining service will be displayed. If your D750 camera is not one of those to which this issue may apply, rest assured that service to your D750 camera as to this issue is not necessary and you may continue using your D750 camera without concern for this issue.

Resolution

If your D750 camera may be affected, as confirmed with the serial number check above, you will be provided with the necessary information to obtain service for this issue free of charge. Once your D750 camera is received by Nikon, your D750 camera’s shutter will be examined and replaced, and your D750 camera returned to you free of charge, even if your D750 camera warranty has expired.

• Wrote up a kinda lengthy comment to a friend about why to get the D750 for him, but then thought I might as well share it here in a post too as well, just if anybody else would like to refer to a lengthy summary of why to get a D750:

Go with the Nikon D750, it is a killer general purpose FX DSLR especially in low light. Read this reviews, including lots from people who have been lifelong Canon shooters but now the D750 means they can no longer deny the compelling case to ditch Canon for Nikon:

http://www.rossharvey.com/reviews/nikon-d750-review

("The above image, imported into Lightroom with the exposure pushed +5 stops, is below. Mind boggling detail recovery! The depth of detail in the dark shadow areas seems to defy logic, they are essentially black in the original image. Stunning.")

("Stellar performance from the D750! It has kept pace with the undisputed DXOMark DSLR low light king!")

https://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-d750-best-wedding-dslr-ever/

("In other words, people have been saying “it’s a matter of preference” for years, and sure, Canon and other companies do make amazing cameras. However when I tally up the real-world benefits and drawbacks of each camera on the market, the D750 wins by a margin that any wedding or portrait photographer will find hard to ignore…")

http://shotkit.com/megan-allen/

("Interestingly enough, I started out last year on Canon, and shot all my weddings on a Canon 6D and a Canon 5D Mark III.

I started on Canon because it was what the camera store had suggested, however, after the Nikon D750 released, I was impressed by the reviews coming out, and watched many of my friends and colleagues make the jump to Nikon.

One weekend I decided to test the Nikon D750 out, and that was all it took. While Canon was fine, Nikon has allowed me to shoot in a manner I feel is more intuitive to my style, and it’s really allowed me to push my abilities to the next level. So, without further ado, I give you my Shotkit!

Nikon D750 x2: Like I said, I was (and still am) fairly new to the photography world, but switching from Canon to Nikon was like having a pair of blinders taken off for me.

The Nikon D750 is unbelievably light, the autofocus is nearly mind-reading at times, it’s a low-light monster, and crazy sharp. The dynamic range is just mind-blowing, and to this day I’ll look at files and shake my head in disbelief at how much you can truly work them.")

https://hofferphotography.com/2015/02/26/the-3-reasons-why-we-switched-to-nikon/

("If you had asked me 1 month ago, I would have told you that our next major equipment change was going to be when we switched to a mirrorless system. I didn’t want to change.. but these 3 things changed my mind:")

http://www.wirkshopseries.com/why-i-gave-up-on-a-30-year-relationship-with-my-camera-2/

("During a conversation about cameras and gear, a wise photographer said to me: “it’s not the arrow, it’s the Indian.” (Meaning the camera has nothing to do with it. It’s the photographer that matters.)

I believed him and stuck to that motto for years, slowly upgrading my gear only when necessary. The last new camera I bought was two years ago and I still shoot with a 10-year-old camera and even older lenses. Fast forward to a few days ago when I rented a Nikon D750 and found myself doing something I honestly never thought I would do.

After being a lifetime Canon shooter, I am now a Nikon shooter.

Hell has frozen over, pigs are flying, and the fat lady has indeed sung. However you want to say it, I’m amazed that I now have two Nikon D750’s sitting in my studio ready for action.

I have been an avid Canon shooter for about 30 years. The very first photo I ever took was on my Dad’s Canon FTB. I’ve shot Canon cameras since then with unwavering loyalty. So why the change?

It wasn’t easy to make this decision, but all it took was shooting one wedding with the new Nikon D750 and it was lights out for my long-standing relationship with Canon.

I had heard the Nikon D750 was pretty much the perfect wedding camera. Words like “game changer” were being thrown around and most of my friends were backing it. For years I heard how superior Nikon’s auto-focus was to Canon’s, but I wasn’t a true believer, nor did I have the financial resources to make the switch. So I stuck with my Canon gear, fighting frustration with not only autofocus but also ISO quality. There were (and still are) things about Nikon cameras that don’t appeal to me. I have never liked the ergonomics of Nikons; the placement of the dials never agreed with my hands compared to Canon. I can use my Canon cameras super fast and have nailed great photos because of the ability to spin the shutter speed and aperture dials at lighting speeds. That combined with the massive price tag to switch systems never allowed me to consider it.

Until now.

Enter the Nikon D750. Finally, a camera has arrived that makes it undeniably hard to ignore, but more importantly, makes it financially possible to jump ship.")

http://shotkit.com/imagine-photography/

("Nikon D750 x 2 – The switch from Canon to the Nikon D750 was terrifying for us. Why? Because we had been with canon for our entire careers, which for Jo was a 20 year period. We just never touched anything else. I am happy to report that these little beauties have been a godsend. Missed shots due to focus issues? Gone. Soft images? Gone. Heavy body? Gone. We have a keeper rate well over 95% now, and the files are sharp, have brilliant color tones, the high ISO noise is beautiful (almost film-like when done right), the features such as WiFi and tilt screen (which I actually felt were gimmicky when I learned of them) are actually rather helpful and we use the latter a lot during each wedding, and we have way less body ache from carrying the cameras in our Holdfast Money Maker straps during an 8 hour day. It’s been pure bliss from word go. We were lucky to see the cameras 1st hand at WPPI, and the folks at Nikon were more than happy to show us the features and cool bells and whistles of the bodies.")

https://fstoppers.com/education/how-i-have-my-camera-set-shoot-weddings-73441

("The Nikon D750 is one of the most talked about cameras in a long time. It’s a small lightweight body that packs a major feature set and has even lured Nikon D4 shooters to "upgrade." ")

http://zachashcraft.com/blog/2014/11/20/nikon-d750-reviewpart-1-video

("This has been a strange few months for me. After a lot of thought and a few gear rentals, I ended up selling all of my Canon cameras and lenses. After a brief few months with the Sony a7R and a7S, I ended up here, with a Nikon D750. ")

http://soulphotography.uk.com/rupesh-akshis-wedding-a-brief-review-of-the-nikon-d750/

("I’ve been shooting with Canon cameras for over 9 years & I kid you not, I used to swear total allegiance to the brand. I would even play trump cards with Nikon users going all out to prove that Canon was the better choice of the two. But now having used the D750 on a handful of occasions, I have to admit Canon have fallen behind Nikon by a mile. I have therefore jumped ship & joined the Nikon faithful.")

http://ryanbrenizer.com/2014/10/review-nikon-d750-and-d810/

http://sebastiendamour.com/blog/2014/10/27/why-i-switched-from-canon-to-the-nikon-d750/

http://www.scuffinsphotography.com/cameras/switched-canon-to-nikon-wedding-photography/

The Nikon 85mm f1.8G is a highly rated lens which is very well rated, or the even cheaper Nikon 85mm f/1.8D which is the one I own and use.

If I was going into pro photography( instead of the filmmaking I'm doing now. With only the rare, and low paid, photo gig), then I'd be buying myself a Nikon D750 in heartbeat along with a D7100 as a cheap back up body. (as don't want to ever go to a job with only one body. And especially for live events, such as weddings, you want a second body on you as you don't have time to swap lenses. And the D7100 I rate more highly than any Canon APS-C for photos, and broadly as good as a stock 5Dmk3 for video http://www.eoshd.com/2013/02/nikon-d5200-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/)

The D750 is a damn fine DSLR for video too, arguably the best there is (if we ignore for a moment the obscenely priced 1D C :-o ):

(D750 vs BMPCC!)