Personal View site logo
Sony F55 - Global Shutter, 4K raw (internal) 180fps
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Sony has obviously learned to listen. And not to charge for every upgrade.

• New announced functions for v2.0 (formerly v1.3)

1) New XQD Memory Card with adapter.

We are officially adding support for the XQD media format, and with the appropriate adapter, can be used in the cameras.

2) Mount adapter, LA-FZB1/ LA - FZB2 support

B4 mount 2/3" adapters support. Details about the new lens adapters will be provided at IBC

New announced function for v3.0 (formerly v1.4).....

1) HFR Full Scan Mode, and Center Scan Mode

In v2.0, we are going to support Full Scan Mode for HFR, no windowing of the imager sensor.

In addition, we will support Center Scan Mode on the CMOS sensor in v3.0. Maximum frame rate is the same as Full Scan mode.

2) 2K RAW Center Scan Mode for S16mm lens

We decided to support Center Scan Mode on the CMOS sensor with Audio for S16mm lens users. Worldwide, there are a lot of S16mm lenses hence we were asked by many to support. By using S16mm lenses you can record MPEG50, XAVC HD, HDCAM SR File and 2K RAW (w/R5) with audio.

3) Interval recording

This function has been heavily requested, especially by nature, documentary shooters. More details will be provided about this at a later time.

4) AES/EBU audio support

Officially supported, coming in v3.0

5) Preset Sony Look Profile

We will install the same MLUTs, like what we did with the F65 and our RAW Viewer software, more details later

6) User definable clip name

Set your own clip naming

7) Embedded clip name meta on SDI output

For using external recorders which can record proxy, etc for editorial and for on-set dailies, we will provide clip name information on SDI output as metadata. (Third party recorder vendors need to support it, but the data is being output from the camera)

8) 2K RAW on 50p and 59.94p TC base

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/NEW-Firmware-timeline-charts-and-new-information-September-12th/m-p/181017#M5626

• We are very pleased to announce v1.2 firmware for the F5, F55, and AXS-R5 recorder. This is a major update and includes powerful functionality not previously available. Major features are listed below

Major Features in this update:

• SR File format, 4:2:2 and RGB variants

• Camera ID + Reel # naming mode. SxS and RAW files

USB Wirless LAN mode - Attaching the supplied USB wireless module, IFU-WLM3 to the camera. Smartphone, tablets connectivity via Wi Fi

*x1.3 Anamorphic support - Display image without distortion in the VF, and output image without distortion "4K/2K to HD Conv" in the "Output Setting" of the Video Menu to "Anamo x1.3' or "Anamo x2"

Various improvements and enhancements

Firmware - http://community.sony.com/sony/attachments/sony/large-sensor-camera-F5-F55/4206/1/PMW-F55_V12_1.20_81_2013-07-25_00-35-54_firmware.zip

• I wonder how much of that is down to post though? Think of it this way: for still, lots of people mess with Adobe RGB. From experience I know that you never send Adobe RGB to an end user, since the color will look washed out.

Un-processed raw stuff does look "washed out". I know that I will sometimes shoot still stuff lit flat if I expect to manipulate it a lot in raw. I think most people wouldn't know what to do with my raw files.

Perhaps the gamut is so big that either a) people don't know what to do with it, since it's not what they're used to (even pro graders) or b) software isn't really designed to take advantage of stuff with such a big gamut? The GH cams don't have anything that approaches "raw", so it's hard to compare. Well, we can compare results, but for a tool that is so new, I don't think the comparisons will be fair.

Of course, that's assuming that even 1/10th the hype is true. Time will tell.

• @shian you beat me to the punch. I actually like the way the Canon looks over the Sony in that video test. Yes it seems all Sony sensors have a sort of washed out video look to them....even the GH-3. I remember a couple of years ago Rodney Charters made a comment on video about Sony sensors never looking film like and more like video. That's always been my observation as well.

• Sony has a problem - maybe it's just me, but on this cam, on the F5, and on F65, the colors look all wrong. They seem too video-y. Not like film at all. Instead of leapfrogging RED and Arri, they're still playing catch-up, and doing it poorly. Notice the tendency for skin tone to either be too desaturated, or skew yellow. The red in the dark room looks pinkish. I see this with all Sony sensors even the GH3. It's something they keep doing with their sensors, and it just screams at me that it's a Sony sensor.... and video. Unlike their 3 chip cameras which look incredible, they are way behind the curve with single chip systems IMO.

• I think I like the S Log's properties better than the C Log's. Still, the price difference is enough to make me like the 1D as much as the F55. That was some of the better footage that I have seen from the 1DC @last_SHIFT 's filmmaker included. It felt more like a better representation of what I would shoot or look for in a side by side or test.

• This looks like a really good camera for the commercial world!

• I don't know - maybe it's just me. But whenever certain 'filmmakers' (I will not mention any names) reviews/compares a Canon with any other camera they almost always try to find some 'positive' about the Canon - even when its clearly over-matched. 'Oh, but it does this well'; "oh, but the Canon is more cinematic" - you can say the same fucking thing about any camera, tablet, mobile phone, etc...

• F55, yes! and then what does RED do? (litigate but thats another thread)

I think the F55 is one of the reasons there has been so little activity from Panasonic in the last 18 months. Notice how much the layout of the F5/55 resembles the Panasonic 4K pro "concept" camera they displayed at NAB last year? Panasonic and Sony are huge competitors and the F55 is the target Panasonic broadcast needs to answer.

sony1.jpg
    800 x 617 - 90K
  • US pricing

• PMW-F5 CineAlta 4K Camera $19,400
    • PMW-F55 CineAlta 4K Camera $34,900
    • AXR-R5 RAW Recorder $6,300
    • AXS-512S24 512Gb Memory Card $2,100
    • AXS-CR1 card reader $660.00
    • DVF -EL100 OLED Viewfinder $5,800
    • DVF-F350 3.5” LCD Viewfinder $3,800
    • DVF-L700 LCD viewfinder $5,000
    • SCL-PK6/F PL mount six lens package $24,600
    • SCL-PK3/F PL mount three lens package $13,600

Via: http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/PRICING/td-p/37285

• 96 page Booklet on the Sony F55 by Jon Fauer, ASC / 12mb PDF

http://www.fdtimes.com/2012/11/27/sony-f5-and-f55-96-page-report/

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Thanks for the article on color filters. It was a good read.