Personal View site logo
I Love BMX - A Self Portrait
  • Opinions, criticism, anything you'd like to say is welcome. Shot with my GH2.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • I ride BMX as well. where are you from?

• I am from wooster ohio. In columbus right now.

• I'm in Indiana, about 60 miles north of Louisville. do names Marcas Grubbs & Chris Wilson ring a bell? Both ride for shitluck clothing, 1 rides for Metal (Chris has a signature frame The Moon Unit from metal) and Marcas is AM for WTP. Chris & I have been best friends for a LONG time, Marcas was from a few towns away and out of nowhere turned into a beast.

• @brant_moore

Nice little doc Brant. I rode BMX for Mongoose back in the early 90's. Times were different back then. No foam pits to practice the crazy stuff, we built jumps off the end of docks and practiced while jumping into the lake. No city built ramp parks either. All jumps and ramps were built in the woods somewhere, where you'd be lucky if they lasted a year, before the city would tear them down. I grew up in the wrong time, I wish I was young enough and into BMX now. There is so much more opportunity now. I used to ride with Tom Haugen sometimes at some dirt jumps in New Hope Minnesota we all called "Dover". Anyway thanks for the video, it brought back a lot of memories.

• @GravitateMediaGroup - Thats awesome! Those names definitely ring a bell, haven't met either of them though. Any rad trails out that way?

@Brian202020 It is never too late to pick up a bike and ride it around. I have several friends 30 & 40+ who still ride. Keep those memories alive, if anyone near you who rides is like me, I am sure they would love to hear all the stories from back then. I know I enjoyed reading yours.

• @brant_moore

Great video!

I grew up in Irvine California in the mid 80’s. I had a 6 mile ride to school each way. It wasn’t uphill both ways and it never snows in socal. However, I did have the Bright Pink GT Freestyle bike and a lot of time to ride.

I never got very good at flatland which was really popular back then. However, I always wanted to ride vert but my parents just wouldn’t allow it.

When my son turned 6 and asked to go to our local skate park I jumped at the opportunity. I bought him a skateboard, full pads, an Eastern freestyle bike, and a full face motorcycle helmet. I also took the opportunity to fulfill one of my childhood dreams. I bought an Eastern bike for myself.

However, I had grown a little since I was a kid. I am now 6 foot 4 inches tall so finding a bike that fit wasn’t easy.

I got out there and rode the street course with my son and it really was an excellent experience. I had always wanted to drop in on the half pipe with a bike. I finally got up the nerve and tried. I decked straight to flat bottom but all of the kids cheered because I was the only Dad out there willing to try to be a kid again.

I only tried the half pipe once but that was enough. I wouldn’t trade that experience with my son for anything. He got pretty good on the bike but quit after 6 months because he didn’t want to get hurt for the climbing season.

If any of you have young children that show an interest in BMX or skateboarding go out there and try it with them. It will allow you to share the thrill of it with your kids and it will also allow you to be out there and make sure they are staying safe.

Here are a couple of videos I did at our local skate park.

• @mpgxsvcd Hell yes, that is all so awesome. If you wanted to continue riding I would recommend a frame with a top tube length around 21.5" or even 22". Longer is better for taller people. Thank you for your kind words.

I actually commented on the second video on youtube. I would love love love love to ride that skatepark.